How to get Pips on the DLC?

I`m not sure if you can get them when starting on the big asteroid currently. The big start has 2 planetoids: the big terra and smal oily swamp. With other starts you get a third that`s a radioactive forest and has pips (except the forsest start which has pips right away, then the third is a swamp).

I don`t remember if the further palnetoids have pips. I`m pretty sure this will get adressed in the future though.

Ah, so if I start on the small asteroid then there should be another small forest asteroid I can fly to then - but since I started on the big asteroid there is no forest asteroid implemented yet. I have that right?

2 minutes ago, bsambrone said:

Ah, so if I start on the small asteroid then there should be another small forest asteroid I can fly to then - but since I started on the big asteroid there is no forest asteroid implemented yet. I have that right?

Yeah. As far as I know, the large classic-style asteroid has no pips, and only a single arbor tree can be found sometimes on the Water Moonlet.

On 6/4/2021 at 8:35 PM, Sasza22 said:

I`m not sure if you can get them when starting on the big asteroid currently. The big start has 2 planetoids: the big terra and smal oily swamp. With other starts you get a third that`s a radioactive forest and has pips (except the forsest start which has pips right away, then the third is a swamp).

I don`t remember if the further palnetoids have pips. I`m pretty sure this will get adressed in the future though.

Why? Having maps which lack a resource or critter is totally fine. It gives the game replayabilty that not every map is the same.

1 hour ago, Lwt said:

Why? Having maps which lack a resource or critter is totally fine. It gives the game replayabilty that not every map is the same.

Other starts have all the critters just spread between asteroids. Just the big asteroid is an exception. That`s why i think the original intent was that everything is available one way or another. Maybe they`ll consider making the setting completely pip-less but likely they`ll put a few of those somewhere.

3 hours ago, Lwt said:

Further to @Sasza22's point, pretty sure there's an achievement that relies on pips being available to be tamed.   And even in the original game where you definitely had different maps with different materials available to your start, you typically could get everything that was missing from space.

I'm pretty sure big-terra is the only one with Shove Vols. I guess it's a trade off? Hopefully we can get missing critters from space POI's or something in the future.

5 hours ago, Lwt said:

Going 100's of cycles to find out there's no pips on your map isn't enjoyable, trust me. When I figured it out, I rerolled and will never go back to big tera unless this is changed. Not sure I'd consider that replayability, or variety. Mostly a frustrating dilemma on wether to enable sandbox or not. 

In general, I have a hard time seeing how taking away features could be a feature outside of a challenge mode, which these three "ideal" starts clearly aren't intended to be. As it is now, each start still feels very unique and that really has nothing to do with pips being on the map or not. Later on, with more difficult worldgens, maybe it would make sense, but I'd still prefer an option.

On 6/8/2021 at 9:09 PM, Rotintin said:

Going 100's of cycles to find out there's no pips on your map isn't enjoyable, trust me. When I figured it out, I rerolled and will never go back to big tera unless this is changed.

If your playstyle hinges on having pips, and your world has no pips, I'd take that as a challenge to adapt my playstyle around. It's hardly "game breaking," people were making sustainable bases LONG before pips were even a thing.

It's sort of like starting on Arboria and not having access to gold amalgam: it's not the end of the world. You can skip right over to steel for any hot machines you need, and the lack of thimble reeds just means you now have to ranch dreckos instead. Same if your world had "buried oil" trait: now you need water to get oil, so either find some water or change your strategy to no longer require oil.

A lack of an "easy" method shouldn't be taken as a "haha, suffer" stance from Klei, but as a "let's see how you change your strategy when you don't have access to this certain thing." I would call that fun and interesting, and also that's a big opportunity to brush up on your skills/knowledge that you haven't had to use in a while. That's like the definition of "replayability": that no two worlds are ever the same.

But, as always, you play a game to have fun. If you aren't having fun, then don't play with those settings. You're perfectly within your rights to not play Big Terra if it doesn't have pips, and Klei is within their rights not to add pips in just because you want them (although that does seem like an oversight, and they probably should add in a way to get them. Less options is always less fun than more options).

On 6/9/2021 at 3:09 AM, Rotintin said:

I'm pretty sure big-terra is the only one with Shove Vols. I guess it's a trade off? Hopefully we can get missing critters from space POI's or something in the future.

Going 100's of cycles to find out there's no pips on your map isn't enjoyable, trust me. When I figured it out, I rerolled and will never go back to big tera unless this is changed. Not sure I'd consider that replayability, or variety. Mostly a frustrating dilemma on wether to enable sandbox or not. 

In general, I have a hard time seeing how taking away features could be a feature outside of a challenge mode, which these three "ideal" starts clearly aren't intended to be. As it is now, each start still feels very unique and that really has nothing to do with pips being on the map or not. Later on, with more difficult worldgens, maybe it would make sense, but I'd still prefer an option.

Mys Opinion. Without Pips makes no sense to play fpr me at Big-Terra-DLC  :(

On 6/8/2021 at 9:09 PM, Rotintin said:

I concur.

Archived