Purging CO2 from rockets

Is there a sane way of removing CO2 from a rocket without any unnecessary rocket parts like gas cargo?

I tried rocket gas unloader+gas intake, but it didn't work.

I'm looking for something that will make the research rocket (CO2 engine+essentials) automatically clean itself up.

I have given up hope on automatic rocket reloading because there seems to be no way to sort food by freshness, limit toilets to crew, automatically change rocket to "crew only" when reloading is done, but removing CO2 sounds like it might be achievable without having to rebuild the rocket or use exploits like window rebuilding.

there are a number of ways. It all depends on the engine and consequently the number of modules you can fit.

A simple case of research rocket CO2 

it means that you do not automate it as you need to regularly change the research goals. It needs just to fly to an orbit and you can return it back to an asteroid at no time. You probably use a small habitat module also.

Using algae terrarium - it produces oxygen AND REMOVES CO2. Just automate it to stop at 2 atm

Use a (plastic) pump to intake at the bottom and pump into a long gas tube with a x-over at the end - so the gas can go into the pipe. A pilot with plumbing skill can empty the gas pipe and the gas bottles will fall out. You can have unlimited gas bottles with CO2 and O2 (of you do not filter it - not necessary) and you can empty O2 bottles at any time (it likes having an emergency gas reservoirs on board). CO2 bottles can be carried and used if you need to fill CO2 rocket tanks.

Instead of the X-over you can have the gas compactor. it will tightly fit if you move the pilot panel. Then you do not need plumbing skills for the pilot/researcher to make bottled CO2.

with the current gas storage rocket update it is even more hitech. Just have  a small gas storage and two solar panels on this small CO2 rocket. 

you can pump oxygen into the storage and have gas outlets to get oxygen flowing into the cabin and then have a pump at the bottom to pump everything (mainly CO2 and some O2 traces) back into the same gas storage. As filters are in the gas inflow, you can set oxygen. When you land you can load more oxygen and vent out CO2 to space.

22 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

rocket gas unloader+gas intake

you'd also need a gas tank on the rocket itself.

if you're just doing this for the sake of co2 removal itself, then i strongly recommend just putting a liquid tank on and having a carbon skimmer on board. its super simple that way, for me

I haven't seen oxylite mentioned. I've used that for most of my rockets since CO2 packets passing over the oxylite bin get deleted. You can also just have the dupe wear an atmo suit. I do this for the early research (like when you're using a solo nosecone since you can't even make a better spacefarer module) since you can just leave it vacuum. No air, no co2 to clean up. An atmo suit will last quite a long time then you can just land the rocket and swap to a fresh suit or let them gasp for air which doesn't seem to release co2 (if it does, the oxylite got it and I never noticed)

You mentioned toilets and food as well. Outhouses do let you assign them to a particular dupe so I think that would work for you. I always just disable the building when I land and re-enable before takeoff but assigning it might work as well. I don't know if this forces the dupe to always go all the way up there rather than use an in-base washroom, so you might lose a morale bonus.

As for food I stock all my rockets with berry sludge (sleet wheet grain + bristle berry + microbe musher) and let only my rocketry dupes eat that using the consumables menu. That never goes stale so you can just fill a fridge and be done. 

3 hours ago, Lbphero said:

if you're just doing this for the sake of co2 removal itself, then i strongly recommend just putting a liquid tank on and having a carbon skimmer on board. its super simple that way, for me

I'd have to upgrade the rocket. CO2 with proper spacefarer has only 2 height left, cargo is 3. Having to upgrade a rocket just to purge CO2 is a bit of an overkill.

44 minutes ago, Tiru said:

let them gasp for air which doesn't seem to release co2

I'll have to test this one, it might be very useful here.

5 hours ago, Lbphero said:

you'd also need a gas tank on the rocket itself.

it is not only to remove CO2; you can pump O2 into the tank at dock and then pump CO2 into the same tank and take O2 in flight. By doing it, you completely automate the air cycle. And yes, a small gas tank is needed.

CO2 engine + 2 solar panels + small gas tank + small habitat module = 10

if you use the large habitat module with CO2 engine that it is a very different story - then oxylite but manual load

Co2 engine+2 solar panels+large habitat+nosecone=10

CO2 can be pumped to the gas compactor and the bottles can be manually unloaded once in a while 25kg each (or you can destroy CO2 with oxylite rail if you like this path).

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.35a37091d2f71daf3f9325b431f7bde2.png

Archived