Is it worth buying the DLC?

Ok, to speak clearly:

Buying now means you're stepping into an "Early Access" game.

This means you're not buying the DLC as a final product, but as a sneak peek of what's to come.

What you get is most of the features as they're coming out of the oven. As such, sometimes hot cookies will burn your palate. But you get to be the person that tasted tested sooner than others and might come across a bug every once and then (it's not that terrible, really).

By this time you'd already be browsing the forum to find out if it's just your game or if it's happening to all.

And this is where bug reports come into your life as a final user.

But it is also an opportunity to make suggestions and if they're sound and something that catches Klei's eye then you might see it in the game - no strings attached, though. (That much should be assumed.)

Mod support is mostly stable, but expect things to break as not all mod developers have the time to update their own as soon as any update comes out.

If you're looking for a fully featured final version that's going to allow you a 10000 cycle base without breaking, then this might not be your cup of tea.

At this time it is really entertaining for many. In the end, your opinion will be what matters the most.

There you have it, my two cents.

DLC is very cool, it is definitely worth buying.

All the negative reviews I've seen either refer to very early builds, or from people who did not understand the essence of the changes (for example, they think the game has become easier, although it has become much more difficult)

The DLC changes the game quite a bit. But it`s not done yet. The things that are getting changes were disabled for a while so the game felt like downgraded for a while - that`s where a lot of negative reviews came from. It`s much more stabile now but still unfinished. You don`t get as many options as in the base game in terms of starts for example. And there are still some bugs to be fixed as well as some work in progress features so keep that in mind.

If you can deal with an occasional bug or crash and ready to restart every few weeks when a worldgen change comes in then go ahead an buy it. If not then wait until it`s finished and more stabile.

I bought it on day one with the hope it would get better on the long run. So far the trust was repaid. I believe the recent patches made the game much better. There is still a long way imo but you won't waste your money if you buy the dlc today.

Archived