Well... RoT is over

made ya look  

196 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate RoT gameplay-wise?

2. 2. How do you rate RoT story-wise?

3. 3. Do you think dst needs more content updates in the near future?

• Yes- RoT wasn't enough, there's still stuff that should be added
    • Yes- I want new content in general, it keeps the game fresh
    • No- RoT was enough for now
    • No- I don't think dst is lacking anything right now
    • No strong opinions

23 minutes ago, Truffle said:

I feel like the gameplay aspect would've been better if the foundation for boat controls were better and there was more rewarding loot to be offered. Boating can be slow and janky for the most part and there isn't that many useful items. I mean crab king doesn't drop anything useful, malbatross(which is a pain to find and farm) only drops stuff for your boat and the champions crown is cool but for all you have to do for it might not even be worth it. The best thing we go out of RoT imo was the farm rework

And yet again I will point out that the devs themselves have stated RWYS was not part of the Return of Them.

The updates that Were considered ROT had something to do with the ocean, created by the moon falling into the constant, and if you explore that ocean you find chunks of that moon, and then you uncover lunar island which was the start of awesome lunar island content but the horror mobs that show up at the end of the very first RoT trailer were badly received and so from that point Klei shifted focus away from what was clearly the update chains original intent..

With a discontinuation of lunar horrors and no further additional islands like Lunar Isle added, Klei had not much choice but to end the Return of Them story arc.

After all there’s only so many completely unrelated to the moon/Charlie/the Return of Them ocean content updates that Klei could release before people start saying wait a minute... none of this has anything to do with Return of Them!

So here we are now: RoT has Concluded, but JoeW states there will be more ocean content updates in the future.. while there’s nothing I can do but be sad that lunar horror got the axe swiftly... I am still hopeful for more ocean content.

Now let’s take a moment to truly grasp onto and understand what that means- Ocean Content does NOT = things we will be doing at Sea (Cough cough fighting crab king on a boat or collecting seaweed barnacle from seaweed) In fact ocean content could mean ANYTHING really..

If Klei wants to add a Forge themed Island full of lava and fire and glorious bouts of battle against forge inspired mobs, as long as it takes a boat to sail to and explore that island.. then it counts as ocean content. And any and all content Klei adds between getting to that forge island (cookie cutters, RockJaw shark etc..) counts as Ocean Content.

Basically the TL:DR- Klei could add Islands with the same size and content scope as Lunar but each island has its own theme, mobs, plant life, weather hazards etc and that would STILL count as new ocean content.

So from this point forward I would like to officially distinguish the two:

New Ocean content= anything on/in/ or pertaining to- taking a boat across Ocean.

Meanwhile more “On the Ocean” Content= more at sea boss fights like crab king or at sea resource gathering like Seaweed Barnacles.

I hope when JoeW says there will be more ocean content that he refers to the top example rather than the bottom one.

The BEST example I can give for this is using Batman Arkham Knight as my example: The developers of that game fell absolutely in love with their Batmobile they created so much so that they crammed it into areas of the game it had no business what-so-ever being involved in- such as detective puzzles and boss fights.

Without going into too long of a “Wtf is he rambling on about now?” post- They OVERUSED The Batmobile when ALL people wanted was to use it as a means of travel and maybe an epic car chase or two.

Boats in DST are starting to feel more like they’re trying to cram it into every situation rather than being a means of travel to new destinations.

I can only hope Klei proves me wrong on this...

But so far we have bosses that must be fought on the sea, resources that must be gathered on the sea... and overall it’s starting to become another Batmobile situation (Aka a good thing that was overused to the point people start disliking it)

Using Seaweeds as an example.. why couldn’t they have been placed in a lush but damp seaweedy land biome, covered in moss and deep puddles of water marshes where it rains frequently here, maybe they could’ve ported over those annoying hanging vines that attack you in hamlet and the walking piranha plants or some new mobs entirely or something...

Instead what we got was a boring trip across a vastly mostly empty ocean to gather some ingredients off of content that must be engaged with while still being on the boat.

now that’s not to say that ALL Boat content is bad- Salt formations and combating cookie cutters to get salt box is bloody freaking fun, same for using the pinching winch to do cool ocean stuff..

But some things such as Seaweeds- were just additional content requiring the boat when it could’ve been a whole new island full of content, mobs and things to do.

If you read this to the end of my little rant here: Have an animated emote, because you sir or madam are a true trooper against the random thoughts and opinions I have.

Thank You  :juggling:

11 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

This is such a weird leap in logic

What can I say... the way EotS turned out suggests that either Tencent is influencing game's development (in a negative way, obviously) or that Klei is making bad decisions. And we should want neither of those.

The fact that less than half of the votes label Gameplay or Lore as "Good" should speak volumes on it's own, especially coming from the game's own forums where positive feedback-loops would be at it's peak.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of having this crazy lore hype of "ooOOoOH the moon is coming! They are returning!!" being spoonfed to be by Klei combined with the blueball of having basically nothing of those terms happen atleast for two years.

I had a feeling item/player skins would cause a content draught and lo behold it happened exactly like how it happened with every other videogame out there.

I'm a sucker for combat items and the glasscutter was the only thing out of this arc that fits my needs.

6 hours ago, SuperMeatGoy said:

The fact that less than half of the votes label Gameplay or Lore as "Good" should speak volumes on it's own, especially coming from the game's own forums where positive feedback-loops would be at it's peak.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of having this crazy lore hype of "ooOOoOH the moon is coming! They are returning!!" being spoonfed to be by Klei combined with the blueball of having basically nothing of those terms happen atleast for two years.

Yeah, I'm not excited with that either. I'd like more "Forgotten Knowledge" style updates but things feel puttered out.

Archived