Rolling back after your last save.. nullifies your over-all progress?

So.. I was merrily playing on a friend's server, both preparing for CK fight. Well, I actually was preparing for CK fight veeery merrily, aka while being irl drunk; hence I was dragging on, with Spring almost finished (while I thought Spring just started-or-somethin'). An honest happening, mind you! So both me and not-so-merrily friend by now (since I was stumbling around, in circles, pretty hammered) decided best course of action would be to load earliest save. Which was... 5 in-game days ago (wasn't some KLei Update statement somewhere that we now have "unlimited saves"? Or one needs to mark something on newly-generated worlds, while old world still "benefit" from 5-save-slots system?!). Anyway, then the "big brain" moment hit: what if, bear with me here, WHAT IF.. on that "earliest listed save" we rollback further?! Once more: "unlimited saves" should apply to old server, right? RIGHT?! And then, well.. the pictures below are worth 1000 words (of swearing?):

problem_main.thumb.jpg.79b175e2aca9190307097e9cf4f0a677.jpg

Spoiler

problem_additional_1.thumb.jpg.be4899c68bba0efd989f07aefc949c04.jpg

problem_additional_2.thumb.jpg.64dc1f08e62a50527ca1db193d47f3ab.jpg

problem_additional_3.thumb.jpg.2c24f357aff4df66d3337c99dd48a825.jpg

problem_additional_4.thumb.jpg.ac42d5ad3e87672cdc92ea9657e2367d.jpg

When world loaded after that last-save-available rollback, we were at character-selection screen. When picked and popped in world, all our progress, personal items and whatnot we had on us were "magically erased". At least world and world builds seem intact, but all our personal character progress, researches, builds etc are gone.

The main question now: is there a way to somehow revert this? Frankly, I reckon not, since we haven't backed-up the world, but... hope dies last.

Lastly: is this a bug? Sure looks like one. Anyone encountered it?

PS: "unlimited saves" probably doesn't mean.. unlimited save-slots, does it?!

57 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

The main question now: is there a way to somehow revert this? Frankly, I reckon not, since we haven't backed-up the world, but... hope dies last.

Probably not. I'd say your best move is to just spawn in what you had before.

PS: "unlimited saves" probably doesn't mean.. unlimited save-slots, does it?!

It does. We have "unlimited saves" in that we can have as many save slots as we want, provided you have the space for them. However, save slots and previous world versions are two different things.

The default number of "previous world versions" the game saves hasn't changed. It's normally set to 5, unless you edit it in your world files.

Lastly: is this a bug? Sure looks like one. 

Looks like it, yeah. Unless your characters were like this at the save you rolled back to, this shouldn't have happened.

43 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

wasn't some KLei Update statement somewhere that we now have "unlimited saves"? Or one needs to mark something on newly-generated worlds, while old world still "benefit" from 5-save-slots system?!)

All worlds only have 5 rollback datas slots, regardless of when the world was made, pre or post that QoL change. What it was referring to, in the update, was the amount of worlds you could create and have stored to load up. The reason for this limit on rollback slots is so that the files don't get exorbitantly high as each one has to contain both the world and player data on that specified day, which would be fine starting out, but gets more costly as time wages on as you do more stuff,nand thus they put a limit on them for that reason. I will say that I might be wrong about the reason for the rollback cap but the point still stands that there is a reason why it's  capped at 5.

51 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

When world loaded after that last-save-available rollback, we were at character-selection screen. When picked and popped in world, all our progress, personal items and whatnot we had on us were "magically erased". At least world and world builds seem intact, but all our personal character progress, researches, builds etc are gone

My theory is that world rolled back past the point of no return, it had attempted to call the player data from the previous day, which didn't  exist. Because said data was now floating through the technological ether, it problem just defaulted to the base character data for every world, a fresh new start. I think the world might have been saved by its saved data not being connected to the rollback, or someother reason.

56 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Doesn't seem like it from the reasons you listed above.

58 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Lastly: is this a bug? Sure looks like one. Anyone encountered it?

Yes and no. See, this could considered a bug since there wasn't  anything put in place to either prevent it or patch out the damning results. On the other hand, you were essentially asking the game to use data that didn't exist and so it literally couldn't have known how to proceed without using nonexistant data besides using the default data.

45 minutes ago, thegreatJash said:

Who plays video games while they're drunk?

Fine gents much appreciative of the grape, malt, hops, and herbs.. "juices" euphoric properties.

Also, I see.. there's even now that cap on 5 Save slots; perhaps it should also be a cap on character stats retained by the last of those 5 slots, so any "force rollback" under the earliest 5th slot wouldn't yield back a reset of said stats (gear, researched recipes, map exploration, etc) - like what happened in our case from OP.

FWIW, this same problem happens on dedicated servers with the max save slot increased. I have 20 days saved, and accidentally tried rolling back one day too far (all I wanted was to roll back to start of day!)

Saved me a lot of moonstone \s

On 5/6/2021 at 9:10 PM, Frashaw27 said:

On the other hand, you were essentially asking the game to use data that didn't exist and so it literally couldn't have known how to proceed without using nonexistant data besides using the default data.

This really is no excuse for bad programming... (not criticizing you Frashaw27) But it definitely falls under "basic case that should be caught and handled properly".

What did you do to rollback the server?  The ingame utility in the menues shouldn't rewind beyond the last valid save.  It won't rollback to day 1 or character select if you've had 5 saves passed that.  Did you use some mod utility?

16 hours ago, Shosuko said:

What did you do to rollback the server?  The ingame utility in the menues shouldn't rewind beyond the last valid save.  It won't rollback to day 1 or character select if you've had 5 saves passed that.  Did you use some mod utility?

If I remember well (2 months passed, lots happened in the meanwhile) my friend loaded up the last available save and then quickly did another roll-back after said save loaded. Don't know if it managed to rb from 1st try, but 2nd surely did it - did-in our personal character progress that is, as stated in OP. And yes, feels like an oversight on KLei's part to cap just the world and not character progress as well from faulty roll-back via last existing save as per what Frashaw27 underlined:

My theory is that world rolled back past the point of no return, it had attempted to call the player data from the previous day, which didn't  exist. Because said data was now floating through the technological ether, it problem just defaulted to the base character data for every world, a fresh new start. I think the world might have been saved by its saved data not being connected to the rollback, or some other reason.

10 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

If I remember well (2 months passed, lots happened in the meanwhile) my friend loaded up the last available save and then quickly did another roll-back after said save loaded. Don't know if it managed to rb from 1st try, but 2nd surely did it - did-in our personal character progress that is, as stated in OP. And yes, feels like an oversight on KLei's part to cap just the world and not character progress as well from faulty roll-back via last existing save as per what Frashaw27 underlined:

I was able to recreate if you rollback multiple times while on your earliest save it can bring you back to character selection - the world isn't reset, but your character is.  Should probably be a bug report

(niffty tho - could be exploited on your own server to swap characters before you've upgraded portal, but with rollback exploit why not console command? idk, ask those Klaus farmers who rollback for Krampus Sack lol maybe helpful on console? anyway, good to know)

somehow this happen to me on my dedicated server after rollback too soon i guess (after rollback command more rollback ) ... seems the char data is corrupted .. i dunno why when i move the file from dedicated to hosted the file working fine .. so i just copy the file after i run in in hosted back to dedicated server XDD

Archived