[Mod Request] Lower Res for Potato PC

Hi there!

I was trying to change the resolution of some game files, but I cant figure it out.

I can edit all game image files to help with the mod creation.

I know that this game lags mostly because the physics and handling stuff, but some resolution lowering could provide better performance.

There is a low res mode already build in, did you try it? Its somewhere in the options. 

But you will not gain that much more performance from low res textures at all. The game is really heavy CPU related. Even a abacus should be able to handle the textures of this game. 

Okay, in your position i would strongly recommend to replace that old Pentium II for something more recent. Heck, even for 40-50 Bucks you can buy a uses computer that would run Oni better than the thing you are forcing to struggle with it right now i guess. May is ask what ancient tech you are running? Dont tell me it still has the port fo till it with fresh coal....

I fear you will not get much with lower resolution. Maybe something, but not much. Most of ONI computing comes from game logic, not rendering 2d sprites. Try reducing number of calculation your game needs to make, for example:

• Clean your map from derbits
  • Reduce number of critters (avoid ranching)
  • Build tiles instead of ladders for floor
  • Reduce number of duplicants

Those are first that come to my mind, try searching the net for more suggestions.

Smaller maps should also be a good idea, you will find mods for that faster than changing resolution I guess

I have tried smaller worlds, but didnt liked the maps.

I am running ONI on a PC with 8gb RAM, Core2Quad 8400, GTX 1050 TI.

When I focus the view on dark unknown map areas, my FPS go up to 25, otherwise It stays between 13 and 16 FPS.

Running mid game now, with 4 ranches, 3 spoms, 2 aquaturners cooling oxygen and metal refinery.

I can tell you for sure, your 1050TI is NOT the problem here. Scaling down textures will get you near to nothing in performance. Sorry to say, but your CPU ist >10 years old (introduced 2009). While its still just fine to do some office work, it lacks many command sets introduced since then. You´ll never get a real decent performance out of this rig, now matter the optimization you invest. In a matter of speaking, you cant get a turtle to fly. It will do fine, what a turtle needs to do, but it will never fly. And when it comes to ONI, you wont only need it to fly, you need a spaceship. 

The next issue you will run into inevitably is your RAM. You are mid game now, and i promise you, a few hours later (if you make it there) you WILL run into RAM-issues. ONI will consume 11-12 gigabytes at later games. Thats when 16GB of RAM in the system is barely enough. 

Okay... so for a suggestion: Dont waste your time, trying to optimize things, that will gain you nothing at all. Invest the time into making some bucks and get a more modern computer for yourself, if you really want to play this game and have at least a bit fun with it. Something from 2-3 years ago will run good enough, and wont cost a fortune. But keep in mind, due to the worldwide chip shortage even used components are now much more expensive. Nope, there is no good news here. I´m sorry.

It is unfortunate, but it is indeed the correct choice to go ahead and look for a newer computer that performs well to run ONI.

There are a lot of tile operations and operations in general in ONI, and it is unfortunate that even a performant computer inevitably suffers from slowness and FPS drops as you expand your base further and further out into the asteroid. There's not really a way to get around it, unless somehow in the future there's a new mode that allows ONI to run with incredibly less operations per second.

On 5/6/2021 at 4:37 PM, Dharrison said:

When I focus the view on dark unknown map areas, my FPS go up to 25, otherwise It stays between 13 and 16 FPS.

Running mid game now, with 4 ranches, 3 spoms, 2 aquaturners cooling oxygen and metal refinery.

your issue can be at memory, 8gb is like minimum. GTX 1050 TI. should run self kind off ok

2 minutes ago, gabberworld said:

your issue can be at memory, 8gb is like minimum. GTX 1050 TI. should run self kind off ok

The 8 GB should be fine until late game.  Sure, depends on what is running in the background. If there is crhome with 500 tabs open, you already srewed yourself.

31 minutes ago, SharraShimada said:

The 8 GB should be fine until late game.  Sure, depends on what is running in the background. If there is crhome with 500 tabs open, you already srewed yourself.

well, that what he talks about, the late game, noone should be fps problem at beginning.

basically if he windows self eats 4gib memory then he already screwed

but it can be also other factors like CPU , not using ssd and soo on

On 5/6/2021 at 3:37 PM, Dharrison said:

The thing is that oni is one of most single core cpu hungry games i know, and it gets very bad lategame.

On my laptop at some times i had around 10 fps.

However a mod might help if it would be able to introduce multicore support.

Dont hope for it however there is a reason oni has only limited multicore support, Unity3D itsself makes the support hard and i think its almost impossible to mod in.

I think baba mentioned that he hopes that the amd ryzen 9 5950 x would get 60fps lategame and that one is like 4 times as quick singlecore as the core2 8400 - to give the perspective.

issue can be also that they add all objects to the list what is not needed draw at all, example like this

drawissues.thumb.png.fc4b27e357fe935227079c45424ade6d.png

that is little bit bad coding really as this may result performance issues in game.

basically what happens at there is, animation runs even when user should not see that at all, that includes screen scrolling to other locations

Archived