Mushrooms shouldn't rot in mushroom planters come winter

TL;DR at the end

Before RWYS, this made sense balance wise, since every other crop didn't grow in Winter. This is despite the fact that mushrooms don't rot in the world naturally in winter nor do they refuse to pop up in their respective time frames.

Since RWYS was released every veggie has been allowed to grow throughout every season in the game. They are far superior in every sense of the word and have far surpassed the more advanced (requires alchemy engine) and more expensive (even Wormwood has to pay hp for them) mushroom farms. 

The meat of my argument

Mushroom farms have fallen behind in a few ways:

Only Wormwood can fully benefit from every single red mushroom for a total of 75 hunger. However Wormwood and every other character can grow pumpkins throughout winter for a far greater 37 hunger per pumpkin. So even Wormwood can grow pumpkins while his mushrooms are sad and rotten. Outside of Winter equally strong veggies exist such as dragonfruit.

For Wormwood it is far easier to plant carrots straight into the ground for the same 12.5 hunger per mushroom 3/4 of the year minus the upkeep, health penalty, spore requirement for highest yield, and winter rot. 

Potatoes replace the 20 hp health that blue mushroom brought to the table.

Sanity is a bit harder to replace but you still have melon popsicles and pumpkin cookies (off the top of my head)

TL;DR: There are cheeper and better alternatives (RWYS) for what mushroom planters once offered, this includes even for Wormwood.

Allow them to function even in winter. This can already be done by placing them below ground so all it would do is remove the loading screen.

Final thoughts:

I would be very pleasantly surprised if they could be buffed in other forms too. Such as increasing the number of possible harvest before needing a living log. I will leave that up to the devs.

They function in the caves during winter, and they don't require sunlight unlike farm plots, so they are good in those two small regards inside caves. But I see what you're saying and I do think mushroom planters could use some sort of buffing on the overworld, making them growable year-round would be a nice change.

Mushroom planters are the new improved farms. Expensive but doesnt take any time to make another round of food so is very balanced imo

Edit: with the addition of mushgnomes they are way easy to make even in early game

Having that fast to replant (just click on the mushplanter) way of getting sanity and health is pretty strong

Idk why you use them as wormwood outside of free living logs to keep them, not a personal atack, just curious when worm has the best food perk

3 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Mushroom planters are the new improved farms. Expensive but doesnt take any time to make another round of food so is very balanced imo

Letting them grow in Winter above ground wouldn't make them unbalanced. They already grow in winter in the caves. Just need to go through a loading screen. 

Edit: with the addition of mushgnomes they are way easy to make even in early game

When we were talking about totally normal tree farms I though you said they took a while to respawn :wilson_sneaky:

Yes, even for other characters they become more easily available over time. One disadvantage planters have is that they can't make complex dishes. In which case they lose out even if you factor in farms needing some maintenance (maintenance is basically just watering the once to get back a seed). 

Having that fast to replant (just click on the mushplanter) way of getting sanity and health is pretty strong

Lets take spicy vegetable stinger as an example for a tomato and 1.5 veggies (plus ice) you get 33 sanity and 25 hunger. If you made those veggies giant you may get enough for three stingers or 99 sanity for only 3 farm slots on your plot. In one mushroom planter you can only have 6 green caps for a total of 90 sanity and -6 health. Now, if you decided to do a whole farm plot of veggies for stingers that would be 297 possible sanity if they are giant and 99 sanity if you just want a seed back. 

Here is another disadvantage, veggies give you back the seed, but mushroom planters don't guarantee the spore (plus its spoils). Meaning you will now need to be happy with 4 green mushrooms, wait until spring, hope you get a spore back and you are there to collect it, or get a green mush hat from the toad or klaus.

Idk why you use them as wormwood outside of free living logs to keep them, not a personal atack, just curious when worm has the best food perk

Why do I use mushroom planters? I don't, not anymore. I use honey to feed myself. I used to use planters often, but the constant need for spores and having it spoil in winter made me not one to use them anymore. Here I am hoping for a small qol update.

3 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

When we were talking about totally normal tree farms I though you said they took a while to respawn :wilson_sneaky:

who mentioned them? i only said that now there is a non rng source of living logs which was one limite factor for doing the mushplanters in early days

4 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

i mean, doesnt sound totally imba, maybe i just dont like changes

5 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Why do I use mushroom planters? I don't, not anymore. I use honey to feed myself. I used to use planters often, but the constant need for spores and having it spoil in winter made me not one to use them anymore. Here I am hoping for a small qol update.

i was curious about you strat since i though you use them as wormwood

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

who mentioned them? i only said that now there is a non rng source of living logs which was one limite factor for doing the mushplanters in early days

Remember waaaaay back when I said that living logs where easy for everyone to obtain with the mad lab? When I was saying this perk from Wormwood wasn't very special anymore. Sorry didn't mean to sound petty, I thought mushgnomes didn't spawn often based on what you said that day. I have never used them (mushgnomes).

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

i mean, doesnt sound totally imba, maybe i just dont like changes

i was curious about you strat since i though you use them as wormwood

Well there is a strat but you have to place them underground. I'm on the original ps4 (Cant find a ps5 yet...) and loading times are 2-3 minutes when you go in and when you come out, so I don't bother.

1 planter with a red spore feeds Wormwood for a day. So you'd need 20 to get through a season and a red mush hat will provide over 20 spores in its life time. Every time you plant a spore you get sanity back and you can place them in a compost bin if you need some quick hp. 

If they grew in winter I would not use honey anymore. Maybe for emergency food.

2 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Remember waaaaay back when I said that living logs where easy for everyone to obtain with the mad lab? When I was saying this perk from Wormwood wasn't very special anymore. Sorry didn't mean to sound petty, I thought mushgnomes didn't spawn often based on what you said that day. I have never used them (mushgnomes).

yes but my point was that wormwood perk is better because in early, unless you are lucky or you expend time in the grotto instead of doing other things, provides many living logs meanwhile the ability to plant totally normal trees takes living logs, is atached to an event (dep pubs) and takes time to grow. Mushgnomes arent a miracle but for getting extra living logs are great since you get arround 3 or 4 spawners that, if im not wrong, respawn every day so every 8 minutes you can get between 3 and 6 living logs. Not a great thing as i said but helps for the initial preparation if you really wish planters

6 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Well there is a strat but you have to place them underground. I'm on the original ps4 (Cant find a ps5 yet...) and loading times are 2-3 minutes when you go in and when you come out, so I don't bother.

1 planter with a red spore feeds Wormwood for a day. So you'd need 20 to get through a season and a red mush hat will provide over 20 spores in its life time. Every time you plant a spore you get sanity back and you can place them in a compost bin if you need some quick hp. 

If they grew in winter I would not use honey anymore. Maybe for emergency food.

yes but i still finding simplier just planting seeds. I didnt use mush planter outside of getting some blue or green mush for fights

2 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

yes but my point was that wormwood perk is better because in early, unless you are lucky or you expend time in the grotto instead of doing other things, provides many living logs meanwhile the ability to plant totally normal trees takes living logs, is atached to an event (dep pubs) and takes time to grow. Mushgnomes arent a miracle but for getting extra living logs are great since you get arround 3 or 4 spawners that, if im not wrong, respawn every day so every 8 minutes you can get between 3 and 6 living logs. Not a great thing as i said but helps for the initial preparation if you really wish planters

6 living logs a day... Wow! That's really good... Pubs are at a disadvantage but I only play private so the mad lab is available 24/7 to me.  

If you do have the mad lab those few initial living logs are great to get a farm started. 6 turns to 12, 12 to 24. Instead of killing gnomes you transition to kill bats. 

2 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

yes but i still finding simplier just planting seeds. I didnt use mush planter outside of getting some blue or green mush for fights

That's fair. 

Archived