New player, couple questions

1.  How do I play the last Smith day?  I'm on the experimental build, but it closed me out anyway.  Is there a setting I have to enable or something?  Or is it not available anymore?

2.  Is there a master list of events and what the options do?

3.  Is there a reference for who'll hate you if you kill someone?

(Sorry, I can't find the edit button.)

What the heck is the point of Rook's Battle flourishes?  I get the 20 defense 10 concentration one, but his other ones...empty and fill the charge meter?  That seems 99% useless.

12 hours ago, junemofu said:

What the heck is the point of Rook's Battle flourishes?  I get the 20 defense 10 concentration one, but his other ones...empty and fill the charge meter?  That seems 99% useless.

Burn is self-explanatory; pump n dump allows you to play Empty cards and get free Defense; dump n pump allows you to play Fully Charged and Overcharge cards.

32 minutes ago, ZeppMan217 said:

Burn is self-explanatory; pump n dump allows you to play Empty cards and get free Defense; dump n pump allows you to play Fully Charged and Overcharge cards.

Pump n dump also gives a quite hefty counter attack. Let Flekfis run into that, and he will knock himself out almost immediately.

I find Rook's negotiation flourishes a lot harder to utilize, as each of them benefits only from a very specific negotiation deck, which isn't really otherwise supported that much from the composition of his card choices.

Both Trickster and Coin Juggler need a deck that heavily relies on coin effects and the very few existing cards which actually provide a pay-off for heavy uncontrolled gambling, as there is no way to rig that many gambles. 

Equally Always Prepared needs a critical mass of pay-off cards for preparation effects to be of much use, and replacing your hand once with Expert Tacticians is fairly underwhelming unless that hand contains some kind of discard pay-off, of which fairly few exist.

Replacing your coin with Backup Collection is the weirdest flourish of them all. It basically only serves as a maybe-once-a-run correction for a planning mistake. It's unupgraded form, when the change isn't permanent, could even maybe allow for an interesting overall strategy that regularly changes pace mid-negotiation, but once the flourish is upgraded there is no going back.

The good news is, you don't have to choose one flourish and stick to it but have access to all of them (you may already know this, however).

Rook's "Cycle" flourishes are really useful for Rook's abilities/grafts that say "X happens when you gain/spend a charge", especially when tagged with the increased charge slots from the gunsmith. For example, the "Gain 2 defense when you gain a charge" ability? That's 12 defense if you have all six charge cells- and that's not the only ability like it. Additionally, burning all your charges will give you a little extra defense- not the main draw, but it's there.

Archived