Is Klei interested in restricting game-breaking exploits available client-side?

Client-side mods are generally very limited in capability. They can't modify the game files. They only provide information available to the player. The thing is that quite a bit is available to the player. There are client mods that can provide darkvision, map reveal, unlimited zooming out, etc. Is Klei responsible for restricting this? These exploits are inaccessible in the base vanilla game so are they exploits?

I would argue that this deserves to be addressed. A player using these kinds of mods can not only ruin their own experience, but others' experiences. When you join a server you are aware of the server mods that are on the server, but not client mods.

Before everyone gets angry because you like to use observer camera to take screenshots of your base or whatever, I'd like to clarify that I'm asking to restrict accessibility client-side. Darkvision, map reveal, and unlimited zoom out will always be an option as server mods, and there's nobody stopping you from using them. If you're stuck in some flawed mindset that client mods don't count as mods but server mods are the source of all evil, too bad for you.

The exploit with map reveal was fixed.

As for night vision and camera zooming, I'm afraid that's not easily fixable without restricting the open sandbox nature of the games source code, But I'm not too sure on that if I'm being honest.

6 hours ago, Hornete said:

The exploit with map reveal was fixed.

As for night vision and camera zooming, I'm afraid that's not easily fixable without restricting the open sandbox nature of the games source code, But I'm not too sure on that if I'm being honest.

There's some Chinese made mod that lets you reveal the map and they still work. They don't reveal entities but anywhere on any server they'd show all land on the map like this.image.thumb.png.202bfb11bc726bf97b961d66dc93ccd0.png 

Not gonna lie, I feel like this is pretty ******** that people can just do that on not their own worlds lol.

dst is not even a competitive game, its a game to just play casually and have fun i dont see any problem with if someone wants to ruin their own experience and use such mods then let them. if you dont want to play with that people kick them or make your world friends only.

4 hours ago, Mantas said:

There's some Chinese made mod that lets you reveal the map and they still work. They don't reveal entities but anywhere on any server they'd show all land on the map like this.

This doesn't actually "reveal" the map on your map screen though it's just really zoomed out. The exploit to actually reveal your map has been fixed.
Of course this is essentially the same thing, but I think it's important to make the distinction between the two y'know?

Don't think that would be possible, the playable area is from what i can tell downloaded onto the clients machine, so the client would run a duplicate version of the world with changes being pushed by the server.

Stuff like lights has to be updated as fast as possible on the client-side to avoid any perceived lag, like equipping/unequipping a torch, those things would first be done by the client and then sent to the server to tell the server that you equipped a torch.

This is all speculation ofcourse.

Zooming out on the other hand would only give you the terrain as stuff isn't being loaded in very far from the player.

Think any attempts to limit these mods would just limit modding as a whole as there would need to be code in place to prevent those changes.
Tho if you really want to prevent people from using certain mods on your server you could just make a mod that kicks anybody that has a specific mod enabled, or has disabled the dark.

Since the game is only meant to be played with like 5 other players, i don't see the incentive to limit these mods.

22 hours ago, Friendly Grass said:

unlimited zooming out

I do not think that this could be an issue as there is a client mod called Zoom + That lets you zoom out father but still restricts you from just scrolling endlessly, I don't know anyone who would have the patience to slowly scroll out all that way for nothing.

Archived