luigis mansion 4: luigi loses it  

171 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you sail in DST?

• Basically Never
    • Once or twice to get salt/explore lunar island and thats it
    • Every now and then for various purposes
    • Pretty often ..
    • A LOT

not so much but i use a lot glass cutters and moon glass axes so i expend many days in lunar island mining and preparing the hot springs. Sometimes i also go to craft moon and grotto turfs

in winter and summer i might sail to break the routine fishing seasonal fishes and, by the way, get some treasures or Pearl bundles for shells or broken shells (i love potted ferns). I have a bundle with cacti flowers and a crockpot to prepare flower salad. Also i might stop in her island to recover sanity with some kelps planted there plus a couple of candies made with the honey from her bee hive

I can't remember the last time I based on land. As soon as I start a world, I make a boat and base on it and sail around the world.

And once I get a good enough boat with everything I need, I spend all my time gathering salt and treasure hunting for sunken chests for all those "land lubbers" who couldn't be bothered to do it themselves, for something in return of course, I don't do it for free.

And by year 2, I usually have enough stuff to head to the ruins and craft all the gear I want. If I'm lucky of course.

And here I am the old curmudgeon opposite of @DarkPulse91. I cheese it and use Weregoose on Woodie to scout my Lunar Island/Granny's Island and Crab King, then build boat bridges to each of them. I'll sail just enough to get some salt to build salt boxes (extra points if the world has salt close to main land).

I 100% admit, I was spoiled to much by the possibilities in DS: Shipwrecked for sailing, anything less than that seems clunky and time consuming to me. I also admit there are limitations in DST that there weren't in SW and do my best to reiterate when I'm talking about sailing in DST that I personally am not a fan, but I know many who it opened up a whole new side of the game that wasn't there before. So each person should try it and make their own decision.

When my friend and I played the tropical experience mod (which adds basically add shipwrecked + hamlet content with pig towns etc on different continents) it was a ton of fun using dst boats to sail the ocean to reach the different islands. You might find the pugalisk island, or a shipwrecked island, or swinesbury, etc, and the ocean was full of things like jellyfish, ballphins, floating suitcases with treasure, shipwrecked treasure maps, waves that make rocks a more legitimate threat. It made sailing super dangerous, but also super rewarding and fun thanks to the things you could discover.

IMO the easiest way to make sailing more fun would be to just do something like this. Maybe make it contain gorge content or something, or add an island that lets you get forge equipment? Lunar island is cool and all, but it's literally the only landmass out there other than pear's island. Even just islands with grass or berry bushes or something would make sailing a lot more interesting.

13 minutes ago, Masked Koopa said:

When my friend and I played the tropical experience mod (which adds basically add shipwrecked + hamlet content with pig towns etc on different continents) it was a ton of fun using dst boats to sail the ocean to reach the different islands. You might find the pugalisk island, or a shipwrecked island, or swinesbury, etc, and the ocean was full of things like jellyfish, ballphins, floating suitcases with treasure, shipwrecked treasure maps, waves that make rocks a more legitimate threat. It made sailing super dangerous, but also super rewarding and fun thanks to the things you could discover.

IMO the easiest way to make sailing more fun would be to just do something like this. Maybe make it contain gorge content or something, or add an island that lets you get forge equipment? Lunar island is cool and all, but it's literally the only landmass out there other than pear's island. Even just islands with grass or berry bushes or something would make sailing a lot more interesting.

I have the opinion that sailing should be a way to reach other biomes instead of adding too much stuff to deal on a boat. Is good to have things like salt, sharks, etc but the big focus should be destinations

Sailing is so fun but the things that you can add to the sea to be fun on a boat are limited and more complicated than adding islands with other mechanics and climates

Archived