niobium volcano nerf

so niobium volcnoes got a nerf, not sure when it happened but new worlds now get a much weaker volcano.  it now puts out about the same as a regular metal volcano and at a much lower 2726.9c temperature.  it can be capped like any other metal volcano now with no need for a large structure, just slap on a steam turbine and you're done.  no risk of melting stuff, no need to worry, just build and forget now.  the one i ran the calculator on got 356 g/s which the old ones got much higher.  tungsten is 3727c or so still.  the magma planet is now half it's size and the volcano is in the crust like a few other posts have reported.  the magma planet is now much easier to tame

tldr: niobium volcanoes only need 1 steam turbine now like a regular metal volcano and will not naturally encase itself like before

image.png.af03b7524afd20cfc2a050e196690b80.png

52 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

So what? Balancing in progress. Expecting _anything_ in the DLC to stay unchanged at this time is just naive.

while i'm whining about how the volcano got weaker, i wanted to see what others said about it.  tbh the old niobium volcano put out way more niobium than one could use and posed more of a challenge to conquer/tame it.  it was fun trying to figure it out or reading how others did

but by all means, be snarky about players talking about changes that weren't in the patch notes

57 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

So what? Balancing in progress. Expecting _anything_ in the DLC to stay unchanged at this time is just naive.

But there's a difference between expecting and desiring. As I understand it, a major reason that these forums exist is to let the developers get player feedback.

@zach123b is both providing that feedback, as well as bringing attention to a change that many players were unlikely to have noticed yet. Both, seem like perfectly reasonable things to do here.

Lower temperature output for Niobium Volcano? Good! Worst case scenario, you will be able to send Wolframite rovers to contain rock gas that might leak forever due to dumb mistakes. Tungsten volcano could go down a couple hundred deg since tungsten's melting point is 3421.25C, just so it could never melt anything insulation ever.

On 4/21/2021 at 12:43 AM, zach123b said:

they brought it back up some this last patch.  mine is getting 947g/s niobium average.  it again needs a mid to large setup to harvest 100% of the material

image.png.3d1ecebcae5c251198bea2067adb2ac8.png

Quarter of a ton output per SECOND seems way too high to be reasonable, might be a glitch? Or some peculiar challenge in working? Resin tree update last I saw gave drops of resin for all the food you needed to give it, so this seems a bit backwards.

14 hours ago, ZombieDupe said:

Lower temperature output for Niobium Volcano? Good! Worst case scenario, you will be able to send Wolframite rovers to contain rock gas that might leak forever due to dumb mistakes. Tungsten volcano could go down a couple hundred deg since tungsten's melting point is 3421.25C, just so it could never melt anything insulation ever.

Quarter of a ton output per SECOND seems way too high to be reasonable, might be a glitch? Or some peculiar challenge in working? Resin tree update last I saw gave drops of resin for all the food you needed to give it, so this seems a bit backwards.

It seems to be meant as a kind of challenge I think. Check how the cycle time is set - 73s of work out of 10316s. So overall it's much less you just get it as big lump in short time.
(my math seems to show about 1.8Kg/s overall but I'm ONI beginner :D )

it's 1.8kg/s during active cycle, 947g/s overall though.  it's about par for a large magma/igneous volcano which we don't get any in the dlc as of yet

and yeah, we still get the option to not use the niobium volcano and simply convert what tungsten into niobium through the molecular forge/rock crusher.  so it's a challenge, at least imo it is

Had forgotten about the fact that the wolframite, as in the ore itself has a lower melting point than the refined tungsten, just a few degrees above 2900C meaning wolframite rovers could still be melted (into solid tungsten) by the second-time adjusted temperature of the niobium volcano, they should have really left it at 2726.9C output temperature or so, as you can't make them out of tungsten due to the fact that anything that is originally made out of ore can't be made of refined material besides manufactured ones like steel or thermium, neither of which could withstand the temperature unless you cool things down very fast. But just being able to use refined materials for such buildings would be welcome however.

Archived