Missing usual Fiber Reed sources

Let me start with "be gentle friends", I could be an idiot.  I'm on the test environment, started a new game about a week ago, selected ooze world as primary point, I'm about 140 turns into it, and gotten to my second world via transporter.  So now I've started to look towards the stars and trying some of the new rocket systems, etc.  However, I just made my first suit check point, and realized...I don't have any fiber.  Minor issue right?  But then I start looking...I don't have a single reed fiber (thimble) seed, or see a thimble plant next to the usual geyser, no do I have any dreckos, in either world.  I've looked across what I can see of both places, can't find it "naturally" (existing in the world supplied).  Now I might have missed an opportunity to get one of those via the printer pod, I admit.  But is it possible that I've missed a new game mechanic that allows me to get a reed fiber a different and new way?  Or do I have a glitch to report, cause its going to be hard to get into space without suits or sitting around for a random chance of it through the printer pod.

You have to get to the third planet via rocket to  get reed fiber on the mud starting planet. It's one of the major challenges of that world type.

That being said, doing rockets without atmo suits isnt as hard as you would think. There's plenty of oxygen just below the surface on the third planet, so it's easy enough to quickly dig down while holding your breathe there once you first go.

If "ooze" means swamp, then fiber reed is in the closest planet (not the teleporter one). Yes, maybe it will be a bit difficult without atmo sutis (the first time at least) and you will need to build inside the rocket a little. 

Terra start would be a bit easier if you are just getting familiar with the dlc. Although.. terra has only cool steam vents for water source so.. you choose.

1 hour ago, Red Oolong said:

so it's easy enough to quickly dig down while holding your breathe there once you first go.

There is easier way, rover can build waterlock, and even some rooms, beds, outhouse, etc.

The Swamp map is nice and cold ( Terra has 2x hot sources, Swamp has 2x cold ones ), in the 2nd teleporter colony you can fetch lead to make radiation suits and also start oil production with the 2nd tele. IMHO if you want to have a hard(er) temperature life challenge take Terra, the more simple life choice...temperature wise... is Swamp in my opinion.

If Terra would have 2 cold geysers, instead of its 2 hot ones, then I maybe would prefer Terra. Both maps have its fans in its current dlc condition. I find both maps rather boring compared to the base game, as the renewable resource spawns are currently very limited and few in the dlc.

If you seal hot sources off and kind of know what you are doing in the game, then you can play without suits.

@Bohrhandler Borehole :biggrin-new:

2 hours ago, TeDeum said:

There is easier way, rover can build waterlock, and even some rooms, beds, outhouse, etc.

I usually just put in a wall. Arrived Dupe deconstructs, goes through, reconstructs. After that, I put in doors. That causes some waste, but it never has been an issue for me so far.

As a follow-up question since I've just been through the scenario in the opening post. Once you're on the third planet, what's the best way to get the reed fiber back to the other planets? I'm only aware of two options, rocket or the new interplanetary launcher. (Technically there's a third option, which is what I used, and that is to get something via the printing pod. It solved my problem which is what I wanted but I didn't learn anything for the next step).

I haven't played with the interplanetary launcher yet, I'm battling with the interstellar research and gas rocket ports. Is this something that should be quick to set up if you have it researched?

4 minutes ago, CheeseGromit said:

As a follow-up question since I've just been through the scenario in the opening post. Once you're on the third planet, what's the best way to get the reed fiber back to the other planets? I'm only aware of two options, rocket or the new interplanetary launcher. (Technically there's a third option, which is what I used, and that is to get something via the printing pod. It solved my problem which is what I wanted but I didn't learn anything for the next step).

I haven't played with the interplanetary launcher yet, I'm battling with the interstellar research and gas rocket ports. Is this something that should be quick to set up if you have it researched?

With the new interplanetary launcher, I'd use that.  But otherwise build a storage unit in your rocket's command capsule.  There's not much to it.

When the planets were closer together and these other systems didn't exist, I actually used the cargo bays and had my dupes flying daily missions to the various asteroids to deliver supplies and bring resources back to the home asteroid.  That was actually fairly satisfying to set up.  In some ways, the DLC at that point was more satisfying in a "less is more" kind of way.

Archived