Radbolt Redirectors have logic input and when they receive red signal, they do not work. This is a really cool feature because it allows us to automate radbolt path and redirect them wherever they are needed.

but...

none of existing buildings that accept radbolts have logic outputs to inform redirectors if the radbolts are required. Currently cool feature has no application (except maybe with some duplicant motion sensor not to kill researcher working on radbolt machine). On top of that, new buildings can be really dangerous when they are full as incomming radbolts are not accepted in and they travel further, potentially hitting something or somebody...

I suggest that all radbolt-accepting buildings had logic output port. They should send green signal when they can accept more radbolts and red one when they are full. This could be connected to redirectors to easily supply them with radbolts without generating excess.

Another cool building would be radbolt sensor, 1x1 building that sends a green signal when it detects radbolt on its tile. This could be used to disable duplicant checkpoints as the area is dangerous or it could be used with memory gates to distribute radbolts evenly to different areas.

Btw - I'd love to see radbolt accelerator, building that increases radbolt strenght with some power consumption. Currently radbolts lose 1 strenght with every tile they travel and as a result they cannot be provided to buildings that are more than 50 tiles away...

I think we could use some sort of radbolt storage, like buffer station with automation similar to liquid and gas reservoirs. I find it weird that the radbolt generator can hold infinite radbolts but things that accept them only a limited amount. I`d rather have it limited but with a storage building.

An accelerator would be cool as well or maybe a conduit pipe/backwall using power that makes it not lose charge while traelling along it.

Tbh I like how radbolts are different and cannot stay in one place, must fly around the base or die. I'm not sure if radbolt storage would fit this concept.

But if we had radbolt accelerator, we could make radbolt loops that "store" radbolts flying in the cicrcle and that would go really well with current design :)

Edit: To avoid scenarios where radbolt loop runs out of control with the accelerator, we could make a rule that radbolts having more than 100 strenght explode, emmiting radiation

1 hour ago, pether said:

But if we had radbolt accelerator, we could make radbolt loops that "store" radbolts flying in the cicrcle and that would go really well with current design

Wouldn't that also accelerate/accumulate radioactive contaminant germs.. easier? I wouldn't mind revisiting old builds though... :-D

3 hours ago, pether said:

Tbh I like how radbolts are different and cannot stay in one place, must fly around the base or die. I'm not sure if radbolt storage would fit this concept.

That`s only true if they disable storing radbolts in the radbolt generator. Currently when disabled by automation it still collects radbolts and stores an infinite amount of them.

3 hours ago, n_t_p said:

Use a radiation sensor and count how many radbolts pass by.

And how exactly would you do that..? Radbolts carry 500 radioactive contaminants germs (499 to be exact). That is 0.5 rads. Anything else could trigger the radiation sensor before a radbolt pass by. Unless I'm missing something, there is no way so far to detect a radbolt.

7 hours ago, sakura_sk said:

And how exactly would you do that..? Radbolts carry 500 radioactive contaminants germs (499 to be exact). That is 0.5 rads. Anything else could trigger the radiation sensor before a radbolt pass by. Unless I'm missing something, there is no way so far to detect a radbolt.

Aren`t other radiation sources pretty static? A passing radbolt should act as a peak in radiation. Just setting the sensor above the background should work as long as dupes aren`t carrying radioactive stuff nearby.

7 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Aren`t other radiation sources pretty static? A passing radbolt should act as a peak in radiation.

I think a peak of 0.5 is too little and would probably be detectable only in vacuum. If germs start floating around, every tile has different value.

Archived