Possible to collect 40 tons of water or ice via rocket ?

How to rocket 20-40 tons of water or ice via rocket ?

Does anybody know if it possible to collect 20-40 tons of water or ice from another asteroid via rocket ? Also, how do you automate the rocket cargo transports ?

If yes, any feedback and screenshots on it would be welcome :p What is the best way to collect tons of fluids from a planet and how do you take it in to your rocket and how do you unload it ?

I have got an dlc Terra save with dozens of dupes where the Teleporter is limiting the amount of oil I can pump through the Teleporter. I wish I could destroy the Teleporter and lay direct pipe connections from TeleColony2 to TeleColony1 or if I could send cargo rockets with hundreds of oil tons flying from TeleColony2 to TeleColony1. I also have tons of plastic available in that dlc save, to use for advanced research.

I have recently learned how to build a simple rocket in theory ( I havent yet started one ), so maybe I will start this old save, execute most dupes to reduce the dlc dupe resource consumption ( due to only 2 water geysers in the dlc game ) and may attempt to launch my first rocket. In an ideal scenario it would be loading a rocket to the brim, 100-200 tons of water in a rocket would be perfect, the more the better. My minimum cargo expectation would be 20 tons of water.

This is no ChuckNorris competition, anybody can post their failed cargo attempts, tries and (funny) fails or have a KleiRant ( "KR" ).

Any help and lots of screenshots on how to mass transport fluids ( or solids,gasses ) via rockets is welcome :encouragement: Many thanks.

Assuming you're traveling directly from your home planet to the water planet, you would be using either a Petroleum or Hydrogen engine with 2 fuel tanks, so that means that if you use engine + tank + tank + oxidizer + control module, you'll have 2 free module slots. The Radbolt engine will also give you 2 free module slots.

The best liquid container you can put on a boat is the large cargo tank, which holds 2.7t of liquid. So if you dedicate all your free module slots to transporting water, you'll be able to transport about 5.4 tonnes of water per trip. Maybe 8.1 tonnes if there's a planet between your home and water planets that would let you save on fuel (though this won't work for the Radbolt Rocket).

I would think the fastest way to load up the rocket is to get multiple Liquid Cargo Ports - the more the merrier. Of course, each one has its own power consumption (480W) and you'll need a liquid pump for each if you want to make full use of them. At a rate of 10kg/sec per pump and port, I would personally go with just one pump That would take 540 seconds to load up 5.4t (only one minute off of a full cycle). My astronaut dupe can spend the time collecting graphite.

If you'd like some examples, I can show you how I transport some of my excess hydrogen to my third colony:

Spoiler

This is the rocket platform I use:
image.thumb.png.0fd1ab8be3cabc78347d4df5aa5c5e7c.png

The gas cargo tank (the one on the left) is the main focus here. It is constantly recieving piped hydrogen:
image.thumb.png.545e97de03a0897a715bfb187bab5ceb.png

(Please note that there is a single gas pipe on the output, because the port does not work at all without it)
So whenever I need to ship some hydrogen, I'll land a rocket with a gas cargo tank here (or build one). It'll automatically get filled up.
On my other planet, where I want to unload the hydrogen, I also have a gas cargo port:

image.thumb.png.ab367dd0f24a2ee5e89d0100786f8634.png

Likewise, note that there is a single pipe on the input of the gas port since it won't function without it.
image.png.58b1bd0139ea79bdfa01a5ed14d04838.png

Once a rocket with stored hydrogen lands here, it'll automatically begin unloading it. The hydrogen is then piped to my storage and generators.

I know 5.4 or 8.1 isn't really anywhere near your expectations, but I'd like to let you know that if you know of any tricks to fit large amounts of water in a (relatively) small space, you might be able to get away with putting the water in a Spacefarer module instead. It has this much space:image.thumb.png.ee0631cf896380f5a59c04cf6c6fd9ea.png

And you can use a Liquid Output Fitting (in the Rocketry tab) to take liquids from any of the rocket's liquid tanks and pump them in here. This entire room is 80 tiles, so if you're fine with keeping your astronaut completely submerged you COULD theoretically fit over 80 tonnes of water in here by only building buildings and mesh tiles. Just make sure they have a way to breathe...

I'd like to add that I personally feel like the cargo modules have too little capacity, especially for how large they are - the solid cargo module is the biggest offender. A 5x5 building can only store 2.7 tonnes while a 1x2 building can store 20 tonnes... You're almost always better off just building a storage bin inside your control module. No power needed to load it up and no power or janky buildings needed to unload it. You can also just drop the solid resources you want on the ground inside your rocket, which is effectively infinite storage space.

I think @Electroely covered most parts. (I don't really use cargo so... :roll: )

What I would add is my rocket-stats cheat sheet:

Spoiler

It's an updated table of this post (I stopped updating the topic at the moment.. :? )

413303299_rocketstats456658.thumb.png.55adab0473cbf585685f789cae7208f6.png

Also, the "if you know of any tricks to fit large amounts of water in a (relatively) small space" part, gave me an idea

Spoiler

If you are familiar with "infinite liquid storage" you could build something like this

254066811_watertransport_.JPG.b762bdc85896f1e900d2e615db2c75c8.JPG 

image.png.06082f85bbdf08a5dc4dd1ac50612395.png  image.png.35eb13ae9f7ea9796bae1a6c7d5e53b6.png  image.png.5ed1929ce05938dd0a3c66088a621475.png image.thumb.png.1dddd0f5a86e86c1db596912042712d9.png

Although it would take some time to load the water (10kg/s , unless you build multiple tanks or some other build I don't know of), you can transport any amount of water you want.

Rocket can be fueled using infinite radbolts (main topic for that here)

Or..

you could build that interior spacefarer module in a petroleum rocket

image.png.65a5c4e824667b734220b7b7a8ed0e90.png or image.thumb.png.3ebdd9051192269d6b4f93cdee5e2649.png depending on how far you water planet/water source on different planet is located.

Build your compactors out of cold ceramic if you plan on transporting ices.

You can use the coldness of the polluted water and slush geysers to make ice. You would need to go to the water world and deal with it there.

Take lots of ore for airflow.

I would just fly from one planetoid to another with a co2 engine transport. 

If you need to do this like once, then you can just have the pilot survive on bare necessities.

On 3/26/2021 at 6:03 AM, babba said:

How to rocket 20-40 tons of water or ice via rocket ?

When I was playing I explored all but the 7th planet with the steam engine rocket. Then for transportation missions I used CO2. To transport water from the ocean world I chill it to ice and then move it via internal cargo storages - 40-60t at once. It did chill the habitat but then I alternate with moving hot metal from pip asteroid so the temperature balanced out.

How I moved between the starting world and the ocean asteroid in CO2 rocket? I had an intermediary stop at moo asteroid for a fast refuel.

I am playing Valheim nowdays.

Just now, KonfigSys said:

When I was playing I explored all but the 7th planet with the steam engine rocket. Then for transportation missions I used CO2. To transport water from the ocean world I chill it to ice and then move it via internal cargo storages - 40-60t at once. It did chill the habitat but then I alternate with moving hot metal from pip asteroid so the temperature balanced out.

How I moved between the starting world and the ocean asteroid in CO2 rocket? I had an intermediary stop at moo asteroid for a fast refuel.

I am playing Valheim nowdays.

That`s great ideas. Thank you dear @KonfigSys :p

Archived