Controller moves during selection in world settings and crafting menu

If you was to open the crafting menu, the controller would move by itself and set all item skins by default (as if I’m holding left on the right joystick) this also happens during the world settings menu. It’s definitely not me controller and this has been occurring before and after the update. I’m hoping this is how I send bug reports.

To ensure it's not a hardware problem: Does adjusting the stick to the right make it no longer have this effect?

I know with joysticks they wear down over time through use and get what is known as drift wherein the stick has a free roaming tolerance area where it registers input despite not actually being touched.  Most PC games have a setting called a deadzone for these joysticks where you can set a threshold that must be met before the joystick is said to be 'active' in use by ignoring all inputs until it is tilted to a certain point.  (Usually this value is 0.25, or 25% of the rotation angle)

13 hours ago, teetyl said:

If you was to open the crafting menu, the controller would move by itself and set all item skins by default (as if I’m holding left on the right joystick) this also happens during the world settings menu. It’s definitely not me controller and this has been occurring before and after the update. I’m hoping this is how I send bug reports.

Sometimes if would stop, other times it wouldn’t, I just want to make sure if this is a bug that needs fixed before buying another controller. That problem has only occurred in this game, any other game I’ve played in has not had this problem.

13 hours ago, CarlZalph said:

To ensure it's not a hardware problem: Does adjusting the stick to the right make it no longer have this effect?

I know with joysticks they wear down over time through use and get what is known as drift wherein the stick has a free roaming tolerance area where it registers input despite not actually being touched.  Most PC games have a setting called a deadzone for these joysticks where you can set a threshold that must be met before the joystick is said to be 'active' in use by ignoring all inputs until it is tilted to a certain point.  (Usually this value is 0.25, or 25% of the rotation angle)

Sometimes if would stop, other times it wouldn’t, I just want to make sure if this is a bug that needs fixed before buying another controller. That problem has only occurred in this game, any other game I’ve played in has not had this problem. (I didn’t know how to quote so if you see this copied, that’s why)

I'm not sure it's the exact same thing but something's similar happening to me and I 100% assure you that it is from my controller.  I have done several tests and it is the joystick that does not return exactly to position 0 that is causing its. 

On 3/13/2021 at 12:23 PM, Naloj said:

I'm not sure it's the exact same thing but something's similar happening to me and I 100% assure you that it is from my controller.  I have done several tests and it is the joystick that does not return exactly to position 0 that is causing its. 

I don’t think it’s my controller though. I’ve had multiple bugs ever since the update, and the controller I have is new as well

Sometimes I have the same problem, this never happens before the QoL update. Looks like its related to the chest opening bug, character keeps opening the chest and if you walk away you get bounced back to the chest. I can fix this by pressing the R2 button one time and everything is fine again.

ps4 controllers tend to do that kind of stuff and the menu + crafting tabs in DST are way too sensitive regarding that. i've had that issue 3 times in the past, it was always fixed by using a new controller... if you didnt already, you should try another controller just to be sure.

I'm having the same issue, but in my case it isn't intermittent.
ISSUE: When a DualShock 4 controller is used with the game, the game acts as if a consistent left input is being received through the right thumbstick when no input is being made by the user. This makes adjustment of the settings while a controller is connected for example, impossible. The behavior is identical with two controllers of the same type and controller calibration and adjustment of thumbstick deadzones makes no difference. No other games I've used with the controllers display this behavior (that are not part of the Don't Starve series).

I've had this issue for sometime now. I think its because of my controller has a super small drift but I also think this game is super sensitive. Other games don't have this issue and don't move so I think they just need to reduce the sensitivity a bit.

On 5/10/2021 at 9:34 PM, HowlVoid said:

I've had this issue for sometime now. I think its because of my controller has a super small drift but I also think this game is super sensitive. Other games don't have this issue and don't move so I think they just need to reduce the sensitivity a bit.

Yeah, there is a parameter called "deadzone" that is taken into account when the game is processing controller input. It represents minimal distance the stick has to travel from it's center, before the input is registered. Some games give you the option to adjust this setting, although that's rare (Titanfall 2). I do not know what is considered industry standard, but few offenders have this value set close to 0 and DST is one of those titles.

Weird oversight, given how devastating such occurrence can be (panic campfire in the middle of night? No problem, I just moved you an inch. Or did I?)

Archived