Taming Already-Exposed Volcanoes?

Can someone point me to an Iron Volcano Tamer (for both energy and refined iron) that:
A)Doesn't require space/exotic metals, and
B)Can be built after the Volcano has already been activated (but sealed away).

I like these, but they each require one of those items.

Francis John (probably my favorite, only pre-activation)

Tony Advanced (very complex build, only pre-activation)

MooChiChi (requires Niobium)

Hello friend,

if you using my build, you do not necessarily require exotic materials. No matter which type of volcano you want to tame, you can always (alternative) use the automation for tungsten volcanoes.

On 1/22/2021 at 12:14 AM, MooChiChi said:

Use this automation to tame your tungsten volcano(es), and/or as an alternative for your iron volcano(es), if no thermium is available

dexe5vS.jpg

The tungsten volcano does not allow the use of hydro sensors, due to the high temperature. That's why we use a cycle sensor to check once a cycle if there is liquid tungsten ready for processing.

• The battery (high: 100 / low: 0) is via NOT-gate connected to an AND-gate. The liquid pipe thermo sensor (20 °C) is also connected to the AND-gate. When the temperature of the cooling loop rises above 20 °C and the battery is fully charged, the aquatuner receives a green signal.
  • The cycle sensor (active duration 1% / active time: whatever you want), will activate once every cycle for 6s to check, if the pump absorbs tungsten. The same signal goes through a FILTER-gate (3s) -to reduce unnecessary waste of heat- into an OR-gate and reach eventually the steam turbine. The second signal in the OR-gate activates the turbine via liquid pipe thermo sensor, when the cooling loop exceeds the set temperature (20 °C). If the pump absorbs tungsten: the liquid pipe element sensor (tungsten) will send a green signal, which is converted via NOT-gate into a red signal. The red signal ensures, that the liquid shutoff will only route not-tungsten back to the pump, while tungsten can continue to flow into processing. As long the pump is absorbing tungsten, the element sensor will send continuously a green signal through the BUFFER-gate (2s) and allow the pump and also the turbine to work. As soon tungsten is no longer being pumped, the pump and the turbine are deactivated (after 2s), until the cycle sensor switches them on again to check, if the pump absorbs tungsten.

44 minutes ago, SpocksEars said:

B)Can be built after the Volcano has already been activated (but sealed away).

You can cap an opened volcano by building a coal temp shift plate on top of the producing tile (2 tiles above second neutronium from the left).  The coal will "melt" into refined carbon which will form as a natural tile blocking any further eruption.

Then you can go about building, vacuuming whatever tamer you like in peace.  I'm partial to the francis john "build a steam room around it" style.

Thanks MooChiChi (cow udder? LOL) - I didn't read the rest of your very informative original post where you adapted your design to different circumstances. Looks like a fun challenge.

ghkbrew - OMG I didn't realize you could effectively de-activate a volcano this way!!! I'm sure the idea works for geysers too. I'm at "work" right now, but boy am I tempted to try this to see it in action. Perhaps on my "lunch" break.

This forum is the best.

I'm not a fan of the Francis John build because it's susceptible to a number of bugs. I imagine most people don't care, but in the interest of documenting such things here is what I do. No exotic materials and could potentially be built with an already activated volcano, depending on what that means exactly.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.7fc6efcc0c97c90ce9dfe07b1d39e17f.png

image.thumb.png.7ff9f5d62cade5a667c9ae67c42b289e.png

image.thumb.png.98ca251b2089ced64b6c9010b0d995a1.png

image.thumb.png.98f19172bcd0aaa17a91c1624e9c6956.png

This is gold, but iron would just need to be wider to fit in another self cooled turbine.

The atmo sensor adds water in case of the disappearing steam bug.

Dripping molten gold/iron into the crude oil avoids the debris solidification bug.

The chute discards the last two packets on the rail to mostly avoid the debris partial removal bug.

The alcove with the 3 insulated tiles on the left avoids the heat of vaporization bug.

The automation starting on the weight plate stops the sweeper and loader from constantly running. The sweeper is disabled until one eruption is complete and the loader is disabled while the sweeper is gathering debris.

Weight plate is above 40 kg. Going above 40 kg on the plate means the volcano started an eruption. Filter is the volcano eruption time, the 60 seconds or whatever. Buffer is 8 seconds. Sweepers are derpy sometimes and don't pick up all that they can at once, 8 seems enough time to let them pick up and place twice which should get everything. Could go with 12 to be extra safe. Atmo is below 10 kg, but in a wider iron setup I would probably go with 15. The chute sensor is an element set to the type of volcano. And shutoff sensor is temperature set to below 125 C, maybe 126 if stuff sticks around on the rail too long.

1 hour ago, mathmanican said:

It's almost as if trying to avoid the bugs is an engineering project or full on game in itself.

Exactly that. The joy of the game comes from engineering solutions to problems. The game has long passed into sandbox "make your own challenges" territory. I will begrudgingly admit, and it pains me greatly to do so, that the bugs have added a queer sort of replayability via the "avoid bugs" challenge.

1 hour ago, wachunga said:

replayability via the "avoid bugs" challenge.

Same. Though I sometimes play exploit them all and sometimes play avoid them all. Sometimes I pick and choose. For now I'm ONI dormant as work has consumed all free time.

Archived