Dude - Help Critique My Base!

(Full Disclosure - I've posted this on both Klei and Reddit so ignore if you've already answered)

Hi all,
Can some of you good people critique my base? 
I haven't researched anything in ages because I'm constantly playing catch-up with power, heat, water, etc.
I want to build Francis John's Industrial Brick, but it seems like I need some infrastructure bolstering.
I created a great geo-thermal plant, worked great at first, but now overheats unless I crank the steam way down (like 135C).
I had plenty of hatch-based coal production, and was stockpiling more and more, but suddenly something is eating all my power, even with my paltry geo-thermal addition, and I'm losing coal stockpile slowly. WTH?
I'm trying to start the Tony Advanced steady-power steam vent tamer to get more power and water.
I'm almost exclusively using sieved polluted water for my supply.
I only turn my hatcheries on when I'm getting low an hatches.
Do I have enough O2 production?
Are my dupes prioritized correctly?
Is there anything else missing?
The Space Biome seems like a distant dream at this point...help.

Thanks so much all!

P.S. I've been playing the game for hundreds of hours, and this is my first base...

P.P.S Thanks to Francis John, Cryptic Fox, Bombgar, Tony Advanced, and many others! You guys rock!

Current Game.png

Current Game.sav

8 hours ago, SpocksEars said:

Bombgar

I'm guessing that is auto correct being auto correct, but did you mean Brothgar (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1BZnq-fX0Ea4ka4d8cnc0w)?

For your power problem, I recommend going through and automating everything possible to be on the minimum amount of time necessary. That should help keep power consumption down (lights can be hooked up to dupe sensors, unless part of a farm), and harness and geysers you haven't already.

13 hours ago, SpocksEars said:

I created a great geo-thermal plant, worked great at first, but now overheats unless I crank the steam way down (like 135C).

Steam turbines output heat, namely 10% of the deleted heat + 4kDTU/s. You need to cool the turbines below 100c for them to function. Luckily they provide more than enough cooling to cool themselves with an aquatuner.

power:

Do you have a petroleum gen?

Do you turn off your gen’s with smart batteries so they don’t overproduce power?

Do you prioritize other generators over coal with smart batteries?

oxygen:

You have enough oxygen production if it is close to 2k pressure in all areas.

babba - Sorry about the map size - I didn't realize that they only stick a low rez thumbnail in the save directory.

2tallyGr8 - Yes,I did mean Brothgar :) Not much more I can automate to save power - the only thing I use lights for is my Bristle farm. Everything else is on demand (sieves, loaders, pumps, etc.

he77789 - I demolished some more of the map above the turbines and that seemed to help a little with heat dissipation. As for the aquatuner, it practically uses as much power as the 2 turbines put out, which kinda ruins the point of building them for power, unless I'm being totally clueless about something.

clickrush - I haven't played with petroleum yet - not brave enough - seems too messy, and it requires a ton more infrastructure. I do have a smart battery on the high side of my 4 coal generators, so they go on and off. I still haven't figured out how to do multiple power source prioritization yet (use turbine, if that's no enough, use coal...etc.)

Thanks all for your advice. This is a terrible addiction!

55 minutes ago, SpocksEars said:

I still haven't figured out how to do multiple power source prioritization yet (use turbine, if that's no enough, use coal...etc.)

Hook different power sources up to different smart batteries on the grid. Set the power sources you want to use more of to a higher low (and high) threshold, and set the ones that you want to use last to a lower percentage on both. I usually have coal at 20/50, and hydrogen at 60/90 (My other generators vary from base to base, by how much of each resource I have).

I'm getting mentally tangled up the actual power grid layout, like where the transformers fit in.

Would it be something like this, for example?

Nat Gas --> SmartBattery(on 60 / off 90) --> Trans High  --> Trans Low --> Common HW Backbone

Perol      --> SmartBattery(on 30 / off 60) --> Trans High  --> Trans Low --> Common HW Backbone

Coal       --> SmartBattery(on 10 / off 30) --> Trans High  --> Trans Low --> Common HW Backbone

(As for my geo thermal turbine cooling issue, I found that a teeny tiny drip of water on top of the turbines do wonders. Also I should probably enclose the turbines in a hydrogen room to cool them more consistently. Also, also, I'm going to try the door trick to selectively shut off intakes.)

he77789 - good point! I hadn't thought of that!

Yes something like that makes sense. But I would put the max of all of them higher, closer to 90 or so. Typically when hydrogen + nat gas + petroleum isn't enough it means you have a high spike of power consumption that will last for a bit. It usually happens when you prime a new system or just started to set up cooling for a hot area and so on.

And if you are actually starving for power at the moment I suggest you keep an eye on it. Maybe you need to shut off some production manually until your base recovers. For example if you have a pipeline for petroleum then your system will stagnate if it is power starved (the pumps and refinery won't get going enough). A similar thing may happen if you start to setup one of these closed electrolyzer systems before you have a power surplus.

Oh and about petroleum being messy: It's actually great that it is messy. Both pwater and even CO2 are great resources, even though it seems like they are waste that you have to deal with. They are both useful in their own right, and you typically want *more* of each rather than less at the stage you are right now.

6 hours ago, SpocksEars said:

I'm getting mentally tangled up the actual power grid layout, like where the transformers fit in.

Would it be something like this, for example?

Nat Gas --> SmartBattery(on 60 / off 90) --> Trans High  --> Trans Low --> Common HW Backbone

Perol      --> SmartBattery(on 30 / off 60) --> Trans High  --> Trans Low --> Common HW Backbone

Coal       --> SmartBattery(on 10 / off 30) --> Trans High  --> Trans Low --> Common HW Backbone

I tend to plug all producer straight to the backbone. Works well.  I started to plan to change this a bit for AT/ST.  Since aquatuner is probably my highest power draw, I started to design a setting where only the power needed in excess of what the steam turbine produces would be drawn from the main power grid in an effort to reduce the load because my power spike are getting close to 20 MW, and I'm definitely not ready to replace the whole network with conductive heavy wire!

You can do the same with other part of your base that get intermittent but high power usage. I did that with the space biome.  All bunker door are now supplied from the main infras by a single

1KW transformer and a battery array.  So instead of drawing like 3-4KW when they are opening/closing, that part only ever draw at most 1KW.  Just needed to make sure I had enough battery in that "subnetwork" to handle the power spike. So it's like :

Main Power Grid -> Trans High -> Trans Low -> Batteries -> Trans High -> Trans Low -> Bunker doors

On 2/20/2021 at 1:06 PM, SpocksEars said:

The Space Biome seems like a distant dream at this point...

Running low on power is actually what motivated me to crack the space biome open in my latest game. That's like 2300KJ(IIRC) of solar energy on a good day. I didn't do the math to check if it offset the bunker door consumption, but I certainly believe so.

Archived