Pipes breaking

Hey, i have a question. so i have a simple cooling loop and the crude oil inside the first pipe of the output got to around -10 degrees and started to take cold damage and break. I don't think this should happen because crude oil solidifies at -40 not -10 but the pipe was made out of igneous rock if that helps. Also im sorry if this is the wrong sub forum to post questions on i didn't know which one it should be. (this screenshot is from later.)image_2021-02-15_225940.thumb.png.ed6c6bf5308ddb680e5a3eb02c63d909.png

16 minutes ago, Big_Boy_Slav13 said:

this screenshot is from later.

Could you post a screenshot of liquids plumping overlay selecting the pipe that was taking the damage? Because the only thing I could point out in this screenshot is that your circuit isn't connected right and is taking damage...

Spoiler

image.png.6bd85f66422711d715a4c9788d7b0228.png

Aquatuner drops temperature 14 degrees at a time so if oil at some point reached -26 it would break  pipes the next time it goes though the aquatuner. I found that the safest way to prevent cold damage breaks is putting a liquid pipe temperature sensor before liquid goes through aquatuner.

5 minutes ago, sakura_sk said:

Could you post a screenshot of liquids plumping overlay selecting the pipe that was taking the damage? Because the only thing I could point out in this screenshot is that your circuit isn't connected right and is taking damage...

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.6bd85f66422711d715a4c9788d7b0228.png

Aquatuner drops temperature 14 degrees at a time so if oil at some point reached -26 it would break  pipes the next time it goes though the aquatuner. I found that the safest way to prevent cold damage breaks is putting a liquid pipe temperature sensor before liquid goes through aquatuner.

i fixed the circuit thing and i also have a temp sensor. but i think i got one really unlucky really cold piece of crude going through the aqua tuner which caused that.

image_2021-02-15_233411.png

26 minutes ago, Big_Boy_Slav13 said:

i also have a temp sensor

If you mean the one before the shut off valve, you will need something closer to aquatuner (posting picture explanation in a moment)

Pictures below

Spoiler

Connecting temperature sensor to aquatuner (if temp is below a certain point deactivate aquatuner)

Bridge connecting in-in, out-out with aquatuner (When aquatuner works, exit of aquatuner takes priority. When aquatuner doesn't work liquid skips aquatuner, goes through bridge and continuous looping)

image.png.3e33bac7abcb72e44d3eaeea90876e08.png image.png.ec78eb151ead550aec63deb8d36528f2.pngimage.png.811fee12b20e3715c41dd65a3083509a.png

The way you built it, you would probably need to let cold oil pass through if shut off valve is deactivated because oil is too cold, in order to heat it up a little before going to aquatuner. I mean you will need a way to skip aquatuner

FYI except if you want temperatures to go lower than water freezing threshold, it's one of the worst idea to go with crude oil straight into the AT.

ATs are removing -14°C to each packet, undepending packet size and SHC.

To maximize watt uses, you should then take care of two things :

- the bigger the packet is, the more heat you transfer per watt (10kg is the max indeed)

- the bigger the SHC of the liquid is, the more heat you transfer per watt (supercoolant is the biggest SHC, then water is)

IMG_20210216_102522.jpg

If your final goal is to cool down crude oil, use a heat transfer buffer, where AT's loop is exchanging "coldness" with pumped oil, for example.

Archived