How Do You Handle Automated Rockets and Duplicants Getting Scalded Exiting a Rocket?

I Automated a Rocket to Launch when its Checklist is complete.  All went well until it returned from its mission.  As the rocket lands it heats up the area with gases as expected.  I have my Rocket in Space Exposure so the gas dissipates rather quickly but just not quick enough I assume.  With the Automation on the Duplicants run straight out into the super heated gas and gets Scalding.  How do you prevent the Duplicants from getting Scalded?

Launching a rocket without Automation is easy.  I just don't let the Duplicant out of the Rocket until the super heated gases dissipates.

You could potentially use the mass of drywall and ladders, a prediction of their exit path ( or a planned path), and a stacked radiant gas ( super cooled hydrogen ) / and radiant liquid ( whatever has a very low freezing point ), behind this path.

Such a setup could negate some of the heat - if you were to say, have their egress route leave to the right or the left of the rocket rather than vertically aside the rocket.

The contents of the cooling loop could be diverted as soon as the rocket lands. Or you could  preventively cool everything prior to landing - blocking their exit may also keep them in the ship rather than having them venture outside, 

If you you might be able to use the automation counter and some form of packet counting from automated refuling to create a cooldown period prior to egress path reopening.

@Sigmok Cooling rockets and cooling launch heat was the main reason for me to play the game, as I like to build cold war style rocket silos.

One solution can be to place (bunker) doors above rockets, holding 20-100 tiles of water/oil or whatever fluid + lots of placed tempshift plates to suck up heat spikes. Via automation the fluid can rain down as rockets start or land.

You find old base game screenshots of my rocket launch/landing cooling in this post and in this post :p

In such steam room rocket silos I tend to place all colony machinery, all aquatuners + lots of steam engines to produce the base power.

Once Klei allows big map play + all rockets + regolith + radiation ...then I will get back to be playing ONi. Can`t wait to build silo`s again in survival DLC and to bang a few reactors inside with nice bubbling pools.

Im currently not playing the game, so if I would need to cool a dupe popping out of a rocket then I would build a little walk tunnel (within my steam room) and rain down fluid on him or perhaps fan his exit/entry with super cold hydrogen...But thats how I play, its my style. Other players have other ideas and other solutions.

Wishing a nice weekend :bee:

3.png4.pngimage.png.957dd94ca53d448121b55253ac09d4a1.pngimage.png.a8ad52b7e132de813145c7c441888474.png

I`d just put a thermal or gas sensor near the rocket that locks the door leading from the launch pad to the base. The sensors will detect if there is hot gas around. While the door is locked the dupe won`t have a reason to leave the rocket so will stay inside.

On 2/6/2021 at 10:43 AM, Sigmok said:

How do you prevent the Duplicants from getting Scalded?

Just put empty docks for ATMO suits at the exit of the rocket. You don't even have to pull oxygen in there. Dudes run to the rocket in ATMOs, take the suits off, fly away, fly in, put them on, run through the danger zone, take them off at the entrance to the rocket silo. As long as there are no hydrogen engines, it should work.

38 minutes ago, MachineryMan said:

Just put empty docks for ATMO suits at the exit of the rocket. You don't even have to pull oxygen in there. Dudes run to the rocket in ATMOs, take the suits off, fly away, fly in, put them on, run through the danger zone, take them off at the entrance to the rocket silo.

How exactly did you build that inside a rocket and works..? Because as far as I know atmo suits need both power and oxygen if an atmo suit is left in the dock even if it was used only a little. 

3 hours ago, sakura_sk said:

How exactly did you build that inside a rocket and works..? Because as far as I know atmo suits need both power and oxygen if an atmo suit is left in the dock even if it was used only a little. 

No, I meant outside the rocket. Oxygen might be needed, according to what you say. I was more than sure there would be enough empty tubes, and I still think so, to be honest.

4 minutes ago, MachineryMan said:

No, I meant outside the rocket.

That's why I asked "how did you build that". If it is outside the rocket then outside the rocket silo? Are they not overheated when a rocket lands/takes off? I can't picture how the setup would be to work...

On 2/11/2021 at 3:53 PM, sakura_sk said:

That's why I asked "how did you build that". If it is outside the rocket then outside the rocket silo? Are they not overheated when a rocket lands/takes off? I can't picture how the setup would be to work...

Sorry, I lost that thread.
I'll show you what it looks like when I get to the PC, but basically, you put 2-3 steel empty docks and a checkpoint right near the entrance to the command module. The main thing there is not to forget in the checkpoint itself to put a ban on passage, if there is a lack of free slots for ATMO (And yes, they need to be filled with oxygen). The rocket takes off pretty fast at that altitude, so it doesn't have time to heat up the docks much, but I additionally put an aquatuner that cools them through the spilled petrolium, just to forget about it. 

This won't work with hydrogen engines, i guess, because my auto-miners overheated in vanilla, so the docks will overheat too. However, the repair is free, the warranty is lifetime, and the dudes have nothing to do.

The problem now, though, is that when dudes have nothing to do, they breathe and mess in the rocket because they are programmed to stick behind the checkpoint. And I haven't come up with any alternatives to the oxygen supply yet, so every time they breathe, it upsets me. I have not yet figured out how to apply hydrolysis, there is no way to cool the oxygen, room is too small. And the canister emptier works disgustingly. I have to think.

1 hour ago, MachineryMan said:

Sorry, I lost that thread.
I'll show you what it looks like when I get to the PC, but basically, you put 2-3 steel empty docks and a checkpoint right near the entrance to the command module. The main thing there is not to forget in the checkpoint itself to put a ban on passage, if there is a lack of free slots for ATMO (And yes, they need to be filled with oxygen). The rocket takes off pretty fast at that altitude, so it doesn't have time to heat up the docks much, but I additionally put an aquatuner that cools them through the spilled petrolium, just to forget about it. 

This won't work with hydrogen engines, i guess, because my auto-miners overheated in vanilla, so the docks will overheat too. However, the repair is free, the warranty is lifetime, and the dudes have nothing to do.

The problem now, though, is that when dudes have nothing to do, they breathe and mess in the rocket because they are programmed to stick behind the checkpoint. And I haven't come up with any alternatives to the oxygen supply yet, so every time they breathe, it upsets me. I have not yet figured out how to apply hydrolysis, there is no way to cool the oxygen, room is too small. And the canister emptier works disgustingly. I have to think.

I would fill storage with full oxygen masks - but you have suits, suits so there's that. maybe suit can be put in storage container while full of O2 as well? Trying to get bottles of oxygen in is a pain.

If you have a thick layer of 02 at the bottom of the rocket, then you can get them to hold their breath in it, they don't breath as much  - at least not for a while at least. 

I don't have any issues with that so I'm not sure. My automated cargo rocket with a solo nosecone I load up the interior with the necessities before starting the auto route. Then they simply don't come out of the interior for extended periods of time. I also send them in wearing an atmo suit and manually take it off. Then when I get back before I disable the auto route/automation I manually put the suit back on. Since they have food and an outhouse they don't leave the rocket in between trips while unloading. To deal with the co2 I put in a conveyor rail and load it up with oxylite that runs through every tile on the interior (mostly to get it as filled as possible before takeoff). When it off gases it removes the po2 and co2. 

7 hours ago, MachineryMan said:

you put 2-3 steel empty docks and a checkpoint right near the entrance to the command module. The main thing there is not to forget in the checkpoint itself to put a ban on passage, if there is a lack of free slots for ATMO (And yes, they need to be filled with oxygen). The rocket takes off pretty fast at that altitude, so it doesn't have time to heat up the docks much, but I additionally put an aquatuner that cools them through the spilled petrolium, just to forget about it. 

Thank you for explaining ;-) 

I just assumed they would overheat and didn't go through the trouble of setting them up in space like before (base game). Like @Niil945 I manually unequip in rocket and put the suits back to dupes when they return but I haven't played enough doing continuous cargo trips between planets.

8 hours ago, Niil945 said:

load it up with oxylite

Oh. Oxilite.I was so sick of stuffing it into the oxidizer tank that I forgot it could also be stuffed into the command module. Thanks for reminding me.

(faceplalmdesign, avoid it)

Spoiler

2.jpg.7e8f7b014ad94c3fb17189e12648acf3.jpg

2 hours ago, sakura_sk said:

I just assumed they would overheat and didn't go through the trouble of setting them up in space like before (base game)

A long time ago on vanilla I spent a lot of time trying to make a fully robotic rocket silo. This involves placing a lot of hardware in the thrust area. I adjusted everything so well, and then I switched to hydrogen engines and had to dismantle the whole thing. But the experience with overheating remained. In general, even the steel devices located at the petrolium engine can have time to cool down. Rare problems occur when you have two rockets landing at the same time. Landing a rocket brings much more thermal energy than taking off.

Seems like the rocket exhaust heat doesn't respect boundaries when taking off. I'm still trying to figure out what the engine's exhaust ranges are for insulation purposes.

My best experience has been placing the whole rocket assembly and platform in actual space...

Gasses can linger that are low mass and high heat elsewhere. So the biggest issue is just cooling the path in and out.

It is possible to make ladders out of ceramic, so, cold ceramic might be the way to go as it can survive the temporary shock of short term exposure to heat of low mass gasses.

I think running radiant pipes behind doors and blast walls might be a good option to cool those back down.

Even a never ending loop of pipe though reasonably cool mass should do the trick on smaller launch platforms and standby rooms ( an equalizer setup with cool brine water or something similar ).

Now, larger engines like @babba have demonstrated could be a bit more problematic. 

So my first instincts at cooling the path out are good. It's the presence of mass in space that should be minimized. Less mass means it will cool off faster. Resistant or reluctant materials will be less effected by the heat. Space deletes exhaust gasses very quickly, so switching from crew to anyone can be a trigger them to leave the rocket.

Door permissions can minimize potential chores outside the rocket.

My latest landing was good - no scorching, used the crew mechanics and the door permission to keep the crew in the rocket for a short time.

I think it's odd how CO2 still has a tendency to want to sink even when so close to the vacuum of space. So the thousands of degrees, micrograms of C02 is a bit of a nuisance since it tends to linger in the biome background areas.

Archived