miniboats or/and motorboats

2 minutes ago, Dalek said:

the ones that contain interesting items need you do find Pearl and get a rare recipe, if I’m not mistaken - it’s not something you can do instantly unless you are VERY lucky. the ones you can fish is mostly trash.

Floating debris is not sunken treasure.

And all you need to do is find the messages in a bottle that spawn ANYWHERE in the ocean, the first one will always show you where pearls island is, you then go to that island and get the pinching winch blue print THAT SHE ALWAYS HAS for 1 bottle ( not rare ). And after that, bottles have a 25-33% chance to show you an x on your map, which will have a sunken treasure there that you pull up with your winch. Then you hammer it for loot. You can easily do it all in the first autumn, and you don't need insane luck to do so.

I'm fine with how the boats look. Do they look a little wierd? Yes but that's because the survivors built them themselves, and aren't meant to be fully realized boats. I wouldn't mind an upgraded boat that you could build perhaps there would be a second t2 think tank station similar to the alchemy engine and magic lab. Not really sure what they would include in that tab though besides a better boat. Honestly there would have to be a ton more ocean content to warrant a t2 think tank.

1 minute ago, Dalek said:

it came out 1.5 years ago and still isn’t complete - why releasing something like that and then just letting it be? and instead of improving it we’ll just add some colourful fish and a giant crab with gems, perfect. 

and I beg your pardon, but practicing what? turning the steering wheel 5 seconds instead of 3? 

read every update and you will see how much stuff have every update that are monthly

do you expect a biome bigger than the entire map getting filled in few months?

2 minutes ago, DarkPulse91 said:

Floating debris is not sunken treasure.

And all you need to do is find the messages in a bottle that spawn ANYWHERE in the ocean, the first one will always show you where pearls island is, you then go to that island and get the pinching winch blue print THAT SHE ALWAYS HAS for 1 bottle ( not rare ). And after that, bottles have a 25-33% chance to show you an x on your map, which will have a sunken treasure there that you pull up with your winch. Then you hammer it for loot. You can easily do it all in the first autumn, and you don't need insane luck to do so.

so you say that one need to find a bottle, then swim to the other end of the map - I talk from my experience - to find a mob that can turn that bottle to a recipe, then you need to swim - again, not so fast and through the half-empty ocean for more ingredients, then create the mcguffin and all of this to make the seafaring interesting.

noise

3 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

read every update and you will see how much stuff have every update that are monthly

one thing that I would like to is some kind of a pointer to lunar island, because right now finding it takes mundane exploring through the uninteresting ocean. 

5 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

The reason it feels like there's not a lot there is because its so segregated from the main land. If only the mainland biomes themselves or at least maybe the non mandatory ones (bee land, 2nd decidious forest, spider quarry etc.) were their own islands. Because i agree that sailing is good mechanically but it doesnt change the fact you are largely sailing in a circle. Itd be so much more interesting if there were rivers that cut though the map.  Here's hoping there will be an archipelago map generation option in the March QOL update.

2 minutes ago, sudoku said:

The reason it feels like there's not a lot there is because its so segregated from the main land. If only the mainland biomes themselves or at least maybe the non mandatory ones (bee land, 2nd decidious forest, spider quarry etc.) were their own islands. Because i agree that sailing is good mechanically but it doesnt change the fact you are largely sailing in a circle. Itd be so much more interesting if there were rivers that cut though the map.  Here's hoping there will be an archipelago map generation option in the March QOL update.

that is the problem of klei hearing suggestions of adding sw into the main game, they wanted to add sea into a cooperative game that already has his map complete

if it was on me i would just add stuff into the biomes from the surface with focus on the caves instead of listening suggestions

24 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

that is the problem of klei hearing suggestions of adding sw into the main game, they wanted to add sea into a cooperative game that already has his map complete

if it was on me i would just add stuff into the biomes from the surface with focus on the caves instead of listening suggestions

Klei has been notoriously stingy with content not altering or competing with the base game. I remember last year around this time there was a thread about this very debate of should content be optional or not (that thread lead to klei acknowledging that players want base game changes in the 2020 roadmap) and the ocean, while it was being developed, largely still fell in with that philosophy of being optional side content.  However, with the farming update it at least shows Klei is willing to make changes with the base game so I hope future sailing/ocean content can better integrate itself with the base game/mainland.

35 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

the thing with SW is that the seafaring there wasn’t actually something new - it was just the illusion of a new way of exploring things. the reason why people loved it or at least had strong impressions about it was the new theme - tropical islands, pirates and sea were very refreshing, and I think people were asking exactly for this feeling even if they haven’t known about that.

1 minute ago, Dalek said:

the thing with SW is that the seafaring there wasn’t actually something new - it was just the illusion of a new way of exploring things. the reason why people loved it or at least had strong impressions about it was the new theme - tropical islands, pirates and sea were very refreshing, and I think people were asking exactly for this feeling even if they haven’t known about that.

To narrow it down even further, it wasn't the sailing in SW that made it work it was the exploration, the discovery of which islands you would run into next. You largely could not explore the whole map in the first 10 days like you could in ROG. 

This is missing with ROT not only because the mainland is a huge obstacle that you can only sail around but also because of just how small the actual ocean is compared to the ROG mainland. Some edges of the map literally will only have 5 tiles of ocean between the mainland and the void. 

1 hour ago, Dalek said:

so you say that one need to find a bottle, then swim to the other end of the map - I talk from my experience - to find a mob that can turn that bottle to a recipe, then you need to swim - again, not so fast and through the half-empty ocean for more ingredients, then create the mcguffin and all of this to make the seafaring interesting.

noise

1) you should already have a boat ready, so you aren't "swimming back and forth"

2) you can easily have the stuff already, it's just the usual refined stuff.

3) it's not always on the other side of the world, having 1 bad experience doesn't mean it is always like that.

4) you say "find a mob" like you need to be waiting. But pearl is always there during the day, so I don't see how that is an issue.

Sure you may not be exactly prepared the FIRST time you go, but once you know what's there, you can be ready and have what you need, not being ready isn't a reason to complain about content

And saying "all that just to make sailing interesting". When it's just: Find pearl. That's it, and how do you find pearl? Pick up one of the many bottles, simple

The only thing I don't really like about the core design of boats in DST is the movement. Is very slow.

This isn't a negative by itself, but a detrimental if you want to make you fight bosses on them. Malbatross only real challenge is to aggro the thing because it keeps running away, whereas the Crab King, avoiding its attacks is almost impossible, and the standart strategy involves freezing him in the middle of his attacks. Over and over again.

SW bosses on the other hand, flow much more smoothly, though mostly because sailing on the sea on SW is like walking, and while DST sailing can be more complex, more rewarding, and more akin to actual sailing, you don't have enough maneuverability under pressure to pull some emergency moves, which makes the combat potential a bit lackluster in comparison, at least when it comes to the melee side.

This can change in the future with new content, but so far this is how I see it.

I just want single passenger boats that go really fast when you row. Like a canoe that is for going from point A to point B. Hamlet has a great one that you can pick up and place on any body of water. To get across small rivers or just go to the lunar island real fast. It wouldnt have any slots so it wouldnt be good for exploring as you'd just get stuck on nights. Maybe its weak and mobs can easily destroy it.

Managing the large boat on ps4 is tedious and the animations for each sail and anchor takes time. Its supposed to be that way because it its balanced for multiplayer. It is fun to use when fishing and its speed is just fine for exploring though. 

4 minutes ago, CremeLover said:

This isn't a negative by itself, but a detrimental if you want to make you fight bosses on them. Malbatross only real challenge is to aggro the thing because it keeps running away, whereas the Crab King, avoiding its attacks is almost impossible, and the standart strategy involves freezing him in the middle of his attacks. Over and over again.

I feel like this is because the bosses aren't designed around the boats. I see a lot of people saying that the boats aren't designed to fight bosses, but the one thing klei could do to Improve this is to instead design the bosses around the boats. Malbatross is very clearly designed with the normal fighting in mind, not boats. Crab king is a little better, but like you said, it's almost impossible to dodge his attacks without freezing him, and some people consider that cheese

14 minutes ago, CremeLover said:

whereas the Crab King, avoiding its attacks is almost impossible, and the standart strategy involves freezing him in the middle of his attacks. Over and over again.

as solo, with others no. Is a boss designed to be fight by multiple people rowing and fighting the claws but klei let him to be able to be defeated by 1 player

16 minutes ago, CremeLover said:

Malbatross only real challenge is to aggro the thing because it keeps running away

it needs an improvement but people ask for useful ranged combat and when it comes people complain so idk

i always have weather pain/darts in my boat

Archived