How do the contests work?

So, I've tried to do the beefalo contest a few times, and each time the judge just shows up, calls the "locals" and their beefalo, says "my perfect beefalo changes from day to day..." and then he and the "locals" just leave.

What am I supposed to to? how does the contest work?

8 minutes ago, Blue Moth said:

So, I've tried to do the beefalo contest a few times, and each time the judge just shows up, calls the "locals" and their beefalo, says "my perfect beefalo changes from day to day..." and then he and the "locals" just leave.

What am I supposed to to? how does the contest work?

I believe theres a theme to each contest, so the Inkeeper might assign "Formality" as a theme. Which I think means beefalo with more formal clothing will likely win.

If you looked at my Costume Pattern recipes thread, you can see how different costumes take fearsome, festive and formal fragments. I imagine the clothing that, for example taking formal clothing, would do better in a contest that has formality as a theme.

This is all from experience, I'll have to look at the code later.

6 minutes ago, Blue Moth said:

How do you get the red pouches you need so you can dress your beefalo up in different costumes?

You don't need lucky gold nuggets to create costumes, you get costume scrap patterns when the contest ends. Also to participate in the contest you need to have INSINDE inventory the bell, without this you can't choose which beefalo is the one you choose.

5 minutes ago, Nogard78 said:

You don't need lucky gold nuggets to create costumes, you get costume scrap patterns when the contest ends. Also to participate in the contest you need to have INSINDE inventory the bell, without this you can't choose which beefalo is the one you choose.

oh, am i not supposed to use my own beefalo?

Well you have to. You need to build a few(4 worked for me) stages, you assign your beefalo to one of the stages(using Bell). Then you start the contest. You listen to the Inn guy and choose the beefalo that seems to be correct one. 

13 minutes ago, Blue Moth said:

oh, am i not supposed to use my own beefalo?

I am not sure why you think that, have I said sth like that in my previous reply? 

3 minutes ago, Nogard78 said:

Well you have to. You need to build a few(4 worked for me) stages, you assign your beefalo to one of the stages(using Bell). Then you start the contest. You listen to the Inn guy and choose the beefalo that seems to be correct one. 

okay, lemme run down the list.

I bond the beefalo with the bell.

I dress up the beefalo in the war outfit that i've already got.

I hitch the beefalo to one of the four stages.

i start the contest.

the trader spawns, he says something like "hey! let's take a look at the menagerie. let's bring the locals in to make things interesting. now, let's get this show started."

the pigs and merms spawn with their beefalo.

"my perfect beefalo changes every day."

then, the opponent beefalo attack their owners, and the owners and their beefalo despawn. The trader says something like "alright, contest over for now folks." and he despawns.

What am I doing wrong here?

28 minutes ago, Blue Moth said:

I dress up the beefalo in the war outfit that i've already got

This is not neccessery. 

28 minutes ago, Blue Moth said:

then, the opponent beefalo attack their owners, and the owners and their beefalo despawn. The trader says something like "alright, contest over for now folks." and he despawns.

I have no idea why anyone tries to attack anything. My only guess is that its spring and beefalo is in Heat, that might be causing this. 

Anyway what should happen next is:

Inn guy tells stuff about his favorite beff, then you have some time to choose a beefalo and after some time, he reveals which beefalo is his favorite and contest ends. 

Also sorry but i can't help you from now on, because i need to sleep. Is't 1am in my time zone. Sorry. I hope I helped you anyway. 

Archived