Cool Steam Vent Tamer

Hello, i have no idea if any similar post is around, so my apologies in advance if it is.

Since the new update, the cool steam vents are the only renewable source of water on the starter terra map.

My question is, is there any good setup to tame and cool the water to useable temperatures ( like under 40 degrees ) ?

The same setups that were used before the update.  Early in the game, let the heat radiate out so you get water instead of steam.  Later in the game, use an aquatuner to cool the water.

In the early game, you really can't do much about the heat, so try to set up your base so that hot things are kept separated from the parts of your base you want cool. 

For my setups in some cases i not cool steam vent, but heat it.....

If we use cooling logic we need: SV, AT, ST, spend 1200kv ( - ST generation) energy and cool steam to 95C water

if we heat steam to 125C we need: ST, AT, ST, spend 1200kv (-ST generation) and have:

same energy drain, 95C water and addition free cooling from AT, so we can use it for cooling something else or for addition water cooling after ST.

So for same energy we have 70C water (if we use AT to cool water after ST)

So if we use cooling - we have for first layer - 95C water output

For heating - 70C water output for same energy

So next level of cooling (to 40C) is much shorter and need less energy for "heat" setup

You can put in a "heat shield" towards you base to let the heat radiate only away from it. Once you have cooling going, you want to have some cooling directly at the vent because otherwise it goes into overpressure and delivers less than the max. That cooling serves to condense the water. 

For the rest, one set-up is to have a large tank below which you cool sort-of "best-effort" with whatever the direct cooling for the vent has left, and then a 2nd Steam Turbine/Aquatuner that you use for target cooling to exactly the desired target temperature. 

You don't have to cool this water, you really don't need that. Just use it for oxygen where temperature doesn't matter.

In regards to food, create 5 ranches, 7 hatches for each one and grow mealwood to feed them forever.

You basically get unlimited barbeque this way.

Just hatch the new eggs on 5 machines and the extra send them over to a pool of water via a rail. They will hatch there automatically, become hatches, drown and give you meat. Set up another rail and transfer them to your kitchen. You will have more than like 4-5 million kcals in cycle 400 or so. 

I generally ignore the cool steam for a while. It`s much easier to tap into the polluted water around that`s like 30-35 C. Later i use the vent water for electrolizers as they don`t care if it`s hot (as long as they don`t overheat themselves so better use insulated pipes).

Pumpin the hot water through the near surface biome might be a good strategy as well. The -60 C rocks can help you cool some of that water especially with the help of hydrogen that naturally moves up there.

Archived