Yet Another "won't pick up wrangles" thread

Forum: Searched, Internets: Searched

Hi all, I'm mid-game, I have 4 separate Hatch ranches, and a separate 4-incubator setup in a different room. When the Hatches hatch, my Rancher wrangles the Tiny Babies just fine (this happens with ADULT hatches too...). But no one ever ever ever picks them up no matter what setting I change. They all just un-wrangle after a while. I even wrangled 2, waited a bit, then looked at every single one of my dups to-do list - not a single one had any items to carry the wrangled critter anywhere.

Each Ranch shows as a "room"

Each Ranch has a drop-off, set to 7 max, no auto-wrangle, and priority 9.

My Rancher has a total Husbandry of 7.

My lowest population ranch was at 5 - made no difference.

This seems to be quite an issue - I've searched and searched - with no real solution - what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

I'm no expert but : when a hatchling is wrangled, it is considered like any other object. Husbandry doesn't matter at this point.

Dupes in charge of delivering things will then come pick it up to release it. You could check the Errands tab on the problematic critter drop-off, if it is more than #5, that should be a main priority problem. Maybe not enough dupes assigned to deliveries ?

(By the way this is all with regard to hatches, but I don't think it matters.)

I think I may have found the issue. Relocate Critter is a *Ranching* task, but anyone can do it. Because I wanted to have 2, and only 2, dedicated ranchers doing nothing else, I "X"d out every other dupe's Ranching priority. My dedicated ranchers were so busy grooming I think they never got around to doing any pick ups.

Some things I've noticed during sandbox testing:

• When a critter is marked for Wrangle, it's true it has a default priority of 5, I set it to 9 - but this counts only for the actual Wrangle.
  • Wrangle is a ranching-only skill, any ranchers will have "Wrangle" in their todo list after marking for wrangle.
  • When marked for wrangle, in addition to the icon, in Available Errands the critter itself will have the list of everyone who's about to wrangle
  • As soon as the critter is Wrangled, any dupe with ranching skill enabled in their priority will have Relocate Critter in their todo list.
  • When wrangled and ready for pick up, the critter's Available Errands list is *empty* and it has NO priority.
  • Even though the in-game info box says Relocate Critter is a *Ranching* type task, anyone can do the pick up (tested).
  • If every ranch is at drop-off max population, any stray critters can be wrangled, but will never be picked up.
  • If every dupe except one has "X" for their Ranching Priority, then your Lone Rancher may never get around to pick-up...

Thanks for the quick suggestions, all. Maybe I'll make a "Why aren't my Wrangles being picked up?" checklist in a dedicated thread.

Ok, THIS TIME I actually found the solution. It wasn't priorities. And this is really dumb, design-wise.

Ready? In the list of critters you can select from on the Drop Off, I had selected Hatch & Hatchling. These were the only "hatches" available on the list at the time, so I though they all got lumped into the same Hatch category. I didn't know there were more, its just that the game doesn't show them in the list because you haven't encountered them yet.

Then I started creating Stone Hatches. Unknown to me, this created 2 more checkboxes in the critter list, for Stone and Stone Hatchling.

To make matters worse, instead of the game listing critter choices like this, which would be logical:

• Hatch
  • Hatchling
  • Hatch, Stone
  • Hatchling, Stone
  • and so on

It lists them like this, which is not logical:

• Hatch
  • Hatchling
  • Molten Larva
  • waaaaaay down the list, out of view so I never knew they were added after I "discovered" Stone Hatches!
  • Slickster Larva
  • Stone Hatch
  • Stone Hatchling

Everything worked fine as soon as I selected Stone Hatches. 

Good for you that you caught it eventually.

FWIW, Stone Hatches are much better than normal hatches because they can eat any rock type. You would be well-advised to breed them preferentially and intensively.

Sage Hatches... bosh the eggs as soon as they're laid, those things are awful.

10 hours ago, Tsabo said:

Sage Hatches... bosh the eggs as soon as they're laid, those things are awful.

I beg to differ, they are fluffy, mossy and underappreciated.

The 100% conversion rate is wonderful for coal if you have an excess of polluted dirt to take out.
I haven't crunched any numbers when it comes to feeding them actual cooked food, but I have the feeling they're still OP in that matter.

They'd be totally OP if they ate clay. :twisted:

I'll take a risk and say that any rocks are more valuable when you're all set and done with infinite food storage.

4 hours ago, JRup said:

I beg to differ, they are fluffy, mossy and underappreciated.

The 100% conversion rate is wonderful for coal if you have an excess of polluted dirt to take out.

They are especially good on forest starts where you not only have 200+ tons of dirt and an easy way to make extra via pips. They can easily fulfill your needs for coal and later switch to polluted dirt from distillers.

I love sage hatches too. Some maps don't have sedimentary rock other than the starting food box, and getting stone hatches early on can be annoyingly difficult (and very random).

IIRC you have about 700t of dirt in the starting biome for a forest start. If you don't go crazy with dup population, it'll last for a while. Eventually you get into the oil biome, start crushing fossil, and get sedimentary rock to transition to stone hatches, unless you've already grabbed some voles along the way. With 700t of coal sitting in your ranches.

Sage hatches can also be part of the ethanol cycle, if you don't have a better use for all the pdirt.

22 hours ago, TheMule said:

Sage hatches can also be part of the ethanol cycle, if you don't have a better use for all the pdirt.

There's always a better use for that pdirt and it's called pokeshells -> molts -> lime.

Never enough lime. NEVER ENOUGH

Archived