Jump to content

New Rockets - Setup for reaching 4th planetoid


Recommended Posts

Did you forget an oxygen tank? I am just asking, i didnt try the new update yet. Some combustions required oxygen, if i recall correctly.

From Vanilla:

Quote

Petroleum Engine is one of 3 types of engines you can build on a rocket. Unlike the steam engine, the petroleum engine requires both petroleum and an oxidizer (solid oxylite or liquid oxygen) for fuel.

Unlike the Steam Engine, the Petroleum Engine does not store the fuel by itself. Additional Liquid Fuel Tanks are required to store the Petroleum. Oxidizers are stored in the Solid Oxidizer Tanks in case of Oxylite or Liquid Oxidizer Tanks in case of Liquid Oxygen.

When a rocket with Petroleum launches or lands, it exhausts superheated Carbon Dioxide in an area below the engine, which cannot be blocked by tiles immediately below the engine.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, blash365 said:

Did you forget an oxygen tank? I am just asking, i didnt try the new update yet. Some combustions required oxygen, if i recall correctly.

From Vanilla:

 

I have both an oxidizer and a liquid tank though :/ Both full.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, hthought said:

I tried the new petroleum engine, but even though I fully load I still get 0 tiles, what is going on ? Is it a bug ?

Have you guys managed to get to the 4th planetoid and back with the new rockets ?

If so, what setup do you use ?

We can do it comfortably with a CO2 engine so I do not see the necessity of the petroleum engine since it is slower. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

when i did some testing, the co2 and the small petrol engine had the same speed with one module.  only difference is that the small petrol engine gets double the range.  so you can drop a rover and head back home if you wanted, still 450kg petrol/oxylite, to an outer asteroid.  now they do plan to move planets farther away like it was earlier in early access as far as i understand. 

all my petrol engines could fly when they had sufficient petrol and oxylite in them.  it was annoying that i had to set the fuel tank to take fuel as it defaulted to 0kg, making it not fuel up automatically

image.thumb.png.2d8d47405f25bd7d0b6d1288

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, zerogamegame said:

We can do it comfortably with a CO2 engine so I do not see the necessity of the petroleum engine since it is slower. 

I don't get it, I was getting 0 tiles max distance. Guess I will try again maybe i missed something. Did they make CO2 engines better ? Cause you definitely couldn't reach the 4th asteroid and come back with them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, hthought said:

I don't get it, I was getting 0 tiles max distance. Guess I will try again maybe i missed something. Did they make CO2 engines better ? Cause you definitely couldn't reach the 4th asteroid and come back with them.

i not tested  yet but maybe you have more mass than fuel

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, hthought said:

I don't get it, I was getting 0 tiles max distance. Guess I will try again maybe i missed something. Did they make CO2 engines better ? Cause you definitely couldn't reach the 4th asteroid and come back with them.

A CO2 engine can travel 4 tiles (orbit to orbit). In most maps we can travelled to and back directly from home planet. Some need to make 1 stop. First landing takes a little planning, after that a simple setup is good enough for return trips. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, zerogamegame said:

A CO2 engine can travel 4 tiles (orbit to orbit). In most maps we can travelled to and back directly from home planet. Some need to make 1 stop. First landing takes a little planning, after that a simple setup is good enough for return trips. 

4 tiles total won't do it for the 4th planetoid though. It's 8 tiles to go there and come back. I thought the new rockets were supposed to be addressing that issue no ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, hthought said:

How do you refuel on a planet you have just landed and there's not even a rocket platform or any oxygen around ?

2 rockets, 2 trailblazers, deconstruct trailblazers, build platform. land rocket. build a CO2 chamber. refuel. go home. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, hthought said:

How do you refuel on a planet you have just landed and there's not even a rocket platform or any oxygen around ?

For "old" rockets one way trips (CO2 engine): 

New rockets (petroleum engines) can do round trips (I assume... haven't tried them yet) with ranges around 10 tiles or more (I tested some builds in sandbox)

If my game stops crashing I will probably upload a guide sometime soon..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, sakura_sk said:

For "old" rockets one way trips (CO2 engine)

 

It is strange I got this vibe a lot when I look through the forum. Which is false. If you point your CO2 rocket to the middle of nowhere that will be one way trip. But if you can reach a planet you can ALWAYS fly back. A few kind souls had demonstrated it before but seems  got drowned quickly. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, zerogamegame said:

2 rockets, 2 trailblazers, deconstruct trailblazers, build platform. land rocket. build a CO2 chamber. refuel. go home. 

I mean I was aware of that, but as I mention in my original post, I thought I could use the new rockets to avoid this wizardry.

20 hours ago, sakura_sk said:

For "old" rockets one way trips (CO2 engine): 

New rockets (petroleum engines) can do round trips (I assume... haven't tried them yet) with ranges around 10 tiles or more (I tested some builds in sandbox)

If my game stops crashing I will probably upload a guide sometime soon..

That's what I thought too, but I can't get them to go more than 0 tiles (the petroleum ones, with oxydizers)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, zerogamegame said:

It is strange I got this vibe a lot when I look through the forum. Which is false.

At some point will we get used to "new rocketry" in general.

In base game there was just a "can reach"/"cannot reach" destination, meaning to reach a planet and return.

In DLC you have:

Spoiler

-If destination is reachable (x tiles range of rocket)

  1.Possible to reach orbit (and after an update also planet)

     Warnings:

     a. If destination is x/2 tiles away no warnings

     b. if destination is >x/2 tiles away warning "partially fueled"

  2.Possible to land in planet (after constructing a platform)

     Warnings: (a, b)

  3.Possible to make round trips between planets (platforms in both planet, facilities to load fuel to rocket for the trip)

     Warnings: (a, b)

  4.Possible to reach an x tiles range destination but cannot return (stranded)

     Warnings: b

-If destination is unreachable (>x tiles range)

  Warning: insufficient fuel warning and rocket can never take off

 

At this point with new engines (petroleum, steam) you have choices. You can either make a one way trip (crash-land, build and try to find fuel for the return trip) or have a rocket with double the tiles range needed for the destination. For the second option, you still can crash-land and build a platform but you don't need to find fuel too. If the rocket can return you can also send rovers to prepare basic builds.

8 minutes ago, hthought said:

That's what I thought too, but I can't get them to go more than 0 tiles (the petroleum ones, with oxydizers)

Did you check if fuel bar is at 0kg in liquid fuel tank? Petroleum engine needs a liquid fuel tank, small petroleum engine has 450 tank in build

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think one thing to take into account which is not yet implemented is this : it is likely that there will be two types of rockets, small ones and big ones. Modules won't be compatible with each other probably. 
Note that it is my wild guess, not based on actual intel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
  • Create New...