How to make clothes useful

Hi, I've hundreds of hours in DST. I came from competitive games, so when my gf let me play DST, I searched for guides and tried to get better and better in the game quickly.

As someone who tends to like optimizing things, I noticed more and more that something I've thought quite a lot about when I was a newbie, which is body clothing, is actually pretty useless and outshined by either a backpack or a head equipment. Furthermore, it just doesn't make sense. Why couldn't a character wear a puffy vest or a summer frest together with a backpack?

For this, I propose two solutions:

1. Make an extra "clothing"/amulet slot that is separate from head and backpack/armor, so we would have 3 slots in total: Head, body clothing, and armor/backpack. This would keep wearing armor and backpack at the same time forbidden (which some people think to be OP/unfair) while making body clothing viable.
  2. Give an extra body slot, but with a catch: Clothing, backpacks, and amulets would take 1 slot while body armors would take 2. This would keep the current version's balance as in contrast to #1 as it wouldn't allow armor and clothing to be worn at the same time (e.g. log suit + puffy vest wouldn't be allowed).

With either of these implemented, we'd finally see more people wear seasonal clothing as well as make belt of hunger and hibearnation vest viable for their cost. As of now, every experienced player just prefers using thermal stones and a backpack over wearing any insulated clothes.

Edit: Here's another solution proposed by Mike23Ua:

I really like the idea of making while wearing body armor it “locks” the backpack slots from being used- but you don’t actually have to drop your pack on the ground and worry about other players hijacking right out from under you. 

its a simple concept- your wearing protective armor OVER your Pockets/Pack.. so you can’t access the items in your blue jeans pocket if your wearing a mid-evil suit of battle armor.. but you can access those items again if you take off your battle gear.

I think the reason I personally don’t use clothings is that it degrades ridiculously fast and other than the Eyebrella & Bearger Vest the clothings really are not that great or effective.

One of the worst offenders of this is the Spider Hat you get from killing Spider Queens it’s durability goes out super fast and I just hate it.. I would rather just Murder every spider in sight then to try and use this terrible hat item.

The same points can be made about the seasonal body slot clothings, they’re pretty quick to loss durability and they’re just not as effective as other sources like a Thermal Stone or even making more campfires.

I think that if they were slightly more useful, and had significantly longer durability that they would maybe see more use.

the Winter/Beefalo hats are good because they aren’t as annoying as Body Clothing.

The biggest problem with body clothing NOW is that you have to drop your backpack to use them- which in single player DS was a fine thing to do, but in DST... other players can snatch up your pack if you take it off.

its simply something I DON’T want to resort to in a room full of strangers I don’t trust.

I really like the idea of making while wearing body armor it “locks” the backpack slots from being used- but you don’t actually have to drop your pack on the ground and worry about other players hijacking right out from under you. 

its a simple concept- your wearing protective armor OVER your Pockets/Pack.. so you can’t access the items in your blue jeans pocket if your wearing a mid-evil suit of battle armor.. but you can access those items again if you take off your battle gear.

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

One of the worst offenders of this is the Spider Hat you get from killing Spider Queens it’s durability goes out super fast and I just hate it.. I would rather just Murder every spider in sight then to try and use this terrible hat item.

the spider hat is not a clothing item. It exists to allow every character to simulate webber perks for a short time.

or maybe just make it so thermal stone effectiveness doesn't stack?

They actually don't. Beefalo hat and beefalo hat + thermal stone take roughly the same time before freezing. It's been tested by many people.

^This seems like another viable solution. I'll edit the OP to include this so more people can see.

Edit: People can abuse it easily though. Since the backpack wouldnt fall to the ground, they can easily bypass the "armor lock" by unequipping the armor. This would be totally safe to do if they have a helmet as well..

1 hour ago, GrowthMindset said:

They actually don't. Beefalo hat and beefalo hat + thermal stone take roughly the same time before freezing. It's been tested by many people.

are you sure? as i read for other more wise users than me, insulation slows down how thermal stone lose temperature

Apart from probably being false, that is not what I had in mind.

If you have multiple thermal stones I propose their effects shouldn't stack and only the hottest or coldest one would affect its carrier. That is what I'm suggesting to make clothing more viable. Also give them pockets.

hi welcome to the forums 

as a quick tip you can actually just quote people without having to copy and paste what they say,like this

im not gonna say if i agree with you or not because in reality im just here to bring good vibes:wilson_smile:

33 minutes ago, stranger again said:

hi welcome to the forums 

as a quick tip you can actually just quote people without having to copy and paste what they say,like this

im not gonna say if i agree with you or not because in reality im just here to bring good vibes:wilson_smile:

Thanks! I kept clicking the quote button a while ago and it wouldn't work for some reason.

1 hour ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

are you sure? as i read for other more wise users than me, insulation slows down how thermal stone lose temperature

48 minutes ago, Well-met said:

Apart from probably being false, that is not what I had in mind.

I can't believe I doubted myself on something I've thoroughly researched and even tested myself just because 3 internet strangers disagree.

Good news. You're gonna learn something new today - The DST wiki's information, which is that the thermal stone has an independent temperature and insulation UNAFFECTED BY THE PLAYER'S INSULATION, and that the people in Reddit that have tested this numerous times, are all correct. Please trust me this time. I spent my previous hour testing (and recording) just to verify my knowledge (again). Sigh.

You're welcome.

Edit:

as i read for other more wise users than me, insulation slows down how thermal stone lose temperature

May I know who these "other more wise users than you" are? I'm frankly annoyed by how they've apparently spread misinformation with confidence without even testing it themselves.

13 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

im frankly annoyed by your arrogance

Because being prone to self-doubt and repeatedly testing one's own theories over and over is "arrogant". Okay.

By your logic all scientists are "arrogant".

Edit: Sorry if I sounded harsh, ma'am/sir. I was frustrated with these replies of yours which added absolutely nothing to the discussion and only spread misinformation:

Because is unconfortable

Your first reply even seemed like trolling to me.
"Because is unconfortable".
Who are you trying to imitate, Wolfgang?

20 minutes ago, GrowthMindset said:

Your first reply even seemed like trolling to me.
"Because is unconfortable".
Who are you trying to imitate, Wolfgang?

a lot of people on the forums like to make jokes(including i)

i understand that it seems like trolling but its just a joke so you dont have to take it seriously because that can cause arguments and that ruins the good vibe thats on the forums

thank you:wilson_smile:

5 minutes ago, stranger again said:

a lot of people on the forums like to make jokes(including i)

i understand that it seems like trolling but its just a joke so you dont have to take it seriously because that can cause arguments and that ruins the good vibe thats on the forums

thank you:wilson_smile:

Oh, dang. Was it a sarcastic joke meant to imply that characters in DST nonsensically prefer not to wear vests and back packs together just because it's uncomfortable? My bad. It's actually a good joke and I missed it rip

2 minutes ago, GrowthMindset said:

My bad. It's actually a good joke and I missed it rip

nah.its ok man(im sorry if you're female i generally call a lot of people man whether they are a man or not) i sometimes miss some jokes too.it happens to the best of us:lol:

Sorry if I sounded harsh, ma'am/sir. I was frustrated

Tbh a lot people on the forums sound frustrated normally; it's not hard to find snide or back-handed comments for seemingly innocent posts and interactions. Although on the other hand, many of those same people have proven to be some of the most helpful and informative users we've ever had. Guess that's just how it is in the internet though, you take the good with the bad, but focus towards the end goal in the discussion; and if neither side can be courteous, then there was never a real discussion in the first place.

Wow thanks for the information I had no clue that worked liked that. Although Ill probably continue to carry both protective weather attire and a thermal stone due to not wanting to be tied to a fire when the need for combat arises. 

Spoiler

Im also relatively new to the forum and Ill give you the advise that everyone will ask for proven results when questioning the validity of new information. Makes sure to always present that first or you'll just go round and round endlessly as some people are under the false impression that time played equates to experience. Trust me this forum is plagued with arrogance (double for hypocrisy) and overbearing loyalty especially when klei's tactics come under fire. Best you can do is present the numbers/your opinion and ignore them.  

The biggest problem I find is that weather as a whole is already not much of a threat. If we could carry the full 480 insulation at all times with no slot penalty then weather becomes far more irrelevant. 

If we could have life threatening blizzards on the other hand... 

Archived