Why is this room not registering as a mess hall?

Hi, i'm new to the game and i'm trying to set up a mess hall, according to the room overlay it isn't one despite not having any industrial equipment, being the right size of tiles and having plenty of mess tables. And i'm just wondering what i'm doing wrongHMM..thumb.PNG.b035c656376a8dd1ac0f5686d6b5dbb0.PNG

(also, while i'm at it, how do i get rid of the bottles of polluted water?) Thanks!

4 hours ago, Robotick said:

Hi, i'm new to the game and i'm trying to set up a mess hall, according to the room overlay it isn't one despite not having any industrial equipment, being the right size of tiles and having plenty of mess tables. And i'm just wondering what i'm doing wrongHMM..thumb.PNG.b035c656376a8dd1ac0f5686d6b5dbb0.PNG

(also, while i'm at it, how do i get rid of the bottles of polluted water?) Thanks!

Your room is 184 tiles. That's far too big.

I know it wasn't a question but I don not recommend using those yellow box for food. Especially in such a large quantity. They are not refrigerating food so they do not prevent spoiling. Additionally, I see a lot of polluted oxygen here which would speed up spoiling. It is better idea to use one refrigerator merged in chlorine. It doesn't event need to be powered!

On 1/10/2021 at 3:23 AM, Robotick said:

Bottle emptier: https://oxygennotincluded.gamepedia.com/Bottle_Emptier

But it doesn't really make much sense to put algae terrarriums into the mess hall in the first place. Oxygen diffusers consume more algae, but they are far easier to handle. They don't consume water and they don't produce huge amounts of polluted water, which then gasses off into polluted oxygen. And one of them handles a whole 5 duplicants.

Terrariums are better placed at the bottom of the base because they also consume a little bit of CO2. And you can place deoxidizers above them to deal with the polluted oxygen.

As for food storage. The easiest way to deal with it early on is to place the boxes into an at least two tile deep pit that slowly fills with CO2. You can speed that up with a coal generator. The CO2 prevents deterioration completely. Then a bit later you can replace them with unpowered refrigerators which are only one tile wide.

There are better ways like infinite storage and chlorine so that it also kills germs. But CO2 is far easier to handle and can be done right away as it simply sinks down and displaces all other gasses

17 hours ago, Steve8 said:

Oxygen diffusers consume more algae, but they are far easier to handle. They don't consume water and they don't produce huge amounts of polluted water, which then gasses off into polluted oxygen. And one of them handles a whole 5 duplicants.

In OP's defence, if you start in the forest biome (or the Badlands desert, which I am currently struggling through) then "consuming water", "producing polluted water", and "producing polluted oxygen" are trivial problems whereas "consume more algae" is a BIG problem. Algae diffusers are noob traps here.

I concur that you don't want to let them off-gas polluted oxygen onto your storage boxes though.

Archived