Don't Starve Animated Series?

So, I started a petition and it actually has supporters? I honestly didn't think it would grow more that 3 supporters but there it is, 41 supporters. I don't know if this topic is in the right category and also this is kind of self promotion on my part (but then again all rights and votes do go to Klei themselves so it's not really "self"), but hey, the trailers for this game are getting better and better and Klei is giving more nods to those who really want an animated series in the comment section for those trailers.

The point is I want to see where this idea would go. If an animated series doesn't work out then it doesn't work out, but if it does then it's a win win situation (sorta) for fans who want an animated series. 

http://chng.it/G9mgcJKmh4

Sorry if this topic is in any way inappropriate to the forum. I will take it down if it is (advertising and all).

Before take action and ask big streaming companies for an animated series, we should discuss whether Klei is capable of taking on this massive project. There was a post a while back on the same topic, in which a reply by Klei was mentioned:

20201220_063344.jpg.2b4870be622278eccdb8de1f10dc3d67.jpg.0ffeccdc76daa5068fc6bb5886d11d67.jpg

The last thing we would want is for Klei to strain themselves by working on an animated series and their already existing projects all at the same time. A Don't Starve animated series sounds wonderful, but would they be up to the task, or are they just catering to fans? We should prioritize their own interests and capabilities. If an animated series is really achievable, I would definitely do everything in my ability as a fan to bring it into reality.

18 minutes ago, Pinegrove said:

A Don't Starve animated series sounds wonderful, but would they be up to the task, or are they just catering to fans? 

If you mean will they make this for existing players; I know persons that don't like video games but enjoy dst trailers.

1 minute ago, Slagger said:

If you mean will they make this for existing players; I know persons that don't like video games but enjoy dst trailers.

I'm sure that the animated series would receive a lot of attention if it's created. However, it's important to note that this idea wasn't Klei's own, it was brought up by fans instead. Since the demand for it is great, it makes sense that they would try to appease their desire.

1 hour ago, Pinegrove said:

I'm sure that the animated series would receive a lot of attention if it's created. However, it's important to note that this idea wasn't Klei's own, it was brought up by fans instead. Since the demand for it is great, it makes sense that they would try to appease their desire.

As much as I would love an animated series, I hope the devs do it if they want to and they're ready for such a project. I don't want them to feel pressured to make it to appease their fans.(I'm not saying you're doing that. There's nothing wrong with fans showing an interest in expansion into other media. This is just a fear I have.) Such a project is very expensive and time consuming so I hope people don't get angry at them if an animated series never happens, despite the demand.

This has been discussed multiple times in the past. My personal opinion is that it's a bad idea, due to high production budget and time consumption while multiple games are being constantly run and updated. Creating an entirely new team for animated series in the middle of all this seems like a wrench thrown in the system. But who knows...maybe one day it will happen.

2 hours ago, bruhmoment23 said:

This has been discussed multiple times in the past. My personal opinion is that it's a bad idea, due to high production budget and time consumption while multiple games are being constantly run and updated. Creating an entirely new team for animated series in the middle of all this seems like a wrench thrown in the system. But who knows...maybe one day it will happen.

I totally agree. Something as big a project as this would be a lot to handle for any company AND while also taking into account on what it would mean for the game that we love so much. I am curious to see where this goes though.

What I'm scared with a secondary company animating the cast is by how underwhelmed I found the cuphead cartoon's animation. Compared to the game that had fluid animation, the netflix series seemed to be a downgrade. Just a little worried.

Though I trust Klei's work. 

I'm not sure an animated series would really work. Thinking like a casual viewer who would tune in, I don't really think the premise of the survivors simply surviving in the constant would be interesting without going the Lost route and showing the group in the constant but also dedicating each episode to giving flashbacks to a survivors lore and how they arrived in the constant (like an expanded character refresh trailer), since this is easily the most interesting part about the DS universe but then that kind of kills the mystery which fuels Don't Starve's lore.

On 1/10/2021 at 7:19 AM, minespatch said:

What I'm scared with a secondary company animating the cast is by how underwhelmed I found the cuphead cartoon's animation. Compared to the game that had fluid animation, the netflix series seemed to be a downgrade. Just a little worried.

Though I trust Klei's work. 

I'm not at all familiar with Cuphead, but I think that the difference between this title and Don't Starve is that the latter has had plenty of animated shorts alongside updates and refreshes, which means that the team definitely has experience with making high quality story-telling animation. I think that what the fandom means by an "animated series" is actually just more animated shorts about the survivors and their life in the constant, like the "Inevitable" short, but without voice-acting and a bit more budget-friendly.

On 1/9/2021 at 7:17 AM, Pinegrove said:

Before take action and ask big streaming companies for an animated series, we should discuss whether Klei is capable of taking on this massive project. There was a post a while back on the same topic, in which a reply by Klei was mentioned:

20201220_063344.jpg.2b4870be622278eccdb8de1f10dc3d67.jpg.0ffeccdc76daa5068fc6bb5886d11d67.jpg

The last thing we would want is for Klei to strain themselves by working on an animated series and their already existing projects all at the same time. A Don't Starve animated series sounds wonderful, but would they be up to the task, or are they just catering to fans? We should prioritize their own interests and capabilities. If an animated series is really achievable, I would definitely do everything in my ability as a fan to bring it into reality.

This for the most part means, if Klei had the funding from a big streaming service, they would probably hire a whole new team just for an animated series project. And would probably only include the art director for the game, and any writers BUT, the concepts and lore of Don't Starve can just be put into a show-bible for new writers to understand what's up. Sorta same with the art director, Klei already has character turnarounds and other animation tidbits that they could hand over. Odds are depending on what the producers want (which will most-likely be some one from the streaming service) Klei themselves might not even be involved other than, "Based off, Klei's Don't Starve Together," and other credits.

So Klei would not be overworked if a stream service would contact them. If the service is nice enough they might ask if some Klei staff and devs want to work on the animated series but, they have the right to decline the job or decide two quit their game dev job to work on the animated series full time.

Archived