Natural Gas generator

Hi I am new to this game and I think I am doing something wrong.

I generate natural gas with an automatic system and like to make some electricity.

But the generation of the natural gas costs me more energy then it is producing.

In this setup I have 20 fertilizers and they cost me a little more then 5kWh, But they only send enough gas for a continuous running of 2 generators and from time till time 4 generators. 4 generators produce 4800 kWh. And then I do not count the liquid pomp then runs sometimes to clear out the Polluted water.

So I am doing something wrong, but cannot think what.

oni-gas-2.jpg

oni-gas.jpg

Using fertilizer synthesizer for natgas is so 2018. I still remember the good old days when I started and everyone were running them for power.

They are pointless for natgas now. They used to only consume polluted water and give out 20g/s natgas. Now, they also require dirt and phosphorite, and you only get 10g/s.

See the patch notes that nerfed it: 

@Coolen As said by others it'll never be power positive that way, that's not fertilizer synth purposes. If your goal is to produce electrity from NG, you'll have to look for other way to get NG.

image.thumb.png.1602ab4aee730abd22b5d27636b7fefa.png

Most efficient way is the first above : transition from methane. You'll need to setup an oil-to-NG boiler. There's plenty of them on this forum, depending on what you have most (map space, ressources, etc...) and your playstyle.

Note that upon liquefaction of sour gas, one third of the mass will be converted into useless (in the base game) sulfur.

One single natgas geyser can run at least 2 generators, and one is guaranteed to generate (AFAIK with my rusty knowledge)

Running fertilizer makers for power generation was silly and nerfing it was the correct decision. It's supposed to be a byproduct you have to deal with. Not the point of them. Same with the oil refinery. You can also get some frozen methane from space as a byproduct of getting rare materials like isoresin

Sour gas boilers are an endgame thing and not really something that new players will build. So your first source of natural gas will be geysers

OK thank you.

I try not use other designs, but find out my own, so this was just a wasted map ;-)
The other problem on this map was the way I build it, so I run out of metals for my cables.
So I just remove this map and start to find another way to make electricity.

It is a shame for the design, it was my first big design with automation. With the only problem that I had way to much fertilizer.

Thanks again for your reactions.

14 minutes ago, Coolen said:

I try not use other designs, but find out my own, so this was just a wasted map ;-)

That’s the fun/frustration of ONI. No shame in pulling out a calculator and doing some maths to avoid issues like this in the future. So much thinking is required in this silly pee simulator :)

Archived