Sublimation station being able to sublimate things other than polluted dirt

10 minutes ago, JaxckLl said:

Wheezeworts are a thing....

That require a resource available only from a device that makes worrying about power pointless, or from a geyser on a different planet, at which point worrying about power is also pointless due to a lack of meteors. 

4 hours ago, JaxckLl said:

Sublimation is in a slightly awkward place at the moment because of the lack of power positivity.

Is this in regard to the polluted dirt sublimation or the off gassing of polluted water type sublimation? Why is power positivity a necessity? This side effect is almost entirely exclusive to the electrolyzer setups.

There is the mass effect that makes this process ( sublimation ) slightly more attractive. Hydrogen does one thing in the early game witht he hydrogen generator, and it's get destroyed in the name of energy. WHen you get geni's tune up working, you get some great returns, but then you're looking at mass being deleted to generate power regardless. I can see how power positive might be a side effect worth measuring in the electrolysis - physics defying I might add. But it's also mass destroying, so power positive or not, it's an entirely different chain of machines at work - less, even?

The manual wheel generator ( hamster wheel ) can get a tune up, I saw this happen the other day, ..couldn't believe my eyes, I'd rather run a coal generator on account of lost time and materials.

With the deodorizers being such low power devices, it seems reasonable to use them whenever possible - there are side effects, but not quite as hefty as the sublimation station itself.

If you ever get a chance to drop a 10T bottle of polluted water, it can easily keep up off gassing with 4 or 5 deodorizers. If you can get them to mop an flowing body of water, its possible to deliver it ad-hoc somewhere convenient. At this tonnage, the only thing using power is the deodorizers.

6 hours ago, Yunru said:

You realise Water converts to Pwater through a variety of ways, including several at a 1:1 or greater ratio, right?

I'm curious what ways you know of have a ratio greater than 1:1 (ie, create more polluted water from a given amount of water). The simplest is of course the lavatory, producing 11.7 kg polluted water from 5 kg water per use; sinks, showers, carbon skimmers are all 1:1. Personally I have recently discovered the following loop produces more polluted water from water [assuming my math is correct]: water > oil well > crude > sour gas boiler > natural gas > natural gas generator > polluted water (and of course recycling the CO2 > molten slickster > petrol > sour gas boiler)

But ultimately the discussion got me curious about the efficiency of the different oxygen generation buildings using some of the more common methods. Some assumptions include unlimited filtration medium and lit algae terrariums. The question was then, how much oxygen could I produce from a 1 unit of polluted water:

1. Oxygen Diffuser - 0.785 oxygen
    • polluted water > sublimation > pO2 > puft > slime > algae distiller > algae > oxygen diffuser > oxygen
  2. Algae Terrarium - 1.358 oxygen
    • take a portion of the polluted water > sieve > water > algae terrarium > polluted water
    • take the remaining polluted water > sublimation > pO2 > puft > slime > algae distiller > algae > algae terrarium > oxygen
    • much more complex and requires balancing between using polluted water to create water and algae to run algae terrarium
  3. Electrolyzer - 0.924 oxygen
    • polluted water > sieve > water > electrolyzer > oxygen
    • also, sieve > polluted dirt > sublimation > pO2 > deodorizer > oxygen
    • slightly higher efficiency than the basic 0.888 when converting the polluted dirt, but not much
  4. Electrolyzer + algae terrarium secondary - 1.020 oxygen
    • also, sieve > polluted dirt > sublimation > pO2 > puft > slime > algae distiller > algae > algae terrarium > oxygen
    • steal some water from electrolyzer to run algae terrarium
  5. Morb + LOX generator - infinite oxygen (I added this one just for fun)
    • polluted oxygen > liquid oxygen > oxygen
    • Morbs are still talked about on the forum; but I have not seen anyone discussing LOX recently as a means to clean polluted oxygen

Ultimately the algae terrarium produces the most oxygen, but is also more complex. As always, this all depends on the planetoid's available resources, the changing goals throughout game progression, and players personal preference. In my playthrough of Spaced Out, I have been having too much fun with the new rockets and space system that puft ranches has been low on my priority list. Also, having the excessive water of the brine and polluted water geysers in the swamp start, means water for the electrolyzer is not an issue.

5 minutes ago, yoakenashi said:

Ultimately the algae terrarium produces the most oxygen, but is also more complex. As always, this all depends on the planetoid's available resources, the changing goals throughout game progression, and players personal preference. In my playthrough of Spaced Out, I have been having too much fun with the new rockets and space system that puft ranches has been low on my priority list. Also, having the excessive water of the brine and polluted water geysers in the swamp start, means water for the electrolyzer is not an issue.

So, can you starve a terrarium of CO2 and it still produce oxygen?

On 1/6/2021 at 7:18 PM, JaxckLl said:
  • The problem with Sublimation is that it is presented as an early game source, but doesn't compete well with large scale off-gasing. POxygen is already widely available & easy to produce, especially on the Swampy start. It's even harder now to convert to regular Oxygen which really doesn't help (that 5W cost is crippling for the utility of Deodorizers, primarily of the metal & dupe time cost for all the additional wiring). There's not a good reason to build the Sublimation Station when just digging out another dozen tiles of off-gasing floor will accomplish the same effect.

Sublimation station feels more comparable to buildings such as Oil Refinery, Rock Crusher, and Glass Forge. They offer the benefit of low initial overhead and great convenience while requiring lower tech compared to their mechanically built counterparts (we're talking about early-mid game here) at the cost of inefficient resource conversion ratios. Whether or not its numbers are balanced is debatable, but the intent behind its design seems consistent with other buildings of its type.

Just as you can build petrol boilers and sand melters to achieve the 1:1 conversion ratio, you can also build mechanical sublimators to do the same. That doesn't leave the Oil Refinery, Glass Forge, and Sublimators less able to fill their niches.

There are other similar mechanics in this game that reward alternate, creative methods of resource extraction that don't rely on a single piece of technology that's designed to accomplish its task quickly. One example would be choosing to melt instead of dig ice.

10 hours ago, The Plum Gate said:

So, can you starve a terrarium of CO2 and it still produce oxygen?

That is correct. Algae terrariums do not require CO2 to produce O2. Deleting CO2 is just extra if you need it.

Unless something has changed in the DLC that I missed.

12 hours ago, yoakenashi said:

I'm curious what ways you know of have a ratio greater than 1:1 (ie, create more polluted water from a given amount of water).

I wish I could enlighten you, but you named the two in question that I was thinking of :P

12 hours ago, yoakenashi said:

but I have not seen anyone discussing LOX recently as a means to clean polluted oxygen

Whelp, you've got me to stop playing Skyrim and crack open the ONI again. I won't say I didn't know you could do this, but I'd forgotten about it completely. 

It'll also be my first attempt at cooling something and then reheating it with it's own extracted heat. 

SPOM stands for "Self-Powered Oxygen Module".

It was a sample build created to show how different mechanics could be used, never intended for full-time use as an oxygen source.

Of course, that didn't stop people doing so anyway.

29 minutes ago, TuxSam123 said:

Also, I thought this was about my topic of sublimation stations, but apparently this became a whole other thing

I'm sticking to it best I can. I like the idea of being able to stick more stuff in it to the point that anything that can sublimate should be a designatable thing for it. If they were to attach a recipe mechanism to it, then you could get a variety of things emanating from it as you might with a grill or a sludge press, etc.

These ambiguously named branches of research and buildings leave things to the imagination at times. I guess that's what's showing up here.

I think the building is a great add to begin with.

16 hours ago, The Plum Gate said:

I'm sticking to it best I can. I like the idea of being able to stick more stuff in it to the point that anything that can sublimate should be a designatable thing for it. If they were to attach a recipe mechanism to it, then you could get a variety of things emanating from it as you might with a grill or a sludge press, etc.

These ambiguously named branches of research and buildings leave things to the imagination at times. I guess that's what's showing up here.

I think the building is a great add to begin with.

I agree with you as well. Thank you for this reply. Now, I shall play Don't Starve

14 hours ago, yoakenashi said:

I'm curious what ways you know of have a ratio greater than 1:1 (ie, create more polluted water from a given amount of water). The simplest is of course the lavatory, producing 11.7 kg polluted water from 5 kg water per use; sinks, showers, carbon skimmers are all 1:1. Personally I have recently discovered the following loop produces more polluted water from water [assuming my math is correct]: water > oil well > crude > sour gas boiler > natural gas > natural gas generator > polluted water (and of course recycling the CO2 > molten slickster > petrol > sour gas boiler)

But ultimately the discussion got me curious about the efficiency of the different oxygen generation buildings using some of the more common methods. Some assumptions include unlimited filtration medium and lit algae terrariums. The question was then, how much oxygen could I produce from a 1 unit of polluted water:

1. Oxygen Diffuser - 0.785 oxygen
    • polluted water > sublimation > pO2 > puft > slime > algae distiller > algae > oxygen diffuser > oxygen
  2. Algae Terrarium - 1.358 oxygen
    • take a portion of the polluted water > sieve > water > algae terrarium > polluted water
    • take the remaining polluted water > sublimation > pO2 > puft > slime > algae distiller > algae > algae terrarium > oxygen
    • much more complex and requires balancing between using polluted water to create water and algae to run algae terrarium
  3. Electrolyzer - 0.924 oxygen
    • also, sieve > polluted dirt > sublimation > pO2 > deodorizer > oxygen
    • slightly higher efficiency than the basic 0.888 when converting the polluted dirt, but not much
  4. Electrolyzer + algae terrarium secondary - 1.020 oxygen
    • also, sieve > polluted dirt > sublimation > pO2 > puft > slime > algae distiller > algae > algae terrarium > oxygen
    • steal some water from electrolyzer to run algae terrarium
  5. Morb + LOX generator - infinite oxygen (I added this one just for fun)
    • polluted oxygen > liquid oxygen > oxygen
    • Morbs are still talked about on the forum; but I have not seen anyone discussing LOX recently as a means to clean polluted oxygen

Good run through!

There's also:

Wild trees->Lumber->Ethanol->P Water->Gulp Fish->Electrolyzer

As a bonus, you can clean your bathroom loop with:

Chlorine->Gulpfish

This is somewhat power intensive, but I haven't had any problems with all the free solar energy.  I use this in the DLC on the forest/slime planet, to give me renewable, since the only geysers on that planets are gold, aluminum, and Chlorine, none of which give water or oxygen.

It also avoids using any sand, which is a bonus.  Adding in a couple wild crabs in the room with the ethanol distiller also gives free sand.

Archived