End game Materials idea - Fusion Reactor

So I had an idea for an endgame design that would have both inventive to use AND require the use of endgame materials.

I bring you: The "experimental fusion reactor"

The idea behind this is to require massive amounts of energy, endgame material (thermium, visco gel, super insulation etc.) while having an incentive to actually build it, that incentive being a convenient means to produce large amounts water by means other than a geyser.

image.png.21ad458ab631e748199165f57dc7d84f.png          image.png.b6cf0eb59ce3f80e7d3ff659515b31d3.png

Now a couple a few points:

• Sorry for my inability to use photoshop etc.
  • This is just a prototype idea, the numbers, required materials, specific operation and dimensions could be tweaked.
  • The core idea is to require endgame materials, massive amounts of energy (from nuclear fission reactor) and have incentive to build and use it.
  • I'm aware of the mass/energy deficit and not matching up with reality exactly. That's not the point. ONI disregards reality in favor of fun.
  • Viscogel would need its' evaporation point tweaked to above 1200°C be able to be used in this build.

Inputs:
30,000W
Hydrogen - 1kg/s at 1000°C
Oxygen - 5.5 kg/s at 1000°C
3 Tonnes of Thermium,, 15 Tones of steel (Build only)

Note : hydrogen/oxygen would need to be preheated before gas pumped, piped and vented to their respective input compartments

Outputs:
10 kg/s Steam at 1200°C
Steam is produced in the middle/core compartment and pushed up (as with a vertical wind tunnel)
Radiation emission (whatever the implementation of this will be in the DLC, would require lead lining)

Operation:

• Reactor requires two full cycles to warm up. While warming up, conditions must be met:
            -  input temp of 1000°C and pressure
            - 10kg per tile for each oxygen and hydrogen inputs
            - Fully "tuned up" and "operated/manned"
  • Tune up of reactor core once every three cycles by an engineer. Consumes some amount of nioubium.
  • Reactor Control station must be operated/manned for 70% of each cycle (Therefore requiring split duplicant shifts). May not remain without operation for 60 seconds or reactor stalls
  •  If conditions are not met, The reactor stalls and can't be reactivated for 2 cycles.

I welcome discussion and feedback on this. I came up with this because I saw what I thought was an issue/gap in ONIs' overall game design. Rather than just complain, Here's my idea for a solution :)

Alright but fusion is about atomic nuclei fusing. As in you make heavier elements out of lighter elements. When two or more atoms "fuse" that's just a chemical reaction. All you need to turn hydrogen and oxygen into water in the real world is a little bit of heat.

Also where are you getting your hydrogen and oxygen from again? This resource chain is circular which would be fine if it were output positive. (Like: consume tons of electricity to duplicate water.)

Let's change it to something like: input hydrogen and a ton of electricity to produce any metal. Consuming thermium is a trade nobody is going to make for water. You can make as much of it as you want with some wild trees.

Viscogel definitely needs to have better thermal properties, as it is outright beat by naphtha+petroleum in range right now. It's not strictly needed for this - you could use molten metals (or cooling).

1 hour ago, KonfigSys said:

you spend 5.5kg/s of O2 to produce 1.5kg/s of steam(water) 

where is the profit?

Oops. I fudged up the numbers. I will edit that

1 hour ago, nakomaru said:

Alright but fusion is about atomic nuclei fusing. As in you make heavier elements out of lighter elements. When two or more atoms "fuse" that's just called a molecule. All you need to turn hydrogen and oxygen into water in the real world is a little bit of heat, causing a chemical reaction.

Also where are you getting your hydrogen and oxygen from again? This resource chain is circular which would be fine if it were output positive. (Like: consume tons of electricity to duplicate water.)

Let's change it to something like: input hydrogen and a ton of electricity to produce any metal. Consuming thermium is a trade nobody is going to make for water. You can make as much of it as you want with some wild trees.

Viscogel definitely needs to have better thermal properties, as it is outright beat by naphtha+petroleum in range right now. It's not strictly needed for this - you could use molten metals.

I have tweaked the numbers. The intent was to be a circular chain. 
I am aware of the difference between nuclear fusion and a chemical reaction - I have a degree in physics/electronics. The point isn't to mirror reality. It's to extend on current endgame content.
Besides, you could theoretically can in theory create mass from energy, create hydrogen by splitting oxygen or create oxygen by fusing hydrogen. 
Obviously the ratios and mass/energy deficits I've proposed in no way mirror reality but that's besides the point. 

As for the thermium consumption, it's using niobium in small quantiles, Not thermium. Niobium is also available via a volcano so is renewable.

I assumed input of "3 Tonnes of Thermium" (or niobium) means 3000kg/s for the following analysis.

Spoiler

Fortunately tungsten, niobium and thermium are basically equivalent given the metal refinery recipe, which lets you run off of any of them (if input is either of the latter two).

The problem is tungsten volcanoes average about 0.31-0.35kg/s of materials, and an example niobium volcano outputs 1.3kg/s. Thermium is by far the best material for high conductivity and overheat protection, so it's already in demand, yet we are converting an enormous amount of it into oxygen . For such an advanced build there's also very little excess hydrogen generated.

The end ratios look like this:
Input:

• Probably not too much power consumed with heat recovery from 1200C steam (even after reheating hydrogen+oxygen)
  • ~1.5 dupe labor
  • 1 parts tungsten/niobium/thermium consumption (ignoring tune up)

Output

• 1.5 parts oxygen
  • 0.04 parts hydrogen

An example cool steam vent gives about 1.6kg/s. So running this enormous system could convert a tungsten volcano into the equivalent oxygen of 33% the output of one steam vent for oxygen and about 7% the output of one steam vent for hydrogen. Nobody will use this.

Once you change those numbers to something like 1/10th the required mass of thermium/niobium, it starts to look usable (still dwarfed by arbor trees).

1 hour ago, Smithe37 said:

As for the thermium consumption, it's using niobium in small quantiles, Not thermium.

I guess "input of 3000kg of thermium" is just for building, so it means an input of 0kg/s? In that case, this looks great. Let me build it today. :)

What about a new recipe, which can only be cooked with the fusion reactor ? Like "Fuzzed Spaghetti" ?

The fusion reactor could have a food input and food output pipe - The dupe squeezes pasta in to the input and curly "Fuzzed Spaghetti" comes out of the output. The trick is that the Fuzzed Spaghetti requires a lot of cooling before it can be eaten, as its very hot hot hot.

image.thumb.png.b855c5e7fae6ccb78f72ccb42a3c4ebe.pngimage.thumb.png.029e88763c25ce623ce721a8f1bc8a70.png

Meatballs to complete the Fuzzed Spaghetti recipe comes from the Meatball Plant, which requires strong nuclear radiation to grow.

image.thumb.png.970268e5fc4be76ae0df480d1a7d156b.png

5 hours ago, nakomaru said:

I assumed input of "3 Tonnes of Thermium" (or niobium) means 3000kg/s for the following analysis.

Reveal hidden contents

Fortunately tungsten, niobium and thermium are basically equivalent given the metal refinery recipe, which lets you run off of any of them (if input is either of the latter two).

The problem is tungsten volcanoes average about 0.31-0.35kg/s of materials, and an example niobium volcano outputs 1.3kg/s. Thermium is by far the best material for high conductivity and overheat protection, so it's already in demand, yet we are converting an enormous amount of it into oxygen . For such an advanced build there's also very little excess hydrogen generated.

The end ratios look like this:
Input:

• Probably not too much power consumed with heat recovery from 1200C steam (even after reheating hydrogen+oxygen)
  • ~1.5 dupe labor
  • 1 parts tungsten/niobium/thermium consumption (ignoring tune up)

Output

• 1.5 parts oxygen
  • 0.04 parts hydrogen

An example cool steam vent gives about 1.6kg/s. So running this enormous system could convert a tungsten volcano into the equivalent oxygen of 33% the output of one steam vent for oxygen and about 7% the output of one steam vent for hydrogen. Nobody will use this.

Once you change those numbers to something like 1/10th the required mass of thermium/niobium, it starts to look usable (still dwarfed by arbor trees).

I guess "input of 3000kg of thermium" is just for building, so it means an input of 0kg/s? In that case, this looks great. Let me build it today. :)

Ooooops. Yeah my bad, missed a few spots. Maybe throw in 15 tonnes of steel for good measure too.

11 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

Fusion reactor? I am all for it!

Then we can finally get rid of annoying dupes by having them "moved outside, down the hall, across the station and into the fusion reactor" ;-)

days without duplicant matter annihition:

@Smithe37 I find its a great concept. As people are asking for fountains, I was thinking of a chocolate fountain I recently saw and was invited to.

What about if the total endgame, to build the fusion reactor, requires the "Fusion Reactor Chocolatier" :confused::confused::confused:

That master chief dupe skill allows the dupe to cook and prepare the recipe "Choco Liquid", which is required to run the dupe relaxation building "Chocolate Fountain Supreme" and also is the final skill to be able to setup the Fusion Reactor. The Creme de la Creme of Installers !!!

Archived