no astroids, solar cells overpowered

Without the risk of asteroids, I have the incentive to just us solar cells for my main power source on all of my asteroids.  I'm sure this is somewhat temporary, but with the dlc at the moment, I'm not finding myself economizing power usage.

Obviously, I can't run massive power costs projects, as my budget is still maxed by the map width, but I'm still finding myself interested in projects like continually circulating allair through the full base because 'hey, power's free'.

So, there is an idea up in my head for quite a while regarding meteors and easy space access:

Reenable meteors everywhere but add a new POI that is basically a damaged rocket hangar. You have to clean it up, repair a few systems e.g., to get control over the doors, get a nice new video for doing so and you’re provided with a save area to get your first rockets out into space while keeping the space biome itself complex to conquer. This new POI cold also be added to your third asteroid, allowing you easy access to radioactivity as well.

Of yours you could try to put your solar panels in this hangar, but than you lose the easy rocket start area. Or you could simply deny the player direct control over the doors so that they only open for incoming and outgoing rockets. But I do not know what to think about that…

I hope they don't add back meteors to the earlier asteroids...the later ones, sure. people complained about solar power being too underpowered and worthless before, and right now the power you get (especially now that the space is smaller and how you dont get much glass to start with) isn't too too overpowered...

I think if you wanted to slightly nerf solar panels, you should make them produce a small amount of heat. This makes them considerably less of a "set it and forget it" operation while still not necessarily getting in the way of the player putting up a few on many bases (they could just run a few radiant pipes to cool them down..)

11 hours ago, MrAnimaniac said:

So, there is an idea up in my head for quite a while regarding meteors and easy space access:

Reenable meteors everywhere but add a new POI that is basically a damaged rocket hangar. You have to clean it up, repair a few systems e.g., to get control over the doors, get a nice new video for doing so and you’re provided with a save area to get your first rockets out into space while keeping the space biome itself complex to conquer. This new POI cold also be added to your third asteroid, allowing you easy access to radioactivity as well.

Of yours you could try to put your solar panels in this hangar, but than you lose the easy rocket start area. Or you could simply deny the player direct control over the doors so that they only open for incoming and outgoing rockets. But I do not know what to think about that…

I like this idea quite alot.

3 hours ago, Lbphero said:

I hope they don't add back meteors to the earlier asteroids...the later ones, sure. people complained about solar power being too underpowered and worthless before, and right now the power you get (especially now that the space is smaller and how you dont get much glass to start with) isn't too too overpowered...

I think if you wanted to slightly nerf solar panels, you should make them produce a small amount of heat. This makes them considerably less of a "set it and forget it" operation while still not necessarily getting in the way of the player putting up a few on many bases (they could just run a few radiant pipes to cool them down..)

maybe tweak day/night on the various asteroids?  Like no asteroids on the inner bases, but long nights, so the free power isn't game breaking.  I absolutely think they should lean as far into 'cooperative early asteroids' as possible, so there is a tension between getting off planet, and a safe surface.

7 minutes ago, TinyBitQuantum said:

maybe tweak day/night on the various asteroids?  Like no asteroids on the inner bases, but long nights, so the free power isn't game breaking.  I absolutely think they should lean as far into 'cooperative early asteroids' as possible, so there is a tension between getting off planet, and a safe surface.

very good idea! +1

On 12/15/2020 at 9:16 PM, TinyBitQuantum said:

I don't think this would be very possible with how the game is set up, so all planets are running simultaneously, but an easy alternative is to just make the starting planet's light level from the sun lower. This way you can't get as much power from solar, but it will still be free power.

54 minutes ago, Asmethic said:

I don't think this would be very possible with how the game is set up

Asteroids running simultaneously doesn't mean that they should use same 'light source' logic, if they can use individual 'lamps' they can use individual 'suns' to get asteroid with different brightness or duration of day, even eternal nights and individual eclipses. that will certainly give the game a bit more variety.

P.S. In ideal situation each asteroid should be in own thread (or at least the larger ones), thus they will calculate the light separately

Archived