I have a small rocket with a full sugar engine and the same amout of fertilizer (300KG for both) and yet I cannot launch it farther than one tile (ie orbiting around my starting asteroid)

What is the catch ? should I load more orxidizer ? Or is it just a doomed design ?

20201209184828_1.jpg

5 minutes ago, stgo said:

and so in practice a sugar engine rocket is a one way rocket to the closest neighbour ?

Not always.  Right now launching and landing are free.  So if you have a star map with two rocks with orbits touching each other, you can send a sugar rocket into orbit, then drop pods, then get back to the starting asteroid, in 2 moves.  Just be sure to start by moving the sugar rocket into primary orbit, then moving into orbit around the second rock, then moving back into orbit for the primary rock, then land it.

If the second rock is 2 moves away, then yes, it is currently a 1 way trip with 2x trailblazer, or trailblazer and cargo drop.

18 hours ago, stgo said:

Thanks !

where this ratio can be found ?

If you look in the details of the command capsule there should be a bit about oxidiser, hover over that and it tells you how much fuel it will oxidise.

That's from memory but I think it's where it is.

1 hour ago, Whitecold said:

Where does the sugar engine shine? It looks like it is a lot more effort to go through than the CO2 engine, for a worse range?

it doesn't.  The nerfs they made to both made the sugar rocket effectively useless

59 minutes ago, chemie said:

it doesn't.  The nerfs they made to both made the sugar rocket effectively useless

Exactly.  Right now the "best" rocket to use is the carbon dioxide rocket which only requires about 60 kg of CO2 and no oxidizer.  I believe it's limited to two tiles (plus return trip) and three rocket modules. But at that low cost you can effectively do anything once you have a wood burner or petroleum/ethanol generator up and running.

Though one Sweetle ranch can crank out 2000 kg of sucrose in a 100 cycles or so and will be useful when the sucrose rocket is eventually fixed.

28 minutes ago, Kderosa said:

Though one Sweetle ranch can crank out 2000 kg of sucrose in a 100 cycles or so and will be useful when the sucrose rocket is eventually fixed.

You can also find minable sucrose on the starting asteroid so that should be enough for an early trip once it works properly.

43 minutes ago, Kderosa said:

Exactly.  Right now the "best" rocket to use is the carbon dioxide rocket which only requires about 60 kg of CO2 and no oxidizer.  I believe it's limited to two tiles (plus return trip) and three rocket modules. But at that low cost you can effectively do anything once you have a wood burner or petroleum/ethanol generator up and running.

sugar is 1.3 tiles.  It allows one more module but needs that for oxidizer.  So it consumes way more but goes less distance. Also, easier to refuel on other end with CO2.

16 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

You can also find minable sucrose on the starting asteroid so that should be enough for an early trip once it works properly.

I just noticed this on my current map about 30 tiles of sucrose at ~ 270 kg/tile.  That's 12 trips once you mine it for half. There' are also some oxylite veins but much less.  At some point you have to make your own oxylite which means you need to obtain gold from the forest planet

7 minutes ago, Kderosa said:

I just noticed this on my current map about 30 tiles of sucrose at ~ 270 kg/tile.  That's 12 trips once you mine it for half. There' are also some oxylite veins but much less.  At some point you have to make your own oxylite which means you need to obtain gold from the forest planet

with the polluted water geyser, seems fertilizer is better choice

21 minutes ago, chemie said:

with the polluted water geyser, seems fertilizer is better choice

Yes.  Sorry, I was trying to highlight the folly of using oxylite as an oxidizer on the starting planetoid. 

In fact I was about to point out how abundant fertilzer is, but the latest release seems to have nerfed that as well.  I only have 1500 kg on this map.  I might have to re-learn how to use the fertilizer synthesizer if it weren't for the abundance of CO2 floating around. 

Archived