Traveling beyond the first 3 planetoids

Has anyone figured out a way to do this or did I miss an announcement somewhere? I can't seem to find a way to get beyond the first 3 planetoids. After establishing bases on all 3, I used the telescope to reveal up to 3 hexes away from every planetoid, but revealed no other planetoids. I saw mentioned a Cartography module for the ships that doesn't seem to be in yet. I assume this will allow space exploration, and subsequently the colonization of the other planetoids? That and some better engines obviously. 

20201208161032_1.jpg

The tooltip of the second nosecone also says something about "enabling space travel". Not sure what the difference between that and all the iterations before it will be.

I also feel that the space travel feels a bit sandboxed at the moment. It doesnt have to be Stellaris. But according to the start screen what you are seeing is already 50% of all planets. Feels a bit shortlived.:/ I think the map should always include an asteroid of each type (assuming there are more than 6), just pushing the easy asteroids further to the edges or into deep wat.. space on the harder difficulties.

I'm hoping there will be more asteroids in the cluster, after some optimizations. Could be wishful-thinking on my side, since I am not familiar with the exact bottlenecks that made Klei settle with the 6 asteroids in the current clusters.

you can search space from the telescope from inside the rocket, just travel 2 spaces out and sit while your scientist scans.  then fly back home

you can enable debug to see how far and where the asteroids are.  it is still early access and the mid-late game rockets haven't been added yet

1 hour ago, zach123b said:

you can search space from the telescope from inside the rocket, just travel 2 spaces out and sit while your scientist scans.  then fly back home

you can enable debug to see how far and where the asteroids are.  it is still early access and the mid-late game rockets haven't been added yet

I tried that on sandbox mode to see if it would work, but the telescope said it was fully explored even though I was on the edge of unexplored tiles. Is this something you've done on survival?

10 minutes ago, tkthebadomen said:

I tried that on sandbox mode to see if it would work, but the telescope said it was fully explored even though I was on the edge of unexplored tiles. Is this something you've done on survival?

Did you try dismantling and rebuilding the telescope inside the rocket when out on the edge in space? That's what worked for me in the Alpha.

17 hours ago, Pulstar said:

Did you try dismantling and rebuilding the telescope inside the rocket when out on the edge in space? That's what worked for me in the Alpha.

but you still can't reach the discovered 4th asteroid, right? travel distance of CO2/sugar engine just doesn't allow you to travel even one way 

20 minutes ago, Khullag said:

but you still can't reach the discovered 4th asteroid, right? travel distance of CO2/sugar engine just doesn't allow you to travel even one way 

Since the nerf made during the Alpha, probably not. I remember the asteroids being just on the edge of the one way range before the nerf.

8 hours ago, Khullag said:

It wasn't listed among the notes, but having generated a bunch of test maps since, it does seem like they've changed the starmap generation to make all the planets reachable.   

The logic is weird but I think if any planet is within 7 tiles (measured planet hex tile to planet hex tile), you should be able to do a one way trip with a Co2 rocket.

8 hours ago, Brian.oni said:

The logic is weird but I think if any planet is within 7 tiles (measured planet hex tile to planet hex tile), you should be able to do a one way trip with a Co2 rocket.

This issue is this is still a one way trip even with the CO2 rocket and a trailblazer mod.  So, the 4th rock must have 2 spaces reachable.  Then, trailblazer down the 2 Dupes, and hope they can find a safe place in one breath.

I think it is possible, but there is a lot of luck and RNG involved right now.

Plus, even discovering that 4th rock with a rocket based telescope has meant leaving one Dupe to die in a rocket, because of the rounding error that can cause rockets to not get their full movement.

Archived