Wormwood is actually buffed after this update

If you plant the crops at the right season the crop you planted demands, you'll get guaranteed drop of 1 crop and 1 seed.

All you need to do is plant crop at the right season. No need to water, tend or fertilize to mass-produce crops.

Seems good enough! (Without considering the applied horticulture nerf, of course.)

For instance you need to fertilize 12.5 manures per "1" pepper to get the giant one if you don't use plant combination methods.

But if you're Wormwood in summer or autumn, You just don't need do anything after putting them in the random ground.

The crops doesn't wither or start wildfire after this update, you don't even need to build flingomatic near the crops right now.

And some crops, for example pumpkins, potatoes, asparagus and carrots grow well in winter, that means Wormwood now can duplicate those kinds of crops even in winter.

Most of all, garlics grow well in every season. Now garlics are competitively considerable rival of peppers if you're Wormwood player.

its not that wormwood has been buffed or nerfed, problem is that since the new farming is so cheap, his special abilities, plant crops anywhere, is not so special anymore cause everyone can do it in mass without the need to farm for the materials, which was the benefit of wormwoods crops

5 minutes ago, Wardin25 said:

its not that wormwood has been buffed or nerfed, problem is that since the new farming is so cheap, his special abilities, plant crops anywhere, is not so special anymore cause everyone can do it in mass without the need to farm for the materials, which was the benefit of wormwoods crops

Sure, that's because devs said Wormwood will get buffed before. But imo Wormwood is still significantly better at mass-producing crops  than other characters after the update. That's the purpose of Wormwood until now, producing crops more conveniently. Other characters could plant crops anywhere if they had enough materials to make farm plots. Wormwood was relatively worse before sometimes if there's no Wickerbottom or Maxwell to read horticulture because Wormwood's crops grew slower than those in farm plots.

1 minute ago, HeatAndRun said:

Sure, that's because devs said Wormwood will get buffed before. But imo Wormwood is still significantly better at mass-producing crops  than other characters after the update.

he really isnt, with wild crops you cant make plant combos to guarantee giant crops, and the faster tending to crops on its own doesnt make him better at that

6 minutes ago, Wardin25 said:

he really isnt, with wild crops you cant make plant combos to guarantee giant crops, and the faster tending to crops on its own doesnt make him better at that

Plant combos are very effective to obtain giant crops without any waste of fertilizer, but still it's complicated than running 1-type crop farms (like people has been doing before the update), and most of all the fundamental playstyle of Wormwood : "plant everywhere outside the designated farm plot area" since his release, hasn't changed even after the update.

Just now, HeatAndRun said:

Plant combos are very effective to obtain giant crops without any waste of fertilizer, but still it's complicated than grow same type crops (like people does before the update), and the fundamental playstyle of Wormwood has been "plant everywhere" since his release, which hasn't changed even after the update.

I think that plant combos will only make more underrated corckpot dishes more know, for example, best combo for dragonfruits are tomatoes, whch can be used on vegetable stingers, which are winonas favourite meal and give 33 sanity

Also, the "plant everywhere" part has been nerfed, since now you have to tend to the crops for them to grow at a pre-update rate (not confirmed, im just guessing) and now they could spawn flies that could make the zone around that crop turn dangerous (also not confirmed, i dont knwo if  wild crops spawn flies, but im guessing they do)

Still think its a bit of a nerf. His whole "plant anywhere" mechanic is overshadowed by the fact that planting in a farm plot with specific combos is more beneficial, and a whole lot easier to do than using previous farms.

In other words, planting anywhere was not much different than planting together before the update. Now there is a difference between the two, and wormwood's perk is on the short end of that stick.

21 minutes ago, Wardin25 said:

I think that plant combos will only make more underrated corckpot dishes more know, for example, best combo for dragonfruits are tomatoes, whch can be used on vegetable stingers, which are winonas favourite meal and give 33 sanity

Also, the "plant everywhere" part has been nerfed, since now you have to tend to the crops for them to grow at a pre-update rate (not confirmed, im just guessing) and now they could spawn flies that could make the zone around that crop turn dangerous (also not confirmed, i dont knwo if  wild crops spawn flies, but im guessing they do)

Pre-update rate was 1.5 crops per plant, and now we have higher return rate, which is guaranteed 2.0. And as you said, yes, the crops can spawn lord of the fruit flies, but the boss spawns whether the crops are Wormwood's or not. Plus the boss isn't hard to kill and even drops valueable item to help maintain your garden better.

14 minutes ago, Spirit Glow said:

Still think its a bit of a nerf. His whole "plant anywhere" mechanic is overshadowed by the fact that planting in a farm plot with specific combos is more beneficial, and a whole lot easier to do than using previous farms.

In other words, planting anywhere was not much different than planting together before the update. Now there is a difference between the two, and wormwood's perk is on the short end of that stick.

The ultimate goal of gardening in and out of the farm plot is almost the same : duplicate the crops. And Wormwood is way better than doing so in terms of accessibility and convenience of farming.

10 minutes ago, HeatAndRun said:

Pre-update rate was 1.5 crops per plant, and now we have higher return rate, which is guaranteed 2.0. And as you said, yes, the crops can spawn lord of the fruit flies, but the boss spawns whether the crops are Wormwood's or not. Plus the boss isn't hard to kill and even drops valueable item to help maintain your garden better.

The ultimate goal of gardening in and out of the farm plot is almost the same : duplicate the crops. And Wormwood is way better than doing so in terms of accessibility and convenience of farming.

even if you have guaranteed seed with wormwoods crops, its still extremely easy to get one with the normal plots (almost guaranteed as far as ive tested) and what i meant with the fruit thing, is that if you randomly plant a seed and later you go back with low health (something that is pretty comoon with worm) that zone will be dangerous if a LOTFF happens to spawn, or if fruit flies overwhelm you

2 minutes ago, Wardin25 said:

even if you have guaranteed seed with wormwoods crops, its still extremely easy to get one with the normal plots (almost guaranteed as far as ive tested) and what i meant with the fruit thing, is that if you randomly plant a seed and later you go back with low health (something that is pretty comoon with worm) that zone will be dangerous if a LOTFF happens to spawn, or if fruit flies overwhelm you

It became easier to get crops than before the update, but players should make garden rigamajigs which require significant amount of resources and till the tiles with a hoe. This could be seriously bothersome in the case you wanna mass-produce hundreds and thousands of crops if you're not Wormwood.

And the Lord of the fruit flies problem. The situation you said can happen same to any other characters, not only Wormwood.

12 minutes ago, HeatAndRun said:

It became easier to get crops than before the update, but players should make garden rigamajigs which require significant amount of resources and till the tiles with a hoe. This could be seriously bothersome in the case you wanna mass-produce hundreds and thousands of crops if you're not Wormwood.

And the Lord of the fruit flies problem. The situation you said can happen same to any other characters, not only Wormwood.

the garden rigamajig is worth 3 boards, 2 rope and 2 flint, thats extremely cheap for 36 plating spots, and its even cheaper if you compare it with the old farms, and the hoe is worth the same as any of the other tools, and i repeat, its more rewarding to aim for giant crops 

Also, i know it can happen to others, but it will happen in their base, were they have anything they may need for a fight, and in Wormwoods case it could happen anywhere he has planted something

25 minutes ago, HeatAndRun said:

1 Rigamajig costs 12 wood, 6 grass and 2 flint and makes space for 36 plants. 

If you wanted to grow 36 plants with Improved Farms you would need 288 grass, 216 poop, and 144 rocks

Given this comparison i dont see how u can say rigamajigs require "significant amount of resources" lol. Everyone now can mass plant as much as Wormwood with very very little material investment. Klei themselves acknowledged that the new farming system might have diluted Wormwood's unique perk. 

Wormwood's major advantage now is that he doesnt need to till. His wild crops are not unique in that they give a fruit and a seed without care, crops planted in a farmplot behave exactly the same way or require negligible care to produce results that outpace that of the wild crop. Wild planting only comes with downsides, with the only upside being you dont have to spend  a measly 12 wood 6 grass and 2 flint. There is no reason why (as a Wormwood main) i would ever choose to knee-cap myself by not planting in a farm plot when they're so cheap to make. (besides decor and for fun :D)

Edit: btw, i absolutely love the new farming and i think its great that its cheaper for everyone. Theres just no way of denying that Wormwoods unique perk is now practically shared by the entire cast. Klei has acknowledged this and is working on a solution though! :apple:

35 minutes ago, Ohan said:

1 Rigamajig costs 12 wood, 6 grass and 2 flint and makes space for 36 plants. 

If you wanted to grow 36 plants with Improved Farms you would need 288 grass, 216 poop, and 144 rocks

Given this comparison i dont see how u can say rigamajigs require "significant amount of resources" lol. Everyone now can mass plant as much as Wormwood with very very little material investment. Klei themselves acknowledged that the new farming system might have diluted Wormwood's unique perk. 

Wormwood's major advantage now is that he doesnt need to till. His wild crops are not unique in that they give a fruit and a seed without care, crops planted in a farmplot behave exactly the same way or require negligible care to produce results that outpace that of the wild crop. Wild planting only comes with downsides, with the only upside being you dont have to spend  a measly 12 wood 6 grass and 2 flint. There is no reason why (as a Wormwood main) i would ever choose to knee-cap myself by not planting in a farm plot when they're so cheap to make. (besides decor and for fun :D)

Edit: btw, i absolutely love the new farming and i think its great that its cheaper for everyone. Theres just no way of denying that Wormwoods unique perk is now practically shared by the entire cast. Klei has acknowledged this and is working on a solution though! :apple:

Okay, so there was a little confusion with my comments.. Of course rigamajig costs way cheaper than previous farm plots, the farm plots cost "Overwhelmingly Insane" amounts of resources(which makes Wormwood almost essential to mass-produce crops early or mid-games).. Heheh.. But that doesn't means rigamajig is absolutely free to acquire. Players still need some logs and grass if they wanna mass-produce like Wormwood.

For the rest of all your comments, I totally agree with you. The new farming system is very interesting, fun to play and totally revalue previously underrated crops. Most of all, the giant variation of crops are super satisfying to yield. But seems people was too absorbed in the opinion "Wormwood is now trash!", so I just wanna say Wormwood is still decent about his previous role. Though his role is overshadowed by newly introduce farming system, I think the same that Wormwood needs some other unique perks, since every other characters now can farm almost the same like him.

5 hours ago, HeatAndRun said:

Though his role is overshadowed by newly introduce farming system, I think the same that Wormwood needs some other unique perks, since every other characters now can farm almost the same like him.

Pretty much what a lot of people are in agreement with. Its a long way from claiming that wormwood was "actually buffed" lol

16 hours ago, Kay Rae said:

Instead of nerfing farms before launch they are buffing wormy. How great is that? 

Why would they spend a bunch of time making an entirely new farming system then nerfing it into uselessness so nobody ever touches it?

Wormwood was and still is dead by that changes in Beta. Congrats Klei, you killed a character that I buy with 3 sets of skins, just for a Stardew Valley cosplay. Please make Wormwood playable again! That's no ONE reason to choose him over Vanilla Wilson, for example. Wormwood needs a HUGE buff to even be considering in the future. Now he is just another Wes.

Archived