Swamp biome looks... messy?

Alright, so an admittedly small gripe here. 

When I first started my game, I spawned in the swamp biome, and once my initial excitement wore off, looking at the environment it just looked like too much to me. Dont get me wrong, I love all the creatures, blocks, and plants, but I feel like the swamp world generation is just too all over the place. So many colors and textures all over the screen made my head spin a little. Maybe consolidate blocks into larger pockets, rather than strewn all about?

I also feel like the swamp shouldn't be a starting biome- there just so much polluted water and polluted oxygen, it just made early game frustrating. 

5 hours ago, mr peeps said:

I also feel like the swamp shouldn't be a starting biome- there just so much polluted water and polluted oxygen, it just made early game frustrating. 

Not to be rude but I think that's the point, once all the worlds are hooked in I think this is supposed to be a new hard starting biome. The messy look kind of reflects the harder nature of it.

7 hours ago, Squeegee said:

Not to be rude but I think that's the point, once all the worlds are hooked in I think this is supposed to be a new hard starting biome. The messy look kind of reflects the harder nature of it.

Im not sure... you can make a hard-looking biome without it looking hard on the eyes. 

I wouldn't say swamp is hard.

Power is not a problem because of slugs. You just need to build few batteries, some wire and you are set for many many cycles.

Oxygen is not a problem - everything produces pO2. If that is not enough, put sublimation station, some deodoants and stop worrying.

The biggest problem might be food, but IMO there is plenty to thrive. If not - run away to another asteroid using teleports and eat food from there. Easy.

Hard? Not. Messy? Maybe, but I like this swampy feel to swamp. I wouldn't change it. Of course, I assume that after release we will be able to start at different asteroids with different starting biomes, so don't worry :) If you won't like it - you will have other ones. 

15 hours ago, pether said:

I wouldn't say swamp is hard.

Power is not a problem because of slugs. You just need to build few batteries, some wire and you are set for many many cycles.

Oxygen is not a problem - everything produces pO2. If that is not enough, put sublimation station, some deodoants and stop worrying.

The biggest problem might be food, but IMO there is plenty to thrive. If not - run away to another asteroid using teleports and eat food from there. Easy.

Hard? Not. Messy? Maybe, but I like this swampy feel to swamp. I wouldn't change it. Of course, I assume that after release we will be able to start at different asteroids with different starting biomes, so don't worry :) If you won't like it - you will have other ones. 

Fair enough, I just feel like it visually doesnt look good in my opinion, just a lot of different colors all together. But, it seems im in the minority here so ill concede or whatever

I must say that I agree with Mr. Peeps somewhat. All the bubbling and new tiles are nice in a way, but they also confused me, visually.

It took me a while to figure out where the polluted water is coming from for instance (of course - it's because some tiles sublimate, and others move down when unsupported, so "randomly" digging causes a lot of puddles to spill into the base).

Mud looks as if it's close to melting - so that was my first suspicion of the polluted water source; my second guess was the polluted dirt, as in "is it really only giving off water" even though I knew it never generated anything but PO2 in the base game.

So yeah, it does look "messy", which definitely sells the swamp vibes, but the multitude of effects ("flowing texture" mud and bubbling polluted dirt) are a bit too vibrant at times.

And sure, by simply not digging into polluted dirt, the bubbling can be minimized, so it is kinda my fault, but I still feel like the effects are a bit too "vibrant".

Archived