Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Maxil20

Crab king should drop anenemys upon defeat

Pretty simple suggestion: in addition to crab king dropping its normal loot, it would also drop 1-2 anenemies, much like how some mobs/bosses drop key resources (like BQ giving 1-2 honeycomb).

Considering anenemys are extremely useful, I do think it would be nice to have a slow but consistent source of obtaining them. You wouldn’t have to worry about being stuck with the ones you have on worldgen, which can be very limited and can be lost in a number of ways. I also feel like it makes logical sense, with crab king having the equivalent of a small island on his head.

Reason I suggest Sunken Chests is that they require a significant time investment that justifies giving out anenemies semi-reliably.

Ocean Debris, on the other hand, pop up anywhere, anytime and do not need any specialized structures or quests completed to grab and harvest. Which would mean that anenemies would have to have a very low drop rate to balance the low effort needed to obtain them. (Consider that, currently, Ocean Debris are almost guaranteed to give a combination of cut grass, twigs or kelp fronds, with only a 0.1% chance of dropping anything more valuable.)

And, well, I don't want Crab King to drop Anenemies (well, not as the only source anyway), because I just wasted 6 dark swords and half a thulecite club killing that royal pain the butt and I sure as heck don't wanna have to do it repeatedly... I'm fine. I'm cool. I'm fine.

Just now, QuartzBeam said:

Reason I suggest Sunken Chests is that they require a significant time investment that justifies giving out anenemies semi-reliably.

Ocean Debris, on the other hand, pop up anywhere, anytime and do not need any specialized structures or quests completed to grab and harvest. Which would mean that anenemies would have to have a very low drop rate to balance the low effort needed to obtain them. (Consider that, currently, Ocean Debris are almost guaranteed to give a combination of cut grass, twigs or kelp fronds, with only a 0.1% chance of dropping anything more valuable.)

And, well, I don't want Crab King to drop Anenemies (well, not as the only source anyway), because I just wasted 6 dark swords and half a thulecite club killing that royal pain the butt and I sure as heck don't wanna have to do it repeatedly... I'm fine. I'm cool. I'm fine.

I agree chests definitely need better loot

they should also need to be opened with deer antlers to compensate

Just now, Well-met said:

I agree chests definitely need better loot

they should also need to be opened with deer antlers to compensate

If I may go on a bit of tangent... Why is it that everytime people think a reward is not worth the effort, they suggest doubling both the effort and the reward? How does that fix the imbalance between the two?

I mean, right now, you need to set up a long-term boat, find Pearl's Island, buy and build the Winch, then sail around aimlessly till you find another bottle, open the bottle to discover its just a Pearl message, sail around aimlessly some more, find another bottle, guess what? it's non a treasure either, and so on and so forth until you find an actual treasure, then sail to the other end of the Constant to get the treasure, rinse and repeat.

How in the world would it be a good idea to limit the player to opening 5-6 sunken chests per year on top of all that tediousness? Unless one of those chests contains 9 eye turrets or something. And even then...

6 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

If I may go on a bit of tangent... Why is it that everytime people think a reward is not worth the effort, they suggest doubling both the effort and the reward? How does that fix the imbalance between the two?

I mean, right now, you need to set up a long-term boat, find Pearl's Island, buy and build the Winch, then sail around aimlessly till you find another bottle, open the bottle to discover its just a Pearl message, sail around aimlessly some more, find another bottle, guess what? it's non a treasure either, and so on and so forth until you find an actual treasure, then sail to the other end of the Constant to get the treasure, rinse and repeat.

How in the world would it be a good idea to limit the player to opening 5-6 sunken chests per year on top of all that tediousness? Unless one of those chests contains 9 eye turrets or something. And even then...

because antlers have no use outside of the bag and you can only expend one a year

i dont know about you but i always have chests filled with antlers with no purpose

its not about making it "harder" its about fixing multiple problems in one go

21 minutes ago, Well-met said:

because antlers have no use outside of the bag and you can only expend one a year

i dont know about you but i always have chests filled with antlers with no purpose

its not about making it "harder" its about fixing multiple problems in one go

if that means that i will keep the chest then im in

28 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

because is worthless to hunt chest, is something that you find in your way to another spot (which right now doesnt exist) but the loot is okay for that

9 hours ago, QuartzBeam said:

I'd rather Anenemies (and Lunar Saplings) were added to the Sunken Chest loot table.

I could say this could be a source, but not the source. I don’t like it for a few reasons:

1. It’s completely RNG if you get anenemys at that point. Considering each bottle has a 33% chance of spawning a chest, you can get extremely unlucky with the spawns. You would then have to get the correct drop table which contains ananemies in order for you to get them  (which I will simply state as 20% of the time). Even if you can find a bottle every 4 minutes, on average it will take 15 bottles, or one hour, of constant sailing in order to get them.

2. The thing with crab king is its spawn location is consistent, so even if the fight is tedious you can reliably pin the location down for easy access. With sunken chests, it’s possible for the chest to appear at the exact opposite of the world, in addition to the fact it can spawn in an unfavorable location (such as sea weeds/salt biomes, for instance).

It could definitely be an interesting alternative if you don’t like fighting crab king or enjoy fishing a lot, but as the only source it would not exactly be the funnest thing in the world to do.

2 hours ago, Well-met said:

This is a bit off topic, but the klaus sack can actually take as many deer antlers as you want after Klaus is dead, with each one giving a bone shard. It’s not the most efficient thing, but if you have an extreme excess of antlers it is something you can do with them.