Do you have any idea why Woby runs away from the player when getting off?

When I wanna pick something on the ground and store it in Woby, he runs away from me when I get off.

When I get off next to a sculpture to transfer, he runs away.

Every single time when I get off Woby, he runs away from me to make riding him or storing something into him harder. It's kinda uncomfortable.

This keeps happening since Walter's release. Any idea why this happens?

I reported this as a bug back in the day and people told me this is probably to make her behavior different than the beefalos, who run towards you. And since Woby follows you around, her standing in the way would be problematic.

Even if that was the reason it's still super annoying. I'd rather woby not to run at all, away from you or towards you, when you dismount (you can park her anywhere, anyway) Sometimes she even keeps running away when you catch her, over and over.

Being scared of enemies and fights is part of the lore of the character and sort of her personal "con", so when she escapes from that is entirely reasonable though.

1 hour ago, HeatAndRun said:

Bla bla bla. Any idea why this happens?

1 hour ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I reported this as a bug back in the day and people told me this is probably to make her behavior different than the beefalos, who run towards you. Yada yada yada.

Well, actually, beefalo do run away from you when you dismount, however, they are slow and suck at it.

This happens because somewhere in Woby's brain (Specifically, row 9 of wobybigbrain.lua) there is a target distance that Woby desires to stand away from the player while following them. ...Which is always. When you dismount Woby, they will immediately try to run to that ideal distance away from you. Again, beefalo do the exact same thing when you dismount them, however, because they're so slow, it's not much of an issue. Woby however took their daily hedgehog lessons and just beats it at mach 5 when you dismount.

I made a quick mod if this Woby behavior bothers you that much. I just set the ideal distance for them to follow to be smaller... Which kind of makes everything else a bit claustrophobic at times, so I also just made it so they back off if they're TOO close to you while following after you, so as to not impede base building that much.

When I say quick, I mean really, really quick. "I changed a few numbers and made a picture in photoshop" quick. Shouldn't melt your game, but it might. I honestly have very little idea of what I'm doing when it comes to this.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2279833497
If you want any adjustments, DM me either here, Steam, or Discord

If this behavior doesn't, however, bother you that much, or, say, you're on console...

Eh.

32 minutes ago, Auth said:

snip

You explain why this happens.. So you say Woby is trying to do social distancing at "Hedgehog" speed. That's hilarious.

And the modding! I didn't expect that much. Sadly I usually play on public servers so I can't benefit from the mod very well. :ambivalence: Anyway thank you for your voluntary attempt to fix the problem!

When I played as Walter, i found it to be even worse.
I would get off of woby to put something in them, and they would run away... So I would run to them to put said item in and they WOULD RUN AWAY AGAIN!!

It was so annoying and even killed me once as I had my torch inside woby (big mistake) and SHE KEPT RUNNING AWAY and I couldn't find her again in the pitch black and died because of it.

45 minutes ago, DarkPulse91 said:

When I played as Walter, i found it to be even worse.
I would get off of woby to put something in them, and they would run away... So I would run to them to put said item in and they WOULD RUN AWAY AGAIN!!

It was so annoying and even killed me once as I had my torch inside woby (big mistake) and SHE KEPT RUNNING AWAY and I couldn't find her again in the pitch black and died because of it.

Now you know exactly how Wendy mains felt trying to actually HEAL Abigail prior to her amazing rework.

But also Woby is a Non-Combat Beefalo, she runs away at the sight of Danger, it’s her intended design to run away from anything that could potentially cause her Harm (to prevent the Walter player using Woby as a Free combat mount.)

Now IF Your Woby is still running Away and your not Actively engaged in Combat with something or there is not something that is Hazardous to Woby Nearby (such as Swamp Tentacle) then this is probably a Bug that should be reported in the Klei bug tracker for them to fix.

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

But also Woby is a Non-Combat Beefalo, she runs away at the sight of Danger, it’s her intended design to run away from anything that could potentially cause her Harm (to prevent the Walter player using Woby as a Free combat mount.)

Now IF Your Woby is still running Away and your not Actively engaged in Combat with something or there is not something that is Hazardous to Woby Nearby (such as Swamp Tentacle) then this is probably a Bug that should be reported in the Klei bug tracker for them to fix.

It happened every single time for me no matter what the situation was. Sitting in the base, farming recourses, just normal adventuring. No matter what, whenever I tried to access woby after getting off of them, they would run away multiple times.

Archived