Repeatable, semi-compact, rocket silo automation

Just wanted to share some automation, it takes several inputs to automatically launch any rocket, allows landing during meteor showers, but does not allow launching during meteor showers. It uses an automated notifier when the bunker doors have been triggered to open, which makes it easier to see when a rocket is launching or returning. The ribbon cable is just carrying 4 space scanner signals and can be done without it. I am using long bridges mod, but it can easily be done without them by making the build 1 tile taller. You can disable launches for a silo by flicking the switch. Bunker doors still open for returning rockets with the switch disabled.

It also staggers extending and retracting gantries to allow the whole system to run on a single conductive wire without overloading, and it looks neat too.

So first, you have the AND gate which receives input from the switch and the launch checklist complete signal. If both signals are green, this will trigger the OR gate which opens the bunker doors, this OR gate also receives an input from a space scanner, detecting the return of the rocket. Either signal will open the bunker doors. Then that OR gate's signal goes to another AND gate which requires the NOT signal from your meteor scanners and the input from the bunker door OR gate. If both are green, it starts a 45 second counter while the doors open.

I know the filter gate to trigger launch isn't entirely necessary, but it does prevent edge cases that a launch happens while gantries are still retracting/extending after a signal flips.

Signal from the space scanners are filtered for 15 seconds to reduce the amount of time meteors can sneak in after the rocket is detected, but not exactly on the 22 seconds needed for 2 meteor scanners, giving some room for error. (67s for network quality, minus 45s to open doors, 22 seconds filter at the bare minimum for bunker doors to open before the rocket arrives)

By the way, all of the wires within ~6 or so tiles of the rocket should be made of steel, or another high temperature refined metal. Petroleum and hydrogen rockets will melt them frequently on weaker metals

With some more ribbons, I'm sure this could be shrunk down further.

20201103001915_1.thumb.jpg.5360a4c362bbe5d0a4167b507e2747af.jpg20201102234239_1.thumb.jpg.de5b75bc8dec76c489d72171d54b0a11.jpg20201102235026_1.thumb.jpg.667b7b48f5e70a0bce3264a14c08e004.jpg

Hey, this looks very similar to my own automation - the main difference I see is simply the order of the logic gates, and the fact that I'm using the wireless automation mod to avoid running a single cable from one side of the map (where my scanners are) to the other (where my rockets are).

Here's mine: https://imgur.com/a/u3nbidq

And since ours is so similar, I can only say excellent work! ;D

Great stuff guys :)

Here my "brutalistic" version...

I used to utilize the robo miners and meteor watch stuff...I figured out a play style which I like better. I let the piled up regolith drop through the bunker doors...In to a rocket-silo-steam-room. So I don`t care anymore if there is a meteor storm or not. The regolith gives extra heat to the steam room and the rego can be burnt away by rockets starting or with steel robo miners in the steam room ( no more fuzz with overheating robo miners ). The rockets are deep down in the map, so a meteor doesn`t do much damage if the doors are open for a minute, damage gets auto repaired by dupes. Meteors coming in to a deep rocket silo happens so rare...It only needs clever bunker tile building and a meteor cant do damage to a deep silo, its too deep in anyways.

My rockets start without using a gantry  - Funny enough they auto launch in my setup without extended gantry. Seems to be a quirk with the game and my setup.

Ive got a hydro sensor in water ( set to 1 kg pressure ), above the rockets ( the rockets are standing in a steam room rocket silo ). The rocket output automatically opens the bunker doors as its completing the checklist check, all the water above and top map regolith then drops down...Then the rocket checklist is complete ( path clear ) and the rocket lifts off. My rockets don`t care in which position the gantry is, they complete the checklist with detached gantry, start and liftoff automatically.

Its nearly too simple to be true :black_eyed:

image.thumb.png.f9250695525887343f512a0256cad97c.png

Preparation/fueling and rockets starting is fully automatic, once its auto fueled it will start like this ( notice the gantry position, this is how it will liftoff ). So to set up auto landing I still need to wire the gantry retracting and then instantly pulling it back in.

Somehow its possible to lock a dupe in to the capsule and he seems to be fine in there, with the gantry popping in and out for a second. Still don`t really know how I manage to do that or what is really going on, but after lots of flights it somehow stays permanent.

image.thumb.png.848e9853e5a37a26fb8ae55a7b3dfa22.png

Landing ( still is manual, shame on me ):

I still need to hookup the rocket lines to some radar dishes for the landings, haven`t done that yet + currently after touch down landing I need to extend and dock all gantries for 1 second by pressing a switch manually and then directly pressing the switch again to detach all gantries.

In my future building proposal plan half of the top map will open bunker doors, all regolith dropping in to a massive steam room full of rockets. I`m so glad I don`t use the robo miners at the top in space anymore, it was such a fuzz. I`ll replace the solar panels with rockets, the panels now take too much space for too little power output ( solar = 4.5K power currently ) in my survival game.

image.png.909d91728f72fa620465e094aff0f324.png

2 rocket bays stacked

image.thumb.png.bb9d131fe62987b120cd7692bf17198c.png

To be scrapped from my map. Will only keep 1 dish per 1 rocket...and build more rockets :afro: Only the dishes will remain - For the rocket landings.

image.thumb.png.18c5f3816bfaac24d93dbaec47beb68e.png

image.thumb.png.a2b759fa13d754f0f4f73d2beaef6f01.pngimage.thumb.png.b1ed592b02a13d4107a252cb6bdfe045.pngimage.thumb.png.59788470fe2f481dc63700c3885c264f.png

Building the rocket fuel network in survival mode took ages, as pipes are going to everywhere.

Steam rooms are great, just let all the regolith drop in ! Adds some extra heat :anonymous: Either burn it away with rocket thrusters or put pesky robo miners below the engines. I have waterfalls coming down at launch and at landings, no overheat issues at all + Cape Canaveral feeling :angel:

image.thumb.png.046b0e75854c01cda12f52d9c43916ff.pngimage.png.d05f7c585d2e23fcb2fe3318bccc0c34.pngimage.thumb.png.55d284e9ea279fbd31223939e6f6df8a.png

Currently I`m fuming a hell a lot of steam in to space when bunker doors open, will build a monster cooling solution for the top so that all the water runs back in to the base. Probably needs 10K of power, something like that. I tried pumping steam around with 20 big air suction pumps, that was not so effective...

3 hours ago, ExEvolution said:

I see you're doing 1.7 seconds for your gantry automation, is that the lowest amount of time to extend without overloading?

That's what the wiki says, at least.  I could have just used a single conductive wire rather than heavy-watt, but then I could only launch a single rocket at a time, since launching both at once would mean adjacent gantries extending/retracting at the same time, drawing 2400W of power. Could have solved that by making the automation more complex, but it was easier to just use heavy-watt.

3 hours ago, babba said:

Great stuff guys :)

Here my "brutalistic" version...

Wow, that is quite the crowded map!  I tried the "rocket in a steam room" thing, but by the point I was building this silo setup, I'd already set things up on my map in such a way that it just caused more problems than it solved.  The main barrier was the fact that I'd set up a horizontal "power spine" just at the point where there were exposed space tiles in the background - greatly simplifies the problem of cooling transformers in space (since they're not in space) but makes it so I could only go so far down without breaking the spine, as it were.  You can see the horizontal spine running from one side of the map to the other just below the space base.  I could shift the rockets down by maybe 15 tiles before they started messing with other things, but that's it.  I'll probably try the rocket chimney idea in the future on another asteroid.

jFF0mGb.jpg

@thegroundbelow

I love your clever arrangement of solar panels, that`s an interesting space saving idea ! Thanks for the inspiration of the radar dish arrangements, maybe I will use that - Its great.

Haha, the dupe drawings in your base are super cute :lol:

Yeah, in survival everything takes 100 years...So moving and rebuilding rockets is hell !!!

If you someday want to give it a try, you could build a rocket silo on the middle map height. I find that it leaves good space for collected water underneath the rocket(s)...If I would build far down, my stuff would drown. I can also recommend building thousands of temp shift plates from mafic rock, they take on all rocket heat and even out temps + avoid melted wires from rocket thrusters. If water is coming down as the rocket moves, the falling down water cools everything and also turns to steam :idea:

Currently I`m building a rocket thruster deflector shield, it shall collect the launch water+regolith and the thruster shall make it to steam. Still building it.

As far as regolith digging goes, I want to try the mechanized airlock method that digs the regolith by closing doors, then moves everything to one side using door pushers. Looks very fast and efficient. Robo-miners are easy-ish to set up though, and the same steam turbine that cools the robo miners also cools the mined regolith before sending it down to the base. I definitely could have made the steam chamber longer though, kinda did a bare minimum which gives a throughput of something like 1500kg per 60 seconds or something.

I have a rocket silo on the right hand side of my map that goes all the way down to just above the oil biome, but I was dumb and filled it with carbon dioxide that is now at around 900c and I don't have thermium yet to pump it out. I replaced the petroleum rockets with hydrogen rockets but since co2 is heavier than steam, it just sinks.

I'm also building a tower of steam turbines which currently saps heat from that silo through bunker tiles. Just waiting for that thermium shipment. I could also just start door crushing, but I want to feed it to my slicksters

Haha, thank you. Too much electronics for me, but cool ! Would be nice if we had an regolith bulldozer as alternative, I love industry and heavy machinery. All this door stuff in ONi was never my cup of regolith. :lol:

1 hour ago, babba said:

@thegroundbelow

I love your clever arrangement of solar panels, that`s an interesting space saving idea ! Thanks for the inspiration of the radar dish arrangements, maybe I will use that - Its great.

Haha, the dupe drawings in your base are super cute :lol:

Yeah, in survival everything takes 100 years...So moving and rebuilding rockets is hell !!!

If you someday want to give it a try, you could build a rocket silo on the middle map height. I find that it leaves good space for collected water underneath the rocket(s)...If I would build far down, my stuff would drown. I can also recommend building thousands of temp shift plates from mafic rock, they take on all rocket heat and even out temps + avoid melted wires from rocket thrusters. If water is coming down as the rocket moves, the falling down water cools everything and also turns to steam :idea:

Re: solar panels - thanks, but I can't claim that as my idea. I took that from a reddit post - apparently solar panels will collect more than 380W of power, but they won't *output* more than 380W, so that slightly-overlapping arrangement is designed to allow each panel to collect almost exactly 380W worth of sunlight.  I've got a couple in the middle that are overlapping one tile too much... had to push them out to make room for my vertical wind tunnel.

When I tried the steam thing I actually had used mafic to line the rocket silos, but I was using regular drywall rather than tempshift plates, and they kept melting.  I wasn't adding any additional water, though, it was just straight hydrogen rocket exhaust.  That's a good tip, and I'll keep it in mind for the future.

12 hours ago, thegroundbelow said:

Re: solar panels - thanks, but I can't claim that as my idea. I took that from a reddit post - apparently solar panels will collect more than 380W of power, but they won't *output* more than 380W, so that slightly-overlapping arrangement is designed to allow each panel to collect almost exactly 380W worth of sunlight.  I've got a couple in the middle that are overlapping one tile too much... had to push them out to make room for my vertical wind tunnel.

When I tried the steam thing I actually had used mafic to line the rocket silos, but I was using regular drywall rather than tempshift plates, and they kept melting.  I wasn't adding any additional water, though, it was just straight hydrogen rocket exhaust.  That's a good tip, and I'll keep it in mind for the future.

The evolution of humans has often depended on the achievements and ideas of others - If somebody copies something it must have been good and had some kind of value or validation to mankind :afro:

It`s the refinements and further fine tuning of other peoples ideas which makes ONi shine.

I like the ONi community a lot, it`s so much more healthy than in CoD Warzone :black_eyed:

The dropping of fluids, creating cooling waterfalls, is a method I greatly enjoy in this game. I try to keep my ONI built stuff Indian Jones/Michael Bay/Factorio-Heavy-Industry like ... Action ! Can`t wait till the DLC is out and playable :x

image.thumb.png.40715a450c9c8d6996c05cd6835df859.png

Working on my rocket blast heat deflection chamber , steam spreader and waterfall rocket cooling channel and improving steam engine efficiency + Created a 2nd 50kW power load circuit in the base

image.thumb.png.f0ccf2a62244db96aa0ab90d16821324.pngimage.thumb.png.2fb24abf34cdace65aa8c12a3143c639.pngimage.thumb.png.c3ffabfcd55dc6e4cc0541c2ab300f1c.pngimage.thumb.png.a3bd462fd9fe8cb7b0db31757299c438.pngimage.png.10e55663d31f32e2e4a96d23ac2579ca.png

image.thumb.png.f208ded8e0c64797a86ec5a9a22e247b.png

Oh man, i still havent finished mine. But if you like overkill automation with aesthetics, then this is my rocket silo. Acctually ill scrap it all from there and put it in the area to the left,.1563964913_rockets1.thumb.png.79cf46bdeb27f23207b1dca0a940d280.png

1945658396_rockets1.thumb.png.d643e45fac881f29ff20f7eaaa10ae11.png

The idea is that when a rocket lands or takes of, im gonna collect it's steam, suck all the energy from it and cool it down to condense in to water, in the area where all this steam is. This will create a vaccum which will gather as much steam as possible from the next launch/landing. (to be done, implement a space scanner)

When the rocket lands, i will give the dupe the rest of the day off, while refueling the rocket etc.and allow entry to the rocket the next day which will be the maximum priority. When refueling is done, the excess H2/O2 are stored in those reserviors and their usage takes presedence before starting the pumps. When the rocket is ready to launch, the ok will be given by the sweepy pressing the pressure plate, so that he doest randomly get trapped in those airlocks above the steam collection tank. I still debate whether i should scrap the bunker doors, because thie may let random CO2 fall into the steam area, but pretty much, nothing can be damaged by meteors even when the doors are open.

Bonus points if you guess what im planning to do there ^^

821240440_rockets1.thumb.png.2df1d507343cfd64d7a23b36ecda4810.png

Awesome :x My brain reset looking at the circuit screenshot :mrgreen:

image.thumb.png.763067b09c7a221fd14fd1c06980968b.png

Your dupe pressure plate gives me inspiration - Will use that for some bunker door(s) in the future. I also like how the transit tubes directly terminate in to exosuit docks.

Rocket thrusters: Shame we can not use only the thruster module for heating up stuff ! :anonymous: Would be great if we could accelerate the thruster module to smash up things in the map...Like launching a thruster sideways, flying in to a pile of dupes :black_eyed: I love this game, its so much fun !

image.thumb.png.7e4cec5fda7bcfb1d7e287a33963b7ab.pngimage.png.ec946f89abda7f2715966f7355019483.png

I have completed my simplistic launch automation. It works well, the astronaut can go for a picnic and no rocket stuff gets broken. The hydro sensor (1kg) triggers the command capsule input, as the water drops down from above. Once the rocket has completed its checklist it all goes automatic, its nice :D The bunker doors close once the rocket has left the map.

My setup ignores meteor storms, as I let the regolith drop in to my steam-room-rocket-silo.

image.thumb.png.cd22a4ad980d248a3a776d49bb077326.png

> Added a not-gate from the bunker doors, which I hooked up to the gantry(s)

> Added a filter gate for delayed start between bunker doors and command capsule input

I still need to do the landing automation, hooking up radar dishes to the bunker doors/rockets and making sure the gantry(s) are not extended on approach :afro:

16 hours ago, occamrazor said:

What's this building do?

what.png.2a688f93dab4fec0aecf8aa66800e7ca.png

That's my water processing plant.  It sorts incoming water into two lines - pwater and clean water (anything else goes into the reservoir at bottom-right), sends them both through a chlorine room (one set of three reservoirs for each type), then it sends the clean water to the "to be cooled" storage at bottom left, and the pwater goes through sieves and then to the "to be cooled" storage.  That clean and de-germed water is then sent to the reservoir above, and once it's 80% full the door under the reservoir closes and the shut-off stops allowing new water in. When the door closes, that allows the reservoir to output again, and any water over 20C is sent through the aquatuners to be cooled down, while water under 19C is sent back into the reservoir, where its temp is evened out by averaging it with the temp of all the rest of the water in the reservoir.  Water that's between 19 and 20C is sent to the bottom-right storage, where the final output is.

I think it's much better to just connect the rocket input signal to the output and never touch them again once they're setup. Rockets automatically crush the regolith at the bottom for you. No reason really to even have doors at the top of a rocket silo unless you plan on collecting the steam. 

9 hours ago, Niko_ said:

I think it's much better to just connect the rocket input signal to the output and never touch them again once they're setup. Rockets automatically crush the regolith at the bottom for you. No reason really to even have doors at the top of a rocket silo unless you plan on collecting the steam. 

Without bunker doors:

> My steam from the steam room wanders of to space. The steam in my rocket-steam-room powers lots of steam generators.

However, I could imagine that there could be user ideas/builds with door pumps, vacuum, gas injections and I don`t know what solutions to prevent 20-500kg tile steam to escape to the top of a map from a high pressure steam room. Any ideas are welcome, please with screenshots so that we understand it :p Thank you.

Originally I wanted to to build massive cooling at the top of the map to cool down the steam and have it run as water back in to the base. The problem I have is that the amount of steam per cell in my base has increased to so high numbers ( resulting in rapid sinking steam temperature ) that I had to reduce the steam production/water injection. Ive built more steam generators to consume steam, make more power for now and I will put more useful machinery in to the steam room to create more heat.

I guess with the upcoming DLC is would be perfect to put a reactor vessel in to my steam room to generate much more heat which then gets consumed by even more steam generators.

My 2nd steam room on the right side of the map is evolving, it has a dedicated 50 kW power line and is the air con of the base. This 2nd steam room I want to use for more advanced rockets - My petroleum rockets on the left side will remain, that`s working more and more automatic and long term balanced.

I`m on cycle 3500...So hopefully I have the advanced rockets going at cycle 4500 - 5000.

Give us reactors !

The carbon dioxide from NG generators and rocket engines form a gas curtain, which drops down on rocket launches. This helps blocking steam escape during the launch/landing minute as it drops through all the stages. The rare occasion happened that meteors dropped in at landing, it looked spectacular :D

image.thumb.png.dbf9d3e8b68bb8691fa558d9b92502ad.pngimage.thumb.png.d0a59488f65af8897dd4fb8d77bd9963.png

Changes on the various steam sections:

image.thumb.png.9ae4f09e937f2fce60aefc5c7c82b35b.png

So the rocket cooling waterfall launch fluid is in the below stage, whilst the top stage steam is heated by the aqua tuners and consumed by the 2 steam engines.

image.thumb.png.f341a75cccf7ca2d967b2d3c5a6e8e3e.png

Rocket approach, fluid & regolith dropping down

image.thumb.png.14030488051cdcce7353ddacc0affac2.png

5 hours ago, thegroundbelow said:

That's not really a feasible solution for those of us who enjoy functional gantries and unbroken ladders

unless you screw up your build somehow you never have to have gantries and ladders in your rocket silo. I don't think there's ever really a situation where you'd want to remove a or get the astronaut out of a cargo rocket and research rockets don't need big automation if you choose to automate doors for those. 

3 minutes ago, Niko_ said:

unless you screw up your build somehow you never have to have gantries and ladders in your rocket silo. I don't think there's ever really a situation where you'd want to remove a or get the astronaut out of a cargo rocket and research rockets don't need big automation if you choose to automate doors for those. 

It looks neat

On 11/5/2020 at 2:02 AM, Niko_ said:

I build lots of things I don't "need" to build, just because I like how they look.  And I let my astronauts out of my rockets fairly frequently.

Archived