So, Me and a friend brainstormed some ideas for a Crab King rebalance, since he is currently the most broken, unfun boss in the game.

This isn't really me actually suggesting this gets implemented, because I highly doubt that klei would even look at this post, much less implement it. (not to sound rude.)
Here are our ideas:

• Crab King now has a Pinch attack in between other attacks, swinging twice (by default) and dealing 75 base dmg.
  • Imposing claws do the same attack as the terrorclaws geysers spawn closer together, making it easier to dodge them.
  • Different gems effect crab king in both a positive and negative way:
  • Red: increases HP but makes him give off heat.
  • Blue: buffs freeze attack but makes him do things slower. (slower attack animation, slower casting time, slower heal animation, etc.)
  • Purple: makes him spawn more geysers and makes them spawn further apart but it makes glass cutters have more uses against him.
  • Yellow: makes him cast faster and attack more, but makes your boat faster.
  • Green: makes him heal more and makes the number of hits to cancel the heal more, but it makes your boat stronger.
  • Orange: increases the number of claws and makes him disarm you, but makes him do less damage.

Before you ask why we essentially switched the roles of Green and Orange, we thought that the healing would fit green much more, as he is rebuilding his shell, and before you say how orange relates to the numbers of claws, let me ask how it relates to him healing.)

I hope you enjoyed our ideas on this rebalance, feel free to discuss and ask questions, or even give your own ideas.

Fyi im the friend he’s referring too. but anyways i yah we had a long talk about a more fun crab boss fight. Crab king isn’t fun at all, the gems don’t really do much to add to him just buffs him, his freeze attack made him very annoying to fight. The geysers destroys your boat and you have no hope of dodging it. The claws are annoying bc you have to deal with them And they don’t do much other than break your boat. But the main problem is that he has no normal attack only attacking with his moves, this makes cheesing him with freezing very easy and makes him a push over

Pesronally i don't think the Crab King is that horrible of a boss. 

He does not have any direct attack yes, but any mistake you make you are dead. If he gets to freeze you, you sink. If you're too late on the ice staffs and he casts the geysers, you sink. I think he is unique in that sense, all other bosses give you plenty of room for error, maybe not Fuelweaver but still, mostly you can just back up and heal.

As far as his loot goes, i know you didn't touch on it but it's critiqued often, it's clearly unfinished, and after the beanstalk update it will be more useful.

On 10/29/2020 at 10:12 AM, BeeClops said:

As far as his loot goes, i know you didn't touch on it but it's critiqued often, it's clearly unfinished, and after the beanstalk update it will be more useful.

Oh, me personally, I have never in my life doubted the Celestial Tribute's usefulness. It was obvious to me that it was important. The Trident on the other hand, that thing is just stupid. Kill this annoying and unfun boss, then try to find this gnairwail, kill it, do that 2 more times, to get a weapon that can. Uhh. Well make geysers? They can damage mobs, sure but it is still unnecessary to make this weapon through that process.

2 hours ago, DaZoul said:

Oh, me personally, I have never in my life doubted the Celestial Tribute's usefulness. It was obvious to me that it was important. The Trident on the other hand, that thing is just stupid. Kill this annoying and unfun boss, then try to find this gnairwail, kill it, do that 2 more times, to get a weapon that can. Uhh. Well make geysers? They can damage mobs, sure but it is still unnecessary to make this weapon through that process.

Honestly I'm fine with the Strident Trident personally (Though getting the horns can be a pain, especially if you didnt spend a lot of time sailing before fighting crab king) I always felt itd be nice if he had another unique loot drop. Other than that I always felt people complained too much about the fight, I enjoy the fight and like working with others to dodge his geysers and fight off the claws and so on.

4 hours ago, Hornete said:

Honestly I'm fine with the Strident Trident personally (Though getting the horns can be a pain, especially if you didnt spend a lot of time sailing before fighting crab king) I always felt itd be nice if he had another unique loot drop. Other than that I always felt people complained too much about the fight, I enjoy the fight and like working with others to dodge his geysers and fight off the claws and so on.

personally im really happy for people who like crab king because while i am not the biggest fan of him its nice to know that the boss brings joy and fun for others 

crab king could be rebalanced and while i do agree with the whole gems giving crab king buffs and debuffs i kinda dont agree with the whole make crab king do damage to the player thing.the fight can be quite stressful at times with you having to attack the crab king so he doesnt heal and his claws doing damage to your boat and having to heal/mend your boat so it doesnt break so adding more stress in the form of crab king doing damage to the player it might not be the best but hey thats just my opinion others might think this is a great idea 

k bye (hope you all have a good day or night wherever you are in the world:wilson_smile:)

5 hours ago, Hornete said:

working with others

ah, there is where this all is coming from. You have friends. So do I, but we just cant find a time when both of us is available. With others, I am sure it would be fun, but soloing the Crowned Crustacean is a pain in the rear area

Archived