Steam Workshop Beta

rooks

• Developer

Hello, Grifters!

As we head into the next update, we'd like to invite those interested to help us test the modding facilities of Grifltands and gain early access to Steam Workshop.  If you'd like to participate, join the Steam community group here.  You'll be able to upload and view mods in Workshop and test the full pipeline as we continue to add support.

Whether you have access to Workshop or not, I will also be on hand to answer questions and respond to requests related to modding.

Together we'll be able to get modding in Griftlands to a solid start!

EDIT:  I'll be posting some preliminary guides in the upcoming days, but until then feel free to play around with things, and maybe install some of the other mods people have been working on in the meantime (there are some links around the forums I believe)

I already tried out the upload feature of the steam workshop.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2219176890

Here's the deal: I haven't found an update button to existing workshop items(source to workshop, not workshop to client), and as such, every time i tried to update the workshop item, it will be treated as if I created a new one. What that means is that the visibility is set to private, and any steam specific description gets overwritten(because steam's markup language is different from markdown, what github uses by default) by the description I put under the description field of my mod data.

• Developer
On 9/7/2020 at 8:35 AM, RageLeague said:

I already tried out the upload feature of the steam workshop.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2219176890

Here's the deal: I haven't found an update button to existing workshop items(source to workshop, not workshop to client), and as such, every time i tried to update the workshop item, it will be treated as if I created a new one. What that means is that the visibility is set to private, and any steam specific description gets overwritten(because steam's markup language is different from markdown, what github uses by default) by the description I put under the description field of my mod data.

So what's supposed to happen is that after the initial upload, the game creates a steam_workshop.txt file in the directory of your mod.  This file has the unique workshop ID of the item just created.

The next time you click the "Workshop" button in game, the menu item should read "Upload item XXXXXXXX to workshop", with the aformentioned unique workshop ID.  This would update the existing item in the workshop.

Is this file not getting created after your initial upload?  You can also try manually creating that file -- its only content should be the ID of your workshop item (one way to obtain this is from the game's log after subscribing to it, or using the "Share" button in steam and using the ID in the URL).

Currently, the workshop item's title and description will get overwritten with whatever you have in your modinit.lua each upload, but it sounds like maybe that should only happen the first time to avoid stomping any markup you might have entered manually through the workshop portal.

the file is correctly created when i upload my steam workshop item.

the problem is, whenever i upload my workshop item again, it is set to private, and i have to switch it to public manually each time.

(also, i tried to load my description with script, but since no alias is mounted at that time, i can't exactly do that. i guess i just have to copy paste it each time i update my README file.)

• Developer

I fixed the problem with workshop items being set to private each upload.

I also changed it so that only the first upload of the mod will initialize the title and description from the values in modinit.lua.  This way if you edit those things in Workshop to contain things like markup, your edits don't just get overwritten when you upload any changes to your mod.  The game's strings need to remain free of markup since the game will be displaying them directly.  I'm not totally sure this is the way to go, but I figure it's good for now to prevent work from being inadvertently overwritten. :p

Also, I added a mechanism to lookup the description from a file for you:

-- You can embed this mod's descriptive text directly...
    -- description = "Play as Shel and guide her to riches and discover the mysterious Lost Passage!",

-- or look it up in an external file.
    description_file = "LOSTPASSAGE:about.txt",

Of course this all happens only after we update the experimental tonight or tomorrow.

Archived