Is this intentional or am I just way overthinking things?

I was reading random trivia about mythical creatures and was reading about the Leviathan and it was....very interesting.

I don't rememkilber which specific interpretation it is, but basically God made Leviathan, a chaotic sea monster that could never be killed by mortals, and would then proceed to slay it as a showcase of power.   Leviathan would be given dominion of the seas, while two other creatures were made with equal power to it. Ziz, a dragon given dominion of the sky, and Behemoth, a giant given dominion of the Earth.

Some interpretations of this myth tell of TWO Leviathans, one male and one female. However the female Leviathan was not allowed into the sea, because mating between the two would lead to the birth of unkillable spawn that would destroy humanity, and God would end up having to kill this Leviathan.  After a long battle, God kills her and uses her remains to build a beautiful canopy, and under the canopy her flesh. It is said that after the rapture, humans will have a great feast consisting of the flesh of both Leviathans, and Behemoth.  The Leviathan of the sea is full of hate for God for killing the female Leviathan, and waits till the end of time to do battle with God for revenge. Leviathan is said to be the strongest of the main giants, as it is HIGHLY aggressive, while Ziz and Behemoth are neutral.

Don't these sound like the Don't Starve entities?

The Pugalisk, which Woodlegs calls a Leviathan in his exam quote, leaves it's entire corpse behind when it's killed. It's bones can be made into really useful soup. Most bosses drop pieces of themselves that can be used to make great things, and the Deerclops eye can be eaten.  But the Pugalisk is unique in that it drops a piece of itself that exists purely for the intention of being eaten, some versions of the myths say its flesh was given as food for people living in the Wilderness.

Ziz, the Sky dragon, is clearly the BFB. It's neutral towards the player. It's sometimes described as a griffin rather than a dragon, but it might just be Klei mixing various different aesthetics of multiple things like nearly every giant is(moose/goose, deerclops, etc).  It's often described as being able to completely block out the sun with it's wing span when flying.

Behemoth, the Earth giant, is Bigfoot. Again, it's neutral to the player. It can kill the player, but this is likely unintentional, it's only answering to the bell, a dinner bell perhaps. Also, while this might not work because of the brain at the end of the foot, it would make sense to assume that part of big foots design is missing every part of his flesh except his foot. He was  intended to be eaten after all.

The Quacken is the sea Leviathan, an interesting thing to note is that you never truly ''kill'' the Quacken. It runs away, only dropping a chest of treasures.  It's true that it also drops it's beak, but this was added long after Shipwrecked was released and basically considered done with so I think there's an argument to be made that either it can heal it's beak once it's knocked off, or it was just something they added in and didn't mind. Apparently some people believe that the Leviathan is inspired by a real life creature that was also the original inspiration for the Kraken. Also, Warbucks may have been removed from the game but he calls Quacken a Leviathan in his examination quote.

I've only really read TLDR's and basic descriptions of the mythology surrounding them, but it seems rather similar to what we see in DS right? Or am I just overthinking this?

Edited by cropo

1 minute ago, gaymime said:

i feel very uncomfortable with making ds/dst a religious game and bringing in a direct religious interpretation of things into the game feels a lot like doing just that.

It's not meant to make DS a religious game, they can make their art and reference certain things about something without it being religious. I mean the game already has huge hints about being a commentary on colonization, long before Warbucks was even introduced to the game so I don't see why having a few religious references here and there would be a problem.   

right now it is just a few religious references, the question you are begging would fix down the lore to have direct religious associations that could be directly interpreted as such

i mean, you are free to speculate but please try not to bring in talk that can become violent and toxic. religious topics often devolve into threats of direct person-to-person harm

3 minutes ago, gaymime said:

right now it is just a few religious references, the question you are begging would fix down the lore to have direct religious associations that could be directly interpreted as such

i mean, you are free to speculate but please try not to bring in talk that can become violent and toxic. religious topics often devolve into threats of direct person-to-person harm

I'm a bit confused at what you're saying here and I think you might be possibly taking this a little too personally....I don't know what question I'm begging other than wondering if I'm overthinking things about an observation to similarities in some random myth I read and creatures in a video game. 

I don't even get why you're so up in arms about this, nearly every game including this one draws references and inspiration from real life events, myths, and culture.  You just jumped in and started acting as if a fight is about to break out over this, but we're not like...debating religion or anything so I'm just a bit lost here?

• Like 3

If people are going to start fighting over this, that's their fault. Not the OP's fault. Theyve been respectful bringing those topics here.

Anyways, I really like your interpretation! I'm always a sucker for connecting real/mythical stories and events to DS/T. I hope to see more from you!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gaymime said:

i feel very uncomfortable with making ds/dst a religious game and bringing in a direct religious interpretation of things into the game feels a lot like doing just that.

I'm pretty sure the human shaped salt is a reference to Lot's wife being turned into salt.

• Like 1