Can someone explain Rook's story to me?

I'm genuinely confused by it. 

Who does he send stuff at the drop-point to?

What was it that they got at the end? The stuff altar was made of or that thing the bog boss had inside of itself. In the ending cutscene that thing lays broken on the ground, not to mention that Rook for some reason wears boggers' outfit (unless that's not him)

In the trailer he was shown twice as that guy that only works to benefit himself. He helps Barons get the Rise and then betrays them. However in-game it's more like 'Choose who do you want to help'.

Beggining cutscene says that he's doing freelance but the ending cutscene says '...and the cogs don't turn by themselves' implying that he's actually part of some secret overlords-like organization that controls the events in the Gridtlands.

Am I just too dumb for it or is his story going to be expanded upon as the game develops?

You could see the story as if it was purposefully left vague, to hint that there was a 'grander scheme' aside from the story we see.

Obviously Rook was working for someone else, and the Rise or the Spark Barons are just a stepping stone to the job given by Rook's secret employer. Whoever Rook's actually working with is not actually mentioned. The drop site where you fought the day 1 & 3 boss fights, seems to serve as how Rook delivers his collected intel to them.

At the start of day 3, the package delivered to Rook states "Candidate device... located". Which must be the device Rook took after the final boss fight. I don't think it's Rook in the first ending cutscene, probably just another Bogger mourning over the now broken, empty alter.

Anyway, Rook is working for someone, but we don't know who it/they are. Maybe one day it will be clear, for now we could only guess from what we were shown. Like the DST & ONI & Invisible Inc lore.

Assuming Rook works for one of the known factions, Admiralty seems the most likely one. But who knows. Some of Sal’s backstory got expanded on in Rook’s campaign, we might similarly get more info in Smith’s campaign.

On 7/11/2020 at 5:16 AM, minespatch said:

The bartender also seems to be working for whoever is working at the drop point.

I don't know, he strikes me as more of a middleman. The package arrives through him because he's already been established as a trustworthy character.

On 7/11/2020 at 3:51 AM, Szczuku said:

Beggining cutscene says that he's doing freelance but the ending cutscene says '...and the cogs don't turn by themselves' implying that he's actually part of some secret overlords-like organization that controls the events in the Gridtlands.

I just re watched the end cutscene, and Rook pockets the same thing we saw all the characters take in the cinematic trailer. He then puts it in the drop point right before he leaves.

Archived