Yet another idea for Wilson's rework

7 hours ago, Raeku said:

What on earth makes you think Wilson is a "terrible scientist?"

And how would you even define a "failed" scientist?

In Forbidden Knowledge, the first thing Wilson does is blow up something and he's visibly despondent about it. That is his character establishing moment. His failure as a scientist is why he was so willing to take Maxwell's offer for secret knowledge, which also mirrors Maxwell's predicament back when he was a failed magician and found the Codex. His perks have nothing to do with actual science, all he does is grow a beard. Compare to Wagstaff who is an accomplished inventor who can build a lot of things. Compare also that Wilson was alone puttering about in his attic before being taken while Wagstaff was running a company with multiple employees.

Also, Kevin Forbes said this in an interview in 2013 and I still think it holds up as a summation of Wilson's character:

Wilson is a gentleman scientist, which was an actual thing back when. He's a person of independent means who has decided to apply his intellect, such as it is, to science. He's not actually a very good scientist. He's overconfident, a little brash. He's got a can-do attitude, but he can't actually follow up on a lot of things.

maybe make Wilson like 90% the same, but have a extra uses for beard hair (also Meat-effigy exclusive to Wilson isn't that big of a deal since you can drop life giving amulets and are cheaper in comparison)

1 hour ago, Lumberlocke said:

I'd like to see a quicker beard + more beard hair recipes, maybe some more psuedo-science-y stuff like how Wilson just cobbled Meat, boards, and facial hair into an effigy and called it a day.

Beard hair formula = Men, Women, Monsters and even Kids can grow there own Magnificent Beards too (Homeless beard in 6 days, 1 uses)

I would like Wilson to get some advantages, like other characters have, to add some flavour to him.

When i introduce this game to friends, i always convince them to first get an easy character first (and also, a fun one). I never recommend them to take Wilson.

I often suggest to them to get used to Wigfrid, Wendy or Wx first, because they are quite easy to get. Plus, they are just much more interesting than Wilson overall.

3 hours ago, JeroLudo said:

I would like Wilson to get some advantages, like other characters have, to add some flavour to him.

When i introduce this game to friends, i always convince them to first get an easy character first (and also, a fun one). I never recommend them to take Wilson.

I often suggest to them to get used to Wigfrid, Wendy or Wx first, because they are quite easy to get. Plus, they are just much more interesting than Wilson overall.

That's what I think.

Characters like Wolfgang, WX-78 or Wigfrid are clearly "Fighter characters", while folks such as Wickerbottom, Woodie or Maxwell are "Utilities", hoarding items. Then you have in-betweens like Wendy.

Don't get me wrong, I love Wilson for his "standard survival routine", I truly do. But at the same time I believe he could get some more fleshed-out mechanics. I'm biased here, but I think that my ideas here aren't hurting the gameplay. Like, sure the negative changes make him a little bit harder for the first-time survivors, but at the same time giving him more depth won't hurt anyone, at least that's what I think.

If someone feels however, that my ideas will hurt begginer's experience, then please, respond how exactly, because I'm actually tired of just reading "Wilson should stay the way he is" without any explanation other than "because he's begginer friendly". That's a very broad argument that doesn't differ from "You shouldn't eat that cake because it's unhealthy". I need to know why exactly it's unhealthy.

I have been a Wilson main for most of the years I have been playing the game because, as many people pointed out when talking about Wilson reworks, Wilson is the character you play when you just want to play "Don't Starve" Instead of "Don't Starve but you can only eat meat", "Don't Starve but you do twice the dmg", and so on.

Because of this, playing Wilson on solo its alright, but the main problem with Wilson its that he doesn't offer any advantages to the team (Some characters can help get more food, some help on combat, Wilson can't really give anything that some other character could do better)

Personally I think the perfect rework should be making Wilson be able to give some new ability to the team, but an ability that wouldn't really make the experience of playing as Wilson any different from playing solo, for example. He should be able to make copies of blueprints, so if say, you defeat the bee queen, you can make a bundling warp blueprints for everyone. This is a skill that wouldn't change anything when playing on solo, but it would make him extremely useful for bigger teams. (and it even fits lore-wise, as Wilson has made blueprints for the other survivors such as the blueprints for the Jury-Rigged portal that he sends by birds with Maxwell)

Apart from this he could get some newby-friendly abilities for reviving such as being able to use tell tale hearts without reducing the other player's max health. This fits the role of reviver he had on the forge and it even makes sense considering his experience on reviving (Meat effigy) and that the scientific field he seems to have the most experience is biology (His gorge skin, the skeleton and the rats on his lab, many of his quotes showing some knowledge on the field).

(I swear to god that if his rework its all about his beard it would honestly ruin the character, since his beard feels like its mostly supposed to be a joke and there are barely any quotes about him talking about his beard, so not even himself really cares about it).

In my opinion he does not need any big rework, just some adjustments and reasons to choose him. Maybe ability to craft all known tools without specific structures? Like after you built your first lazy explorer you do not need to come back to ruins to build another? Same with tools from lunar island altar. Or something like Brain of Thought from shipwrecked exclusive to him - to make some items without prototypeing them (only chance for pseudoscience amulets and staffs in no caves worlds)?

4 hours ago, Wexton said:

I have been a Wilson main for most of the years I have been playing the game because, as many people pointed out when talking about Wilson reworks, Wilson is the character you play when you just want to play "Don't Starve" Instead of "Don't Starve but you can only eat meat", "Don't Starve but you do twice the dmg", and so on.

Because of this, playing Wilson on solo its alright, but the main problem with Wilson its that he doesn't offer any advantages to the team (Some characters can help get more food, some help on combat, Wilson can't really give anything that some other character could do better)

Personally I think the perfect rework should be making Wilson be able to give some new ability to the team, but an ability that wouldn't really make the experience of playing as Wilson any different from playing solo, for example. He should be able to make copies of blueprints, so if say, you defeat the bee queen, you can make a bundling warp blueprints for everyone. This is a skill that wouldn't change anything when playing on solo, but it would make him extremely useful for bigger teams. (and it even fits lore-wise, as Wilson has made blueprints for the other survivors such as the blueprints for the Jury-Rigged portal that he sends by birds with Maxwell)

Apart from this he could get some newby-friendly abilities for reviving such as being able to use tell tale hearts without reducing the other player's max health. This fits the role of reviver he had on the forge and it even makes sense considering his experience on reviving (Meat effigy) and that the scientific field he seems to have the most experience is biology (His gorge skin, the skeleton and the rats on his lab, many of his quotes showing some knowledge on the field).

(I swear to god that if his rework its all about his beard it would honestly ruin the character, since his beard feels like its mostly supposed to be a joke and there are barely any quotes about him talking about his beard, so not even himself really cares about it).

I take your comment straight to my heart. I really love how you brought up his individual nature.

I totally agree he could copy blueprints, I agree he should get a buff regarding creation of telltale hearts.

I still stand with my opinion that he should be the only one able to create effigies.

And I still stand with my beard concepts.

3 hours ago, researchlab_2 said:

I take your comment straight to my heart. I really love how you brought up his individual nature.

I totally agree he could copy blueprints, I agree he should get a buff regarding creation of telltale hearts.

I still stand with my opinion that he should be the only one able to create effigies.

And I still stand with my beard concepts.

I like the idea of only him being able to make meat effigies (with the buff live giving amulets got on don't starve together nobody really cares about them anyway) but perhaps to make it less drastic everyone should still be able to craft them but if they are made by Wilson they will revive you at full stats or cost nearly no HP to attone to?

Also am sorry if I sounded too harsh on Beard ideas ruining Wilson, I totally think that if he gets reworked there will totally be some addition to beard hair, but it will just be a minor extra detail (something at the level of Willow's, Warly's or Walter's faster cooking or to Wendy not loosing sanity from ghost players, a little detail but not the core of the character). Sadly if there is any addition to Wilson's Beard it will probably be just a port of Hamlet's Beard hair turf.

1 hour ago, Wexton said:

I like the idea of only him being able to make meat effigies (with the buff live giving amulets got on don't starve together nobody really cares about them anyway) but perhaps to make it less drastic everyone should still be able to craft them but if they are made by Wilson they will revive you at full stats or cost nearly no HP to attone to?

Also am sorry if I sounded too harsh on Beard ideas ruining Wilson, I totally think that if he gets reworked there will totally be some addition to beard hair, but it will just be a minor extra detail (something at the level of Willow's, Warly's or Walter's faster cooking or to Wendy not loosing sanity from ghost players, a little detail but not the core of the character). Sadly if there is any addition to Wilson's Beard it will probably be just a port of Hamlet's Beard hair turf.

I never played Hamlet seriosuly so I cannot talk about the beard turf, but, considering his beard is his main (and only) ability, I think they'll give it some shine (with that beard oil lol).

Seriously though, considering how each reworked character has at least two fields in which they specialize (Woodie: Were-x forms, farming with his fertilizers), Wickerbottom (Easier and faster crafting, farming also) etc, He could both get buffs and more stuff related to both his beard and his healing practises.

I don't think making Wilson better at crafting "first aid" items is a good idea, especially since those items are one of the worst in the whole game (Pierogi and jerky exist). That's why the idea of "better" telltale hearts, along with meat effigies, could create a cool dynamic of an independent doctor who rather brings back from the dead with many "homemade" tactics rather than professional equipment.

Archived