Custom bosses and cards

So, as you can see I have made a mod, that adds 3 new bosses to Sal’s story. On top of it, there are 12 new cards for Sal and new items from said bosses.

You can find it here

Spoiler

BattleCards.png.648765508be7ad5fbfe16a5847824508.pngNegotiationCards.png.6229631bfe248c289102a61f79d7a88c.png

Bosses appear as alternative fights at the end of the days 1,2,3. You have a 33% chance of encountering one.

Huge thanks to RageLeague for figuring out how to make bosses appear in the story.

Both bosses and cards aren’t balanced properly, so any suggestions on how to make them better are welcome.

Enjoy

This is a mod that i really want to try...

problem is i have no idea how to install it.

i tried to use the cross character one from rage but i a) am scared of making changes like adding files to my game and b) have no idea where i'm supposed to put the files

it took an immense amount of hand holding for me to download the lua.jit for dont starve together.

if you know how to help, I, and a lot of other computer illiterate people, would thank you.

I know that installing mods without the Steam workshop is a pain. Fortunately, you don't need to change the game data. Any mods are basically additions and you can remove them without issues.

Installation:

1. Go to ":\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Klei\Griftlands\"

When you get there it will look like this:TheWay.thumb.PNG.29fa9fe36a37fbd9922c67570d01360c.PNG

2. Open the folder consisting of alphanumeric characters (in my case it is the 79789ee2dd464d819a1b0e7a6e35c0ed)

3. Create a folder called "mods"

4. And into it you unzip the folder you downloaded from github called "GriftlandsExpanded-master"

5. When you start the game Epic may ask you which game data you want to use. Pick Upload to Cloud.

Question.thumb.jpg.b693fcfdd407de5a966743e9812ab2de.jpg

6. Now you can open the game and check compendium for the new cards to confirm that mod is working

If it doesn't work, put the "mods" folder directly into "[user]/AppData/Roaming/Klei/Griftlands/"

That should be everything, let me know if you get lost along the way.

Maybe I should make a video tutorial to make it a bit clearer. If I find some time for it.

Okay so after doing god know's what including me trying to uninstall and reinstall griftlands alpha just trying to see if i somehow screwed up how the files are supposed to look like during that one time i tried to learn how to rollback saves and most certainly screwed around with something.

i think what i need is to figure out how to reach the damn file/folder, namely whatever the hell roaming app data is.

i understand what i'm asking is absolutely dumb and once i get handheld through the process it'll seem so simple in retrospect, but i honestly still don't know how to take screenshots in epic game's games so i have no idea how to find the location in file explorer..

OKAY OKAY I FINALLY...jesus christ why does klei forums not let me say the f word that would make this amount of pent up stupidity and anger so much more expressive...

i. finally. got. it. working. there is a god, and his name is hesh.

i must thank you both junior elder and rageleague, as i had been so unbelievably stupid that i finally fixed it after bashing my face into a wall repeatedly.

i had realized i actually needed to enable debug and eventually found the roaming data thingy.

Update: New day 1 boss for Rook and unlike all the other scrubs this one came prepared.

This took me more than a week to finish since I had to rework most things I wanted to do. I feel that I’m losing momentum and motivation, so updates will be even less frequent from now on.

On another note, I thought about making some cards that wouldn't reinforce only one archetype, because the rigidity of deck types is stopping me from enjoying the game. So if you have ideas you’d like to see feel free to post them here and I’ll see what I can do.

12 hours ago, Junior Elder said:

On another note, I thought about making some cards that wouldn't reinforce only one archetype, because the rigidity of deck types is stopping me from enjoying the game. So if you have ideas you’d like to see feel free to post them here and I’ll see what I can do.

Hmm, this sounds like a fun challenge. Some ideas for Sal:

Spoiler

Frenzy

Attack, 1 Action

2-3 damage, apply 2 bleed. Gain 1 combo for every 2 bleed on your target.

Close up

Maneuver, 1 Action

Spend up to 3 combo, gain 2 defense and one Protect per combo spent.

Balanced Stance

Maneuver, 1 Action

Your attacks deal one extra damage per Counter you have. Expend

Mindfulness

Maneuver, 1 Action

Whenever you heal, draw a card, then discard a card. Expend

Dancing blade

Attack, 1 Action

3-5 damage. Spend 3 combo. If you did, improvise a card from your deck, and play it for free with a random target.

Tumble

Attack, 1 Action

2-4 damage. Discard a random card from your hand. If it was an Attack card, gain 5 combo.

Eye for an eye

Attack, 1 Action

3-6 damage. Add an Injury to your discard pile. Apply 3 bleed per Status card in your discard pile.

Resourceful

Maneuver, 1 Action

Until the end of the turn, whenever you gain or spend combo, improvise a card from your deck.

I can do this all day

Maneuver, 1 Action

Gain 1 combo for every two cards in your discard, then shuffle your discard into your deck

I've aimed at a pre-upgrade powerlevel, but some of these are odd enough, they could be very off.

On 7/8/2020 at 11:43 PM, pacovf said:

Hmm, this sounds like a fun challenge. Some ideas for Sal:

Reveal hidden contents

I've aimed at a pre-upgrade powerlevel, but some of these are odd enough, they could be very off.

Thanks for the ideas, they're great. I tried to go through them and do some tweaking.

Those are my changes and thoughts:

Spoiler

Frenzy

Attack, 1 Action

2-3 damage, apply 2 bleed. Gain 1 combo for every 2 bleed on your target.

I like this one, I don't think it needs any changes.

Close up

Maneuver, 0 Action

Spend up to 3 combo, gain 2 defense and one Protect per combo spent.

Shoulder Roll would make this weak by comparison so I went with 0 cost.

Balanced Stance

Maneuver, 1 Action

If you have counter your attacks deal 2 more damage

There are ways to get a lot of counter in a single turn and if combined with 3 or more attacks it would be really strong.

Mindfulness

Maneuver, 1 Action

Whenever you heal, draw a card, then discard a card. Expend

I am a bit worried about consistency but still a nice adition

Dancing blade

Attack, 1 Action

3-5 damage. Spend 3 combo. If you did, improvise an attack card from your deck, and play it for free with a random target.

UPGRADE_1: Improvise from discard pile.

Tumble

Attack, 1 Action

2-4 damage. Discard a random card from your hand. If it was an Attack card, gain 5 combo.

I won't use this one, it is too random for me and I think there is enough randomness in the game already.

Eye for an eye

Attack, 1 Action

3-6 damage. Add an Injury to your discard pile. Apply bleed per Status card in your discard pile.

Nice design, may unnerf later if it turns out too weak

UPGRADE1: 4-8, add 2 injuries

UPGRADE2: 2-4, 3 bleed per Status card

Resourceful

Maneuver, 1 Action

Until the end of the turn, whenever you gain or spend combo, improvise a card from your deck.

Love the card. It may be really hard to code.

I can do this all day

Maneuver, 1 Action

Gain 1 combo for every two cards in your discard, then shuffle your discard into your deck

I do not like current version of this but I don't know why. I will have to think about this one a bit more.

I've been making cards interacting with hand cost, deck size and generally with draw heavy decks.

Those are the ones I am testing right now:

Spoiler

Pounce

Attack, 0 Action

4-8 damage, At the end of your turn increase cost by 1.

Scheme

Maneuver, 0 Action

Gain defense equal to the cost of the most expensive card in hand

Trickery

Maneuver, 1 Action

Improvise a random common, uncommon and rare card.

Hidden Reserves

Maneuver, 1 Action

Gain 2 Defense and 1 Counter for every 3 cards in your discard.

Finall numbers on this will probably be different

Sorry for the late response I needed some time off.

I will try to release new cards in a week or so along with small changes to older ones.

The idea behind Tumble was that you would play it last during your turn, to guarantee you will discard an attack. Playing all maneuver cards (or discarding them, if playing a discard deck!) beforehand means you’re doing a weak-ish attack and getting a whopping 5 combo for 1 action, which is very good value. I think it would be more reliable than you give it credit for. But at the end of the day, you’re the one coding the cards :)

Trickery sounds really powerful, although likely hard to truly take advantage of.

I get the idea behind Tumble, it just felt wrong to make a random discard when every discard is targeted.

Now I realize that I could just change the wording to: "If you only have attacks in your hand gain 5 combo"

Unless I'm missing something this wouldn't change most of the interactions and the synergy would still be there

I have alternative version for trickery prepared as a potential nerf. It would improvise 3 common cards. One upgrade would give uncommon cards instead and other would have improvise+

I wanted it to be a card for adding more cards into hand/deck to boost cards that depend on it

Thanks for the feedback, it truly is helpful :)

Since you said you appreciated the feedback, I will give some more:

4 hours ago, Junior Elder said:

I get the idea behind Tumble, it just felt wrong to make a random discard when every discard is targeted.

Now I realize that I could just change the wording to: "If you only have attacks in your hand gain 5 combo"

Unless I'm missing something this wouldn't change most of the interactions and the synergy would still be there

The main differences in your version are:

• You don't have the option to try playing it for the combo even if you still have maneuver cards in hand;
  • You don't trigger on-discard effects (e.g., into the Shadows);
  • You are more likely to play your version earlier in the turn, since you don't risk discarding a card you wanted to play.

And well, I like the theme: either Sal tumbles gracefully, or she stumbles face-first on the ground :p It's a fine card either way. Cinotrainer used to be a random discard, and I think one of the parasite cards still has a random discard effect, so it's not a completely new effect on a player card.

For other cards you mentioned, I will say that Balanced Stance probably wants to be the scaling version I put forward. A counter deck doesn't want to invest in attacks, and a multi-attack deck doesn't want to invest in counter. They're fundamentally opposite deck archetypes. To make you want to invest equally into both, the bonus should be sizeable. I am not sure 2 extra power is enough. I can see your concern about stacking huge amounts of counter, though. Maybe something in between would be best.

Trickery is good mainly because of the Rare part, I think. Improvising 3 (common) cards is not that good when you are already paying 1 action to get them, and you likely already had 4 other cards in your hand to begin with; you just don't have the actions to exploit so many cards in one turn. But you do get a whole lot of choice on what you play. It's definitely an interesting concept. I would say it wants to expend, though.

On "hand-cost" effects, I don't have much to say. Sal doesn't have many cards that synergize with the concept (footwork is fine, freighter is ok, neither are worth building a deck around), so any new card you want to make that helps should really make you want to invest in the idea. I like Pounce as a card that is decent-ish by itself, but supports the archetype, it's clever. Scheme is weak, unless the upgrades are amazing, needs a boost. But you want one or two flagship cards for the archetype, on top of these.

Ok I'm back. This time it only took me 2 days, I am getting better at this.

Playing Tumble without a 100% chance of hitting an attack is the reason I didn't like the card. I personally prefer it this way because the difference between getting 5 combo and not is quite substantial

Not discarding cards makes it slightly weaker but presumably, you would still play it along with other discards so it would only be marginally weaker

Playing it earlier in your turn will allow activation of combo cards but it shouldn't be OP, at least I hope so

The theme was really nice and it always bothers me when I have to change something that fits so well. But I would say that gameplay has priority over the flavor. If you don't mind I will end the discussion about this card here. I will test my version and if it doesn't feel good I am going to try yours.

When it comes to the Balanced Stance the only truly problematic card would be Reversal. It is simple to pull off and it could give you 5-10 temporary power and if played as the first card it would allow you to pull off 50+ damage combos with minimal setup.

With only +2 damage it would be less useful for decks going full counter and better for decks with cards that along with their main effect apply counter as well. After all, it is 1 cost +2 (+3 upgraded) power under certain conditions. And it can stack.

Trickery has expend, I forgot to add it to the description.

I have tried a hand-cost deck and it worked quite decently. I went with a lot of cost reduction, draw and discard support. The biggest problem for me was lack of defensive options since I didn't get battle scars, boulder stance, or any stuns. And with the freighter, I couldn' consistently hit more than for 20 damage. But I am fine with it being tier 2 deck as long as it is fun to play, and I felt like it was quite interesting even without the new cards.

I think I will change Scheme to: 0 cost, Discard a card and gain defense equal to twice its cost. One upgrade will no longer discard the card and the second one will discard two cards and give defense equal to their combined costs.

If you use it on a card with a discard effect it will give 2 defense and activate the discard effect and if you use it on a high-cost card it will give 4-8 defense.

7 hours ago, BlueJIN said:

Can you set the minimum capacity of the deck to limit unlimited flow routines?

I am not exactly sure what you mean by unlimited flow routines but that would be very difficult and certainly beyond my technical skills. I couldn't find any value that determines the minimum deck size, so you would probably need a completely original code. You can try asking other modders or devs, my understanding of Lua is quite limited so I can't give you a definite answer. Sorry

Update: New boss as an alternative to the Flead queen, smaller changes to Incendiary Ammunition and Advanced Targeting, completely removed Guided Shot and Thick-skinned.

This boss is a bit different so I may have misjudged the difficulty, please tell me if you find it too easy or too difficult.

The next update will be more cards for Rook to bring him on the same level as Sal.

I've just updated the mod, there are 11 additional cards for Rook. It is less than I wanted but I had an unpleasant return to the real life so I decided to release what I finished earlier. As far as the future updates go, I will try to bring both Sal and Rook to 30 cards in total, finish the last boss for Rook, and make some interesting Grafts. I would like to finish all of that before Smith is fully released. I will also look into the steam workshop so you can play it there when the update is released.

Archived