Extra power usage

I'm wondering what do you do with power once your base is stable and you've hit space ?

Are there some projects that are power hungry that you wait until later in game when you've got the power to do so ?

Earlier i disconnected my solars and some steam turbines from the grid just so my petroleum generator would run a bit more to get some PW...

I have some projects in mind but they all generate tons of power, so what to do with it ? 

28 minutes ago, Edoc_ said:

I'm wondering what do you do with power once your base is stable and you've hit space ?

Are there some projects that are power hungry that you wait until later in game when you've got the power to do so ?

Earlier i disconnected my solars and some steam turbines from the grid just so my petroleum generator would run a bit more to get some PW...

I have some projects in mind but they all generate tons of power, so what to do with it ? 

Go for the 100 dupe challenge maybe?

It is basically impossible to be constricted energy wise in this game. Even if you have a small number of oil wells, you can always wild plant trees and go for technically unlimited ethanol. Thus, there will always be too much energy if you want to. Personally, I'm tapping all oil reservoirs for petroleum and sour gas boilers. Crude oil --> PW --> Reed Fiber --> Mass production of Insulation. I use the infinite planet resources mod, so I don't run out of isoresin. I have 20 rockets working non stop, so a lot of energy consuption goes into LOX/LH (still much less then what I produce). I'm gonna go for a rust melter next.
Also I'm planning on empting the magma core. These are the ideas I can give you to spend energy/time.
Ah also the new 4bit light panels require 10W, you can theoretically fill the map with those and make crazy drawings with automation :-D

49 minutes ago, suxkar said:

Ah also the new 4bit light panels require 10W, you can theoretically fill the map with those and make crazy drawings with automation

Lord of the Rings Extended Edition in ONI pixel art?  "You son of a ****, I'm in."@Morty

17 hours ago, suxkar said:

It is basically impossible to be constricted energy wise in this game. Even if you have a small number of oil wells, you can always wild plant trees and go for technically unlimited ethanol. Thus, there will always be too much energy if you want to. Personally, I'm tapping all oil reservoirs for petroleum and sour gas boilers. Crude oil --> PW --> Reed Fiber --> Mass production of Insulation. I use the infinite planet resources mod, so I don't run out of isoresin. I have 20 rockets working non stop, so a lot of energy consuption goes into LOX/LH (still much less then what I produce). I'm gonna go for a rust melter next.
Also I'm planning on empting the magma core. These are the ideas I can give you to spend energy/time.
Ah also the new 4bit light panels require 10W, you can theoretically fill the map with those and make crazy drawings with automation :-D

Thanks for you suggestions and yeah power is really cheap. Most of what i want to try next like playing with magma rewards you usually with lots of power, wanted to make either magma powered turbine or a regolith melter but i'm really not needing the power tho :) I managed to melt a piece of insulation my last game but even playing with high temperatures involves more ressources than power.

I'm more or less in the same situation, i need to mass produce reed fiber, i'm on the rime without care package and no pip on other planets so i can't wild plant them. I'm not sure i understand what you do, do you convert your crude oil into petroluem to make more PW and CO2 from the petrol generator ? Even if you don't need the power ?

Should i start considering power as a byproduct ?

Also, 20 rockets, do you stack them ?

Edit : now that i think about it i might try to do an electrical petroleum boiler with aquatuners instead of magma, so i use a little of that energy i have so many wells on my map i just need to find a something to do with the cold i'll get from the AT

Petroleum boiler is only the short step. If you want to try something bigger, go for the sour gas boiler/methane condenser. More PW, a little less CO2, and enormous more net power per kg crude oil. Although this would give you more of the "waste" product power. :-D (thinking about 5KW per kg crude oil instead of 2KW for the petroleum route)

Maybe looking here: 

up to 220 natural gas generators are big by itself and make for a huge sauna.

6 hours ago, TripleM999 said:

If you want to try something bigger, go for the sour gas boiler/methane condenser

Thanks very interesting i started to build my non magma boiler already, but i think i'll try to build one of those soon. Did you build the one you posted there ?

I have enough wells for 24 to 27 kg/s of crude oil and the one you linked seem to be good for this output.

At the moment i've build the third of my boiler, i want to see if i can make something that accept up to 27 kg/s 

Spoiler

boiler.thumb.jpg.eddb481e6871adae9e879298bb171feb.jpg

Without slickster 10k/s would give 0.75 k/s of surplus PW, not even 3 reed fibers :? 

and some uneeded power :)

How much water would you get with a sour gas boiler per 10 k/s of crude ?

I'm about to remove all smart batteries with automation, i don't see the point of putting priorites on power generators when the amount of power pratically increase with each fun things you do.  

15 minutes ago, MinhPham said:

my tube system consume at least 20kW itself

Last map i tried to put more access tubes but it seemed that dupes were taking it for very short trips to the point that it looked like they were loosng time going for the access tube.

Maybe i've done it wrong, could i see your system ?

31 minutes ago, Edoc_ said:

Last map i tried to put more access tubes but it seemed that dupes were taking it for very short trips to the point that it looked like they were loosng time going for the access tube.

Maybe i've done it wrong, could i see your system ?

It's true, short trip tubes even slower than ladder, it's just the way to ... consume power :D

8 hours ago, Edoc_ said:

Thanks very interesting i started to build my non magma boiler already, but i think i'll try to build one of those soon. Did you build the one you posted there ?

Not in survival, but yeah. I can post some overlays too in the other thread, if needed.

Archived