Best of both worlds: less RAM and less lag?

I have 8G RAM installed, and when I tested, about 4G RAM was still free (I use a not-so-popular lightweight browser). I also have swap disabled, and I am also running Debian (testing branch). The FPS difference was 42 (Lua 5.1) and 36 (LuaJIT). Here is my specs you couldn't see in the above image:

Host: MacBookPro9,2 1.0
Kernel: 5.6.0-1-amd64
Uptime: 1 day, 6 hours, 32 mins
Resolution: 1280x800, 1920x1080
WM: i3
CPU: Intel i5-3210M (4) @ 3.100GHz
GPU: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
Memory: 6698MiB / 7936MiB

1 hour ago, hyiltiz said:

I have 8G RAM installed, and when I tested, about 4G RAM was still free (I use a not-so-popular lightweight browser). I also have swap disabled, and I am also running Debian (testing branch). The FPS difference was 42 (Lua 5.1) and 36 (LuaJIT). Here is my specs you couldn't see in the above image:

Host: MacBookPro9,2 1.0
Kernel: 5.6.0-1-amd64
Uptime: 1 day, 6 hours, 32 mins
Resolution: 1280x800, 1920x1080
WM: i3
CPU: Intel i5-3210M (4) @ 3.100GHz
GPU: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
Memory: 6698MiB / 7936MiB

Could you please reupload the images via forum's attachments or show me the stats on left-top corner (as my comparison show) in text?

1 hour ago, PaintDream said:

Could you please reupload the images via forum's attachments or show me the stats on left-top corner (as my comparison show) in text?

Hmm, here you go. This forum seem to purge old images, so I used imgur which just keeps them. I like things to stay as is and be their own archive.

Lua-no-mods-FPS.png

LuaJIT-no-mods-FPS.png

Specs.png

19 hours ago, PaintDream said:

Looks weird, what if creating a brand new world without any mods?

Fresh new world (World has no mods, client has some mods but all are quite common ones that I'd hope they'd also be optimized)

FreshWorld-Lua-process.png

FreshWorld-Lua.png

FreshWorld-LuaJIT-process.png

FreshWorld-LuaJIT.png

2 hours ago, hyiltiz said:

Fresh new world (World has no mods, client has some mods but all are quite common ones that I'd hope they'd also be optimized)

https://github.com/paintdream/DontStarveLuaJIT/releases/tag/2020.5.23

Download the release above.

Use jit.on() and jit.off() to see if CPU load changes? Note that you should wait for about 1 minute after jit.on(). 

prints out jit.status() to get more details.

17 hours ago, PaintDream said:

https://github.com/paintdream/DontStarveLuaJIT/releases/tag/2020.5.23

Download the release above.

Use jit.on() and jit.off() to see if CPU load changes? Note that you should wait for about 1 minute after jit.on(). 

prints out jit.status() to get more details.

jit.on() not found ...

latest-screenshot.png

Still not found after disabling all mods...

Without mod, CPU load after a Day in a fresh world is attached.

latest-screenshot.png

latest-screenshot.png

2 hours ago, hyiltiz said:

jit.on() not found ...

Still not found after disabling all mods...

Without mod, CPU load after a Day in a fresh world is attached.

That means you are not running latest version. Please check out 2020.5.23 version.

It should print enabled features out when typed "print(jit.status())":

true SSE2 SSE3 ...

523version.thumb.png.8e6a4ccf08243cde70ce86d14a2e63d6.png

You were right; I just unpacked it but didn't link the libraries. Now it is properly installed. Fresh World. no Mods. Frames are 59 with jit.on() or jit.off. CPU and MEM usage are nearly the same; jit.on() takes +5% more, in fact.

LuaJIT-test.png

LuaJIT-off-after-quarter-Day.png

LuaJIT-on-after-quarter-Day.png

On 5/24/2020 at 1:01 PM, hyiltiz said:

You were right; I just unpacked it but didn't link the libraries. Now it is properly installed. Fresh World. no Mods. Frames are 59 with jit.on() or jit.off. CPU and MEM usage are nearly the same; jit.on() takes +5% more, in fact.

It turns out that the LuaJIT would not improve the execution of the game on i5-3210M processor. 

Maybe there are too many cache misses on i5-3210M (3M cache), blocking cpu execution frequently. By contrast, my i7-3610QM has 6M cache.

8 hours ago, Wumpus the 19th said:

i swear this addition does cause the starving floor to not work. i have tried to join the dedicated servers for starving floor and the game crashes when i join. it's either that or all the damn mods on those servers.

Is that a mod? Some mods that change the core game engine doesn't work with this.

10 hours ago, hyiltiz said:

Is that a mod? Some mods that change the core game engine doesn't work with this.

Yeah it's a mod. You can generally find starving floor servers that are dedicated with 15 people server limits. Everytime I join the game quickly shows a crash screen, then boots me into the game where the screen freezes on the character select and theres nothing i can do but close the game entirely.

okay i might want to ask how do you uninstall this. at least for a spell, since i a) wanted to play the starving floor mod and b) haven't noticed a major difference...moslty because i haven't been comparing the versions...

is it just taking the files out of the bin? or are there more steps?

Archived