Why do caves require a separate server from the surface?

My laptop is unable to host a world with caves without ungodly amounts of lag. There are no good mods that allow caves on the surface because they’ve either been discontinued and crash the game or they replace existing biomes to make way for new ones. Instead, I’ve had to use a mod which allows me to craft cave items, but that feels too cheaty. So I ask this; why is it that caves need a separate server from the surface, when they didn’t in regular Don’t Starve? Obviously this is a multiplayer equivalent of that game, but surely they could be combined into one server?

• Developer

In regular Don't Starve when you went into the caves it unloaded the surface world and loaded the caves instead. But in DST one player could be on the surface and one in the caves at the same time.

2 hours ago, nome said:

In regular Don't Starve when you went into the caves it unloaded the surface world and loaded the caves instead. But in DST one player could be on the surface and one in the caves at the same time.

I would ask if the same thing happens in offline mode, but I surmise that it still allows for LAN games, rendering my question moot.

1 hour ago, TheExtrapolator said:

I would ask if the same thing happens in offline mode, but I surmise that it still allows for LAN games, rendering my question moot.

You could ask about 1-slot servers, since the game seems to treat them differently (changing the server playstyle to "alone" and greying out every option but Local Play), but I'm pretty sure those do the same thing with caves as usual anyway.

5 hours ago, TheExtrapolator said:

My laptop is unable to host a world with caves without ungodly amounts of lag. There are no good mods that allow caves on the surface because they’ve either been discontinued and crash the game or they replace existing biomes to make way for new ones. Instead, I’ve had to use a mod which allows me to craft cave items, but that feels too cheaty. So I ask this; why is it that caves need a separate server from the surface, when they didn’t in regular Don’t Starve? Obviously this is a multiplayer equivalent of that game, but surely they could be combined into one server?

same problem bro:wilson_worried:, my desktop has duel core processor which works fine in everyday use and I played don't starve without any problem. it runs DS like a butter. I don't know how but I played call of Duty 6 on it. But It's unable to handle Don't starve together with caves.Without caves it's fine but with cave it's lag machine. I know I don't have really good specs but still I think DST server implementation is very bad as when I forced to run it on my lapy with i5-6 ,it's sometimes still lags.

I know my friends stop playing ONI because of lag issue:blue: 

Ive said this before and I'll say it again, DST needs a dedicated "Solo" option that changes how your game treats the caves. For example, it could launch the caves server when you go underground while closing the surface server, and vise versa (ie similar to singleplayer) so solo play is actually viable/fun for people without powerful rigs.

20 hours ago, TheExtrapolator said:

At some point we need to phase out old technology.  Most games don’t continue to develop for as long as DST has, and it was unfortunate to straddle the 32 and 64 bit transition.

15 hours ago, sovon9 said:

same problem bro:wilson_worried:, my desktop has duel core processor which works fine in everyday use and I played don't starve without any problem. it runs DS like a butter. I don't know how but I played call of Duty 6 on it. But It's unable to handle Don't starve together with caves.Without caves it's fine but with cave it's lag machine. I know I don't have really good specs but still I think DST server implementation is very bad as when I forced to run it on my lapy with i5-6 ,it's sometimes still lags.

I know my friends stop playing ONI because of lag issue:blue: 

The primary performance bottleneck in DST is only being able to utilize 4GB of ram due to being a 32 bit program.  We can mitigate this by having caves and surface being separate servers, but a lot of people try to play this game on old and outdated hardware.

While I do expect PC games to support hardware longer than consoles do, at some point we need to recognize that an Apple II just won’t cut it.

i was able to play with caves and everything full  in a core2duo with 3 ram. Sometimes it was laggy when  a lot of **** happens at the same time but that computer was old by that time so in this days we cant ask to klei to waste money and time to improve the game for 10 years old computer. We have the laptop mode and low screen resolutions to fight it. At some point we need to improve our pc to a minimum if we want to play well.

that doesnt mean that dst doesnt  need an improvement like the 32bit problem or how much trash gets acummulate in old worlds or how to improve the separate servers system to even add more "worlds" with less consume or how the lag affects fighting

On 5/16/2020 at 12:45 AM, nome said:

why couldnt we have a small animation of the characters walking downstairs to the cave since the entry/exit do have stairs and it could be better. my guess is about the engine, coding stuff or better specs. edit: (for dst!!!)

Archived