Polluted water decontamination with continuous 10 kg/s flow

This system was updated on 2020-05-02. If you built it following a previous version, please check carefully which changes have been made to prevent the system from running dry and outputting germ infected liquid.

This is a variant of Neotuck's Septic System V2 with continuous 10kg/s flow.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Septic System V2. It works totally fine for me. As pointed out by Tika96 later on in this thread, Septic System V2 and thus also my design were not 100% fail safe. Fortunately this appears to be fixable in my design because reservoirs now have automation outputs, which they didn't have when the original design was published.

So, if you're OK with the room being five tiles high and 14 tiles wide, then that version is obviously a lot easier to build than mine and by all means save yourself some time and material and build Septic System V2. My version doesn't run any amount better worth mentioning than Septic System V2 because it's functionally the same thing. It turns out that my new design actually does run a little bit better than the original, but it still needs about a ton of  extra refined metal for the automation.

I only made this version because I had a map in which I wanted to decontaminate a pool of germ infested polluted water that was hindering my expansion, but the only free room I had nearby was only 12 × 4 tiles and I wanted to avoid rebuilding anything nearby and I had enough refined metal to spare.

The main difference is, that I removed the timers from the original version and replaced them with automation components as suggested in Saturnus' comment. I did not change Saturnus' automation, but I had to unfold the 4 x 4 tile automation block due to space limitations.

The automation has a total of 52 connectors, making it impossible to fit them all inside the 48 tile room, so some of the automation had to be built into the wall, floor and ceiling tiles, making it impossible to use mechanized airlocks, which shouldn't be an issue because the dupes rarely or maybe even never have to re-enter this room after its completion.

Each liquid reservoir has three shut offs, the left one, the right one and the top one, aptly named L, R and T. I numbered the reservoirs 1, 2 and 3 from left to right. 1L refers to the left shutoff of the left Reservoir, 2T refers to the top shutoff of the middle reservoir and so forth.

The automation uses bits 1, 2 and 3 of the automation ribbon, bit 4 is unused. Be careful to assign the proper bit to each of the ribbon readers and ribbon writers.

At any time only one of the three bits may be green and the other two bits must be red.

For reference or in case you – like me – didn't get the automation right in the first attempt, I made a table of all nine shutoffs' statuses depending on which bit is green.

image.png.c2f23264d9daf3f4c1417ad1426da434.png

Before you begin building the system you must bear in mind that the pipes connecting the reservoirs' outputs with their corresponding shutoffs must not be built initially. Also the final pipe segment connecting to the input shutoff must not be built initially.

The first difference to the original automation is that the  NOT gate on L3 has been moved one tile to the left to make room for a new automation wire we need here.

The other difference to the original automation is that the automation output of each reservoir has to be connected to the automation input of the NOT gate of its left shutoff.

The NOT gate now has two outputs going into its input. This works exactly the same as using an OR gate. As long as at least one of the outputs is green, then the whole line on the input is green. Unfortunately this also means that some of the automation wire is now outside of the room. This breaks my original intention to keep everything with in the room, but it's a necessary fix to get the whole thing working properly. I might revisit the automation later after I have given it some thought and if I come up with a solution that does not exceed the wall tiles of the room.

Each reservoir has three phases: in the first phase it's filled, in the second phase its contents get decontaminated and in the third phase it empties its contents. As long as no liquid pipes have been connected to the reservoir's output the third phase will do nothing, of course.

Each reservoir must initially contain at least 200 kg of water or polluted water – with or without germs doesn't matter – and no reservoir may ever be completely empty. Therefore the reservoirs need their low threshold set to 1 and their high threshold set to 2.

When preliminary building is done you must wait until the active filter gate has completed its cycle and the next filter gate has just begun a new cycle. Now you can build the pipes leading to the input shutoffs on all three reservoirs. The system will now initialize.

Initially the system must be run until one reservoir is done filling and decontaminating and could be emptying if it already had pipes on its output, another is done filling and has started decontaminating, and the last reservoir has begun filling. Now it is time to build the output pipe for the reservoir that would be emptying now if it had an output pipe. Do not build the other output pipes yet. Building the output pipes must be completed before the reservoir shuts its outlet and returns to its filling phase. Then you must wait until the next reservoir begins its emptying phase at which time its output pipe must be built. Again it is important that building the output pipes must be completed before the reservoir shuts its outlet and returns to its filling phase. Do not build the output pipe of the final reservoir yet. Finallly you must wait until the final reservoir begins its emptying phase at which time its output must be built and again it is important that building the output pipes must be completed before the reservoir shuts its outlet and returns to its filling phase.

Now you have completed the decontamination system that will always have a germ free output.

Screenshot of the room with no pipes connected to the reservoirs' outputs.

2062846926_Bildschirmfoto1.thumb.png.887c83af798cbe34b40c26df53702a14.png

Screenshot of the room's piping with empty pipes and no pipes connected to the reservoirs' outputs before system initialisation.

Bildschirmfoto.thumb.png.13213c35420b223f1da59eb1ccd81411.png

Screenshot of the piping with all shutoffs and reservoirs in place.

2046634140_Bildschirmfoto2.thumb.png.7c989194c3c600d3a9e2fd6ad4db84ad.png

In the previous screenshot shutoffs partially obscure the pipes so the next screenshot only shows the pipes of the completely running systems after initialisation.

1001381745_Bildschirmfoto4.thumb.png.c8b20b2b267edd6e22f0641adb0f4eec.png

Screenshot of the automation with the fix introduced on 2020-05-02 preventing reservoirs running dry.

8075930_Bildschirmfoto2.thumb.png.26f73fbeba89cc127b00933b3e7c3526.png

Screenshot of the electric wiring.

1426610933_Bildschirmfoto1.thumb.png.ee6b47148e4e51d0f3767bf98c142fd7.png

PS: If the screenshots appear to have weird file names then that's because I play Oxygen Not Included on the German version of macOS. "Bildschirmfoto" is the German word for "screenshot". I would like to give a shout-out and special thanks to Klei Entertainment for making this game playable on macOS.

Bildschirmfoto.png

1 hour ago, Hvitbardur said:

Screenshot of the automation.

15000987_Bildschirmfoto3.thumb.png.676f78acf03e9483b77aa8d11edbaef0.png

It was mentioned in the original thread, but I'd like to point it out nonetheless: the timers for the filter gates must all be set to 200 s.

Please forgive me for failing to mention this detail in my first post.

5 minutes ago, wachunga said:

Flow should start from the rightmost reservoir

Following the original Septic System V2's concept liquid does not flow from one reservoir to another. While one reservoir fills, another reservoir empties and the remaining reservoir does nothing while germs are eliminated by exposure to chlorine.

12 minutes ago, Hvitbardur said:

Following the original Septic System V2's concept liquid does not flow from one reservoir to another. While one reservoir fills, another reservoir empties and the remaining reservoir does nothing while germs are eliminated by exposure to chlorine.

Sorry that was in reply to nakomaru, I should have quoted him. Apologies.

Joking aside, building a monstrosity of automation is an accomplishment. So well done on that, even if there is a much simpler solution to the original problem.

Why`d you even decontaminate it? The only reason is to purify water for espresso machine or water cooler, nothing else. FP germs don`t survive in air and can`t "jump" onto any surface from it, the tiles and dupes remain 100% clean after the germy oxygen shower. They don`t mind germy water showers and toilets as well, sinks don`t bother either. For espresso or cooler you can just leave 1 extra reservoir

123.png

Hi Hvitbardur,

I have build a similar recycling facility ( see below ). But I have also made the same mistake as you have done: Between the tank output and the shutoff there is a small pipe connection needed ... and these pipes are not disinfected. As I have learned, ther are a few options to clean these few liters, too.

• You can add a loop from the output back to the input. This way, the germy water returns back to the tank, if the shutoff is closed. It's not 100% fail safe. But almost. The germy water loops several times back and each time it is mixed with the less and less germy water.

• Another option would be to replace the output shutoff by an airlock door placed under the tank. This is 100% safe. The tank can still be filled with water even if the airlock is open removing the standing ground. But the tank can't release any water. Although it is more effective, IMHO this is a bit too cheesy.

This is my cleaning / recycling facility. It's the actual state with the mistake still included.

It's a bit complicated on the automation side. But the work flow is the same. I have only used a half day timer to switch the tanks. And every tank rests three half days. Add one tank / half day for the filling and one tank / half day for the emptying. Then you have my five stages / floors.

The facility can support two input pipes. That's make the double tanks. Also I have prepared to clean polluted oxygen ( slime lung geyser is close by ). But I have not connected the air pipes, ye

Overview

watercleaningrecyclefu4kfx.jpg

Plumbing layer

watercleaningrecyclef9mkxj.jpg

Ventilation layer

watercleaningrecyclef65kqn.jpg

Automation grid

watercleaningrecyclef68jar.jpg

If you have any questions, you can PM me: German is my mother's tongue, too. And it might be easier to discuss details in our familiar language.

Yours Tika

23 minutes ago, VolcanoTheGod said:

Why`d you even decontaminate it? The only reason is to purify water for espresso machine or water cooler, nothing else.

No.  If you don't decontaminate your germy polluted water before sending it to the water sieve, then the polluted dirt that comes out will be germy, then dupes get germs on their hands from touching it which means any food they touch has FP, then when they eat that food they get FP.  Also the fresh water coming out of the sieve has FP germs which means when you use it to grow crops that take water, they also have germs.  FP isn't a huge deal, but it does help to disinfect the pwater first.

I clean the water first to speed up the disinfection process. The food poison germs in the polluted dirt are not my concern. The dirt will be sent to the deodorizers to rot and create a bit extra clay. And the clay will be burned to ceramic. Everything without any duplicant operation. So in this direction, there is no food poisoning spreading.

There is really no need for anything complicated. Just make sure you have 4 or 5 tanks in a row in chlorine and the first one is reliably non-empty. Gives you a tiny bit less than 10kg/sec, bit if you need that, just use two rows.

10 hours ago, Tika96 said:

The food poison germs in the polluted dirt are not my concern. The dirt will be sent to the deodorizers to rot and create a bit extra clay

No, deodorizers take sand, not polluted dirt.  Polluted dirt you either feed to sage hatches or pokeshells, or compost into regular dirt ( which will still have germs ) then use that to grow crops.  I suppose that if you are using sweepers and rails to supply the sieve and move the polluted dirt to a sage hatch or pokeshell ranch and dupes never handle it then it doesn't matter.

As I said, I move the polluted dirt to the deodorizers ... not into the deodorizers but next to them. The polluted dirt emitts polluted oxygen. And this is consumed by the deodorizers. Of course deodorizers need sand to operate. But luckily they don't need duplicants to do their job. A sweeper can easily feed the sand into the deodorizers and it can also "build small piles" of dirt by feeding the polluted dirt into down scaled storage bins. At last the sweeper collects the clay which is sent to kilns.

36 minutes ago, Tika96 said:

As I said, I move the polluted dirt to the deodorizers ... not into the deodorizers but next to them.

Ahh... yea I guess you can let it turn into oxygen...

12 hours ago, psusi said:

No.  If you don't decontaminate your germy polluted water before sending it to the water sieve, then the polluted dirt that comes out will be germy, then dupes get germs on their hands from touching it which means any food they touch has FP, then when they eat that food they get FP.  Also the fresh water coming out of the sieve has FP germs which means when you use it to grow crops that take water, they also have germs.  FP isn't a huge deal, but it does help to disinfect the pwater first.

Well, the only sources of FP are bathroom buildings, which are easily looped with use of water sieve. The dirt sieve is producing can not emit any polluted oxygen when submerged in liquid(screen below). It can freely stockpile, Even if you`d move it, you can use the hand washer. And even if not, FP germs don`t make much a threat, just a little more time spent in the bathroom and a few more seconds of sleep. So there`s no much reason in decontaminating still. Only if one of the dupes makes a mess in your pool...

1234.png

Personally, I like decontaminating my drinking/cooking/washing/farming water for it's own sake. Sure, it isn't strictly necessary for the game mechanics, but so what? I play the game to build the "best" base I can; I prefer my dupes having non germy water than germy water.

Sure, you can play the game only by doing what is strictly optimal according to the game mechanics, but optimal only makes sense once you've fixed a goal. If the goal isn't to build the best/most interesting/most challenging colony possible, then what is it? Reach the in game objectives in the shortest time possible?

20 hours ago, Tika96 said:

I have build a similar recycling facility ( see below ). But I have also made the same mistake as you have done: Between the tank output and the shutoff there is a small pipe connection needed ... and these pipes are not disinfected.

Thank you for pointing this out. Apparently I had never run into this situation because the testing of the system had it primed before I built the output for the system and it never ran dry until it was ready to be completely emptied anyway.

I will edit my original posting with the fix I made for the situation.

Archived