Work in Progress: Opinions on This Piece of Lore Evidence

I'm currently looking through even more old DST content for some clues that might point me to a new theory. I found something particularly interesting I wanted to get the community's opinions on because I'm a super-skeptic when it comes to appearance-based evidence, especially for a franchise whose artistic charm partly comes from the nonsensical aspect.

That being said, I have 2 questions for you guys to answer.
1. Does the person in question look a bit like Wilson? To me, the sharp chin, dotted shadowy eyes, and curly hair make this possible, but the bandana is really throwing me off. Lore-wise, this would explain how Wilson got his hands on a Voxola radio, but if it isn't, I'll keep looking for more clues

image.thumb.png.afa13e15e70703cd3dedbe5fa2441f3e.png

2. Does anyone know what the in-depth, step-by-step manufacturing model is in 1919 America? I just want to know if factories generally shipped manufactured goods out in bulk or sent them one at a time to retail stores. I've looked around but so far can't find anything regarding old factory business models. 

Appreciate the input.

P.S. For those who've read my ridiculously and - now that I re-read them - unnecessarily long theory essays, would it help for me to go back and give a proper tl;dr to those theories to make it easier for readers to digest? Or would that be considered "thread necroing", which from what I've gathered is apparently a controversial practice?

If that lady was intended to be related to Wilson she would probably have had something more obvious than just her face shape. More than likely she just has a similar face shape and has nothing to do with Wilson.

No idea about the manufacturing question unfortunately.

If you feel like it's necessary I don't see why it would be a bad thing to do. From what I understand I don't think it'll even bump the thread back to the front if you're just editing an old post so there shouldn't be a risk for "necroing". Keep in mind though chances are the only people that will end up finding your older theory essays are probably only people that are specifically looking for it and probably wouldn't have any issue reading through the whole thing. But if you want to do it there's no reason not to.

1 hour ago, ButterStuffed said:

If that lady was intended to be related to Wilson she would probably have had something more obvious than just her face shape. More than likely she just has a similar face shape and has nothing to do with Wilson.

No idea about the manufacturing question unfortunately.

If you feel like it's necessary I don't see why it would be a bad thing to do. From what I understand I don't think it'll even bump the thread back to the front if you're just editing an old post so there shouldn't be a risk for "necroing". Keep in mind though chances are the only people that will end up finding your older theory essays are probably only people that are specifically looking for it and probably wouldn't have any issue reading through the whole thing. But if you want to do it there's no reason not to.

Could you explain why you think the person in the black circle is a lady?

That's a shame. I'm going to assume they're shipped in bulk based on the fact that this took place 6 years after Ford's assembly line was invented, but concrete evidence would be nice.

Thanks for the input; I guess I'll stick to the original plan of making a separate tl;dr post. I don't want to modify the original post for personal record reasons. Also, could you clarify why it is that thread necroing is generally frowned upon? I've been on forums in general for quite some time, and I sometimes see people who revive threads get called out unfavorably but never understood the hostility.

1 hour ago, Rinkusan said:

Could you explain why you think the person in the black circle is a lady?

That's a shame. I'm going to assume they're shipped in bulk based on the fact that this took place 6 years after Ford's assembly line was invented, but concrete evidence would be nice.

Thanks for the input; I guess I'll stick to the original plan of making a separate tl;dr post. I don't want to modify the original post for personal record reasons. Also, could you clarify why it is that thread necroing is generally frowned upon? I've been on forums in general for quite some time, and I sometimes see people who revive threads get called out unfavorably but never understood the hostility.

Winona's character design seems to be based off of the Rosie the Riveter poster (which from what I understand was a poster empowering women to do what was considered men's work in the 1940s) and I assumed the rest of the workers were female because of the theme implied by Winona's design. Also atleast 3/4 of the people standing outside also are clearly female with the bows and the buns so it doesn't seem far fetched that she is probably a female as well. The tufts of hair coming out of the front of her bandanna also scream old timey women's hairdo to me for some reason.

As for the necro-ing from what I understand the reason people don't like it is that most of the time when a thread is necro'd the purpose of the thread had already been fulfilled at that point. The question has been answered, the problem has been solved, or the discussion has been had. Most people don't really bother looking at the date on thread on the front page (since why would you honestly) and get irritated that their time was wasted looking at a thread that had long since died and which they may have already participated in.

The only exceptions to the "No Necromancy" I see is if the thread is made with the intent of inviting comments showing pictures, playing some forum game or someone is keeping it up to date with information people want.

I personally think that most people react far too harshly to necromancers since most of the time they are totally unaware that they are digging up a dead thread and sometimes they are actually asking a question or adding a thought in which context with the rest of the thread is helpful for the reader. People could definitely be nicer since there is no benefit in my eyes at least from being hostile about this kind of thing.

But, that's just my opinion.

2 hours ago, ButterStuffed said:

Winona's character design seems to be based off of the Rosie the Riveter poster (which from what I understand was a poster empowering women to do what was considered men's work in the 1940s) and I assumed the rest of the workers were female because of the theme implied by Winona's design. Also atleast 3/4 of the people standing outside also are clearly female with the bows and the buns so it doesn't seem far fetched that she is probably a female as well. The tufts of hair coming out of the front of her bandanna also scream old timey women's hairdo to me for some reason.

As for the necro-ing from what I understand the reason people don't like it is that most of the time when a thread is necro'd the purpose of the thread had already been fulfilled at that point. The question has been answered, the problem has been solved, or the discussion has been had. Most people don't really bother looking at the date on thread on the front page (since why would you honestly) and get irritated that their time was wasted looking at a thread that had long since died and which they may have already participated in.

The only exceptions to the "No Necromancy" I see is if the thread is made with the intent of inviting comments showing pictures, playing some forum game or someone is keeping it up to date with information people want.

I personally think that most people react far too harshly to necromancers since most of the time they are totally unaware that they are digging up a dead thread and sometimes they are actually asking a question or adding a thought in which context with the rest of the thread is helpful for the reader. People could definitely be nicer since there is no benefit in my eyes at least from being hostile about this kind of thing.

But, that's just my opinion.

I agree 100% that Winona's design is based off Rosie the Riveter. That being said, I re-analyzed the short and found this:
image.thumb.png.adc9c58b9b1a0e1965b8de6fc66caa11.png

It seems the Voxola factory has both male and female workers. Additionally, this event takes place 20 years prior in 1919, so I don't think it would make sense for the short to anachronistically portray the "Rosie the Riveter theme" despite the influence in Winona's physical appearance.

Tbh I'm still struggling with the logic here. So the people who read a necro'd thread blame the necromancer for "wasting time" typing out a harmless response to a thread they willingly chose to read and simultaneously chose to not read the date of said thread?

2 minutes ago, Rinkusan said:

Tbh I'm still struggling with the logic here. So the people who read a necro'd thread blame the necromancer for "wasting time" typing out a harmless response to a thread they willingly chose to read and simultaneously chose to not read the date of said thread?

I was a bit unclear I think.

The reader is annoyed that the necromancer necro'd a thread and unintentionally tricked people into thinking that there is a new thread with new discussion on the front page. A good example for this particular forum is that sometimes old update threads will get necro'd by people asking questions in the thread. People will see that the thread is an update thread and not realize that it is an old update thread because they are usually just titled [Game Update] - (update number nobody commits to memory). Then since most people probably don't regularly check the date of a thread (since it is reasonable to assume the front page has the most recently made threads) they end up wasting their time looking through a thread that they've already seen. Does that make sense?

That or because the dead thread is taking up space in the front page.

The reason for being annoyed is subjective but I think a majority of people who do dislike necromancy dislike it because of either/or the reasons I just mentioned.

4 hours ago, ButterStuffed said:

I was a bit unclear I think.

The reader is annoyed that the necromancer necro'd a thread and unintentionally tricked people into thinking that there is a new thread with new discussion on the front page. A good example for this particular forum is that sometimes old update threads will get necro'd by people asking questions in the thread. People will see that the thread is an update thread and not realize that it is an old update thread because they are usually just titled [Game Update] - (update number nobody commits to memory). Then since most people probably don't regularly check the date of a thread (since it is reasonable to assume the front page has the most recently made threads) they end up wasting their time looking through a thread that they've already seen. Does that make sense?

That or because the dead thread is taking up space in the front page.

The reason for being annoyed is subjective but I think a majority of people who do dislike necromancy dislike it because of either/or the reasons I just mentioned.

Oh I see. So for some necromancers, necroing depending on context is basically a trolling tactic?

But I mean, even then, the date of the thread shows up right under the title. That aside, thanks for the clarification; I think I understand it a bit more now; it's kind of like an easily avoidable pseudo-rick roll.

Also, I just realized that one of the threads I was going to tl;dr is archived. Do you happen to know if there's a way to un-archive it?

Because only a few of the radios were actually manufactured, I'd assume they were shipped out one at a time whenever they were made. So yeah, I think it's possible Wilson just bought it when he saw one. I also have a theory that Wagstaff is one of Wilson's relatives, maybe an uncle or grandfather, and Wagstaff sent the radio to him before the factory burnt down. 

3 hours ago, Blueleaf12 said:

Because only a few of the radios were actually manufactured, I'd assume they were shipped out one at a time whenever they were made. So yeah, I think it's possible Wilson just bought it when he saw one. I also have a theory that Wagstaff is one of Wilson's relatives, maybe an uncle or grandfather, and Wagstaff sent the radio to him before the factory burnt down. 

Right; knowing that only a few were made is why I want to know the factory manufacturing model back in 1919. If radios were actually shipped to retail in bulk, then that means it's impossible for Wilson to have bought the radio, which implies that his acquisition of one of the few radios in existence makes him connected to the factory itself in some way.

Interesting claim; could you share the evidence for this theory?

If Wilson was directly connected to Voxola, I feel like he'd show up on Winona's corkboard in some way. Because he doesn't, it's also possible Wilson maybe got the radio second hand from someone. This would possibly explain Wilson's absence on Winona's board, because likely by then, Winona was already in the Constant and Voxola burnt down, so she'd no longer keep up on it. 

The only real evidence I have of Wagstaff and Wilson's connection is the fact that Wagstaff and Wilson look somewhat similar. Mostly with their hair, and both being in the sciences. It's a bit of a stretch, but that's all I really got. 

11 minutes ago, Blueleaf12 said:

This would possibly explain Wilson's absence on Winona's board ...

These are age old quotes so they may not hold water as much anymore, but...

1890s - 1906: William Carter origin story
1906: William and Charlie enter the DS world. 
1906 - 1910ish: Some crazy stuff happens that we haven't told you about yet.... 
1910ish - 1921: The various playable characters get pulled into the DS world.
1921: Wilson gets pulled in (Forbidden Knowlege trailer).
*THE ORIGINAL GAME + ROG STARTS HERE*
?: Wilson lives in DSworld for a while. Dies a lot, eventually finds Maxwell's door and confronts Maxwell
?: Wilson replaces Maxwell on the Nightmare Throne, Maxwell becomes Waxwell.

?: Some other crazy stuff happens that we haven't told you about yet.... 

?: The DST plotline begins.

The radio is a Voxola PR-76, manufactured in 1919 by the Voxola Radio company of Sidney, Ohio. The radio offered revolutionary sound and reception quality for the time, and was promoted by an intense national marketing campaign. Very few units were actually produced, because the factory was destroyed in a fire only days after production began. Voxola founder Robert Wagstaff went missing the night of the fire, and the company declared bankruptcy soon thereafter.

Assuming the timeline is still accurate that means Wilson was taken after Winona—so naturally there'd be no connection to pin-up since nothing had happened yet.

3 minutes ago, Blueleaf12 said:

If Wilson was directly connected to Voxola, I feel like he'd show up on Winona's corkboard in some way. Because he doesn't, it's also possible Wilson maybe got the radio second hand from someone. This would possibly explain Wilson's absence on Winona's board, because likely by then, Winona was already in the Constant and Voxola burnt down, so she'd no longer keep up on it. 

The only real evidence I have of Wagstaff and Wilson's connection is the fact that Wagstaff and Wilson look somewhat similar. Mostly with their hair, and both being in the sciences. It's a bit of a stretch, but that's all I really got. 

Honestly, I think the only reason why he doesn't show up on the link-analysis board is because Wilson at this point hasn't entered the Constant. Wilson is dragged in by Maxwell in 1921. The factory fire happens in 1919, which is pretty late in the timeline; Woodie, Wicker, and for sure Wendy were likely sucked into the Constant before Winona, which is why Winona was able to reference their disappearances (and by proxy them) on the board.

https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Story_Line#cite_note-timeline-0

Ah, I see. I mean yeah, their hairstyles are somewhat similar. As you can tell from the OP though, I'm very skeptical of appearance-based evidence. I'll try to see if I can find anything connecting the two characters.

@Zeklo We posted the same argument within 5 seconds of each other. What kind of sorcery is this?

7 minutes ago, Rinkusan said:

Ah, I see. I mean yeah, their hairstyles are somewhat similar. As you can tell from the OP though, I'm very skeptical of appearance-based evidence. I'll try to see if I can find anything connecting the two characters.

Yeah it is a bit of a stretch. I know I'm not the only one who thinks this, though. 

It's possible someone else originally had the unit, and maybe sold it after some time; possibly as a collector's item, but maybe for some other ulterior reasons. Maybe the original owner thought it was haunted, if Maxwell was harassing them through the radio and tempting them with whatever their heart desired? I could totally see Wilson disregarding it being haunted and using it like normal, until the Forbidden Knowledge trailer. 

I guess what I also meant earlier with Wilson not appearing on Winona's board is that yes, he was tempted in 1921, but if he got the radio from Voxola, he would likely be around the area in 1919 if he didn't buy it secondhand. So it's possible she could have took note of him, but never finished her investigation into him because she was sucked in. However, if the radios were gonna be nationwide, I doubt she'd keep an eye on everyone that would have gotten one. So this also feels like a stretch lmao

Archived