My very first youtube video and challange!

Ever had a crazy idea that's too bad or too complicated to actually play?

Maybe you don't want to be a load to your friends, maybe you don't have the time; or maybe you just value your mental health! Whatever the reason, I've come to make those terrible ideas of yours a reality. If you would like me to play an excentric run, I'm all ears!

On 4/29/2020 at 4:08 PM, Clawder said:

If you would like me to play an excentric run, I'm all ears!

There is one challenge I've been cooking up for at least 5 months now, and I can't tell you how long I've waited for a thread like this to pop up.

My challenge for you:

• You start the game in your choice of either an endless Autumn or Long Autumn with shorter seasons (this is to make it fair enough to survive).
  • 4 Pinecones, 10 Grass Tufts, 10 Saplings, 3 Moleworms (for digging up burrows), 1 Butterfly (alive), 9 Berry Bushes, 1 pre-crafted Firepit, 1 Flint-Based tool, and 1 Spider Egg are the items (aside from character items) that you are allowed to start with.
  • In world settings, you must disable everything / set everything to its lowest value if unable to disable it such as World Regrowth (including caves) except for: Reeds, Beehives, Butterflies, Beefalo, Disease, Birds, and Bosses.

The idea I had behind this challenge is that it forces the players to survive by growing everything manually and over a long process, and requires a little forward-thinking / choosing what craftables to use you precious resources on. For example, since you start with 4 pinecones you will need to wait for them to grow into tall trees before you can cut them down in order to get more pinecones than what you started with. This item list also means that foraging for food is much more difficult as you no longer have the ability to go find some more in the forest. Sanity can be an issue early on, especially without things like cactus flesh and green caps being easily accessible anymore.

I've tried this challenge enough to tell you that some characters are much better suited for it than others, and also there are a lot of things left over from world settings that one could still use to their advantage (Pig King for gold and Lunar Island just to name a couple). 

My top 6 (personal favorite) characters to play with this:

• Willow - Lighter is very resource friendly and lasts awhile, meanwhile Bernie can be a huge help when fighting early on.
  • Wendy - Abigail is amazing for fighting and is available from the start, and the Sisturn is a very reliable way to get sanity earlier on.
  • Wickerbottom - Growing plants faster is and amazing ability to have here, although insomnia may be an issue as it is generally a primary way to recover sanity and health early on.
  • Wigfrid - Starting out with a helmet (let alone being able to craft one without pig skin) and a battle spear makes her one of the best people to fight with. Meatballs are generally the best food item you will be able to make, so not much will affect her negatively in terms of her diet.
  • Woodie - Having an infinite axe is great for chopping trees without wasting precious resources, and his were-forms (especially Moose) can be helpful in a pinch. Finally, Were-Goose allows him to find the Lunar Island faster than normal which can be a major advantage.
  • Webber - Silk is a incredibly valuable resource that is going to be used a lot in recipes you need such as: Bird Trap, Bug Net (big one), Fishing Rod / Sea Fishing Rod, Tent / Siesta (another big one), and sewing kits; that said, having a beard to grow silk as well as easier access to monster meat is nothing to sneeze at either. 

EDIT: I'm changing a few things to the list that are necessary such as removing ponds and including butterflies.

20 minutes ago, Owlrus98 said:

There is one challenge I've been cooking up for at least 5 months now, and I can't tell you how long I've waited for a thread like this to pop up.

My challenge for you:

• You start the game in your choice of either an endless Autumn or Long Autumn with shorter seasons (this is to make it fair enough to survive).
  • 4 Pinecones, 10 Grass Tufts, 10 Saplings, 3 Moleworms (for digging up burrows), 1 Butterfly (alive), 9 Berry Bushes, 1 pre-crafted Firepit, and 1 Spider Egg are the items (aside from character items) that you are allowed to start with.
  • In world settings, you must disable everything (including caves) except for: Reeds, Beehives, Ponds, Beefalo, Disease, Birds, and Bosses.

The idea I had behind this challenge is that it forces the players to survive by growing everything manually and over a long process, and requires a little forward-thinking / choosing what craftables to use you precious resources on. For example, since you start with 4 pinecones you will need to wait for them to grow into tall trees before you can cut them down in order to get more pinecones than what you started with. This item list also means that foraging for food is much more difficult as you no longer have the ability to go find some more in the forest. Sanity can be an issue early on, especially without things like cactus flesh and green caps being easily accessible anymore.

I've tried this challenge enough to tell you that some characters are much better suited for it than others, and also there are a lot of things left over from world settings that one could still use to their advantage (Pig King for gold and Lunar Island just to name a couple). 

My top 6 (personal favorite) characters to play with this:

• Willow - Lighter is very resource friendly and lasts awhile, meanwhile Bernie can be a huge help when fighting early on.
  • Wendy - Abigail is amazing for fighting and is available from the start, and the Sisturn is a very reliable way to get sanity earlier on.
  • Wickerbottom - Growing plants faster is and amazing ability to have here, although insomnia may be an issue as it is generally a primary way to recover sanity and health early on.
  • Wigfrid - Starting out with a helmet (let alone being able to craft one without pig skin) and a battle spear makes her one of the best people to fight with. Meatballs are generally the best food item you will be able to make, so not much will affect her negatively in terms of her diet.
  • Woodie - Having an infinite axe is great for chopping trees without wasting precious resources, and his were-forms (especially Moose) can be helpful in a pinch. Finally, Were-Goose allows him to find the Lunar Island faster than normal which can be a major advantage.
  • Webber - Silk is a incredibly valuable resource that is going to be used a lot in recipes you need such as: Bird Trap, Bug Net (big one), Fishing Rod / Sea Fishing Rod, Tent / Siesta (another big one), and sewing kits; that said, having a beard to grow silk as well as easier access to monster meat is nothing to sneeze at either. 

this is awesome and I'm stealing it :)

Like, honestly I'm hyped to try this

wait how would you dig moles for flint w/o a shovel?

also butterflies would be enabled too

or wait, maybe get the flint from birds...

im dumb nvm

11 hours ago, Owlrus98 said:

My challenge for you:

• 4 Pinecones, 10 Grass Tufts, 10 Saplings, 3 Moleworms (for digging up burrows), 1 Butterfly (alive), 9 Berry Bushes, 1 pre-crafted Firepit, and 1 Spider Egg are the items (aside from character items) that you are allowed to start with.
  • In world settings, you must disable everything (including caves) except for: Reeds, Beehives, Ponds, Beefalo, Disease, Birds, and Bosses.

Alright, since you asked for it, it will be coming!
It might take a little time though, since I'm just now learning to use console commands, lol.

Well, I have that "March of Civilization" thing...but it needs to be massively retooled since it was first written before "Return of Them". Basically I'm waiting until there's a bit of a gap between new content things so I can look over the newer stuff and be like "Okay, now how would THIS fit into the challenge?  Where would _this_ new thing go, order-wise?  How do the newer mechanics change (a) and (b) already-existing parts of it?" etc.

But the BASIC basic idea is thus:  You play through Don't Starve Together not unlocking things by the _game's_ technology levels, but when they were roughly invented _in real life_.  (VERY roughly, in some cases, and there's some things that just don't make any real-life sense that you just gotta allow otherwise you die--like endothermic fire.)  Like...you start off as a hunter-gatherer, and the only things you're allowed to make are basic armor, spear, traps, basic fires of both types, a normal firepit, a thermal stone, and earmuffs because they still look like they were made out of fur instead of processed fabric.  Somewhere around here I have a screenshot of Walani posing with all the stuff you're allowed to use in the first year, lemme see if I can dig that up...

dstcivday13allowedstuff.png.b65f9980dd994cd32a1d2d62b6545ce2.png 

...I stand corrected; she was actually _chicken dancing_ in this picture, not posing. But anyway. If it ain't here your hunter-gatherer self can't use it until after the first four seasons have passed.  (There's also a torch behind her, but it's the Tragic Torch so it kinda blends in with her black hair.  But yes, torches are allowed.)

The thermal stone is actually an Alchemy Engine recipe, but I allow it in the FIRST year because....it's a rock.  The idea of "heat up hard thing that lasts long time, put in clothes/bed for warm" is pretty darn old. 

Spoiler

They used to use flatirons in the sheets in the winter back in the day (and heck YES that's unsafe, but so's freezing to death), and I remember a part in the "Little House on the Prairie" books where a family friend was gonna have to leave during a blizzard, and walk a long ways in the snow, and Ma made him a couple of baked potatoes _to carry in his pockets_.  The thermal stone always reminds me of that.

Anyway each chapter lasts an entire year, so that's (without messing with the seasons, anyway) 70 days of being a hunter-gatherer.  Then each subsequent chapter has you unlocking more stuff along vaguely historical lines, such as first figuring out how to bring already-known beneficial plants to where you live (shovelling berry bushes, twigs and grass tufts), then basic farming (basic farms, duh) then you figure out crop rotation (advanced farms), I even went and did research into when the first leather armour was so I could place football helmets in the proper timepline place... (Turns out that's a hard one to look up ancient versions of, because, well, leather rots.  It doesn't stick around the way metal and stone do. But apparently there were some people in Ancient Greek times who used _bone_ helmets with leather linings, so...yeah.  You can have a football helmet pretty early.)  I'm even enough of a stickler for historical accuracy that I wouldn't allow myself to have what's technically just an aesthetic item--a pet!--until I hit the right stage.  Why?  I wanted a cat and cats didn't get "domesticated" _until humans started using agriculture_... : P

A suggested mod, if you can use them, would be "Pickle It!", as preserving food that way is also quite ancient, and would be a good step between just-hope-you-eat-it-all-before-it-rots in your inventory, and full-out fridges.  I was also considering ways to simulate a plague to recover from, or allowing a disaster to befall you such as Deerclops or a summer wildfire taking out your camp to represent big world-event disasters (on a lighter note, there was also:  "Age of Discovery!--explore the entire world and then make maps for everyone!"), but I'm not sure of that.  In the last year's worth of the challenge, you're just up to regular Don't Starve gameplay and can use whatever.

Spoiler

Me, I named my "civilization" (base) "Starvania" as originally a joke placeholder name, but then it stuck.  I also change my own title and make a new sign to reflect whatever type of "government" we're up to, outside the base, which is how "High Priestess of Starvania" happened.  It's like camp, village, town, city-state, empire, country, titles start as like Chief, King/Queen, eventually President or Prime Minister...  Like how your title changes in the Civilization games as you switch to different government types.  This WAS, after all, heavily influenced by those games.

It's the details of what exactly comes when that needs tweaking, 'cos there is a LOT of new sea stuff to work in, and tweaked mechanics on older stuff too.  So...

But if you wanna take that basic idea and then run with it in your own direction go ahead, which is why I brought it up in the first place.  :)

...Notorious

38 minutes ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

I really thought you were gonna get that last dish off in time. 

Me too... me too T_T

1 hour ago, CaptainChaotica said:

But if you wanna take that basic idea and then run with it in your own direction go ahead, which is why I brought it up in the first place. 

I'l tell you what, I'm up for it, but if this is going to happen, I'll need you to be the one to make the item timeline!

If you can put it together for me to follow, it's done!

2 hours ago, PrezPara said:

I don't know how many foods there are that they can both eat, but I know taffy is one.

After an extensive dive through the wiki, I found that it's only taffy, guacamole and royal jelly. Not sure if this is enough to survive! :shock:

57 minutes ago, taako bell said:

image.png.ac124abdea6c891a98117b4a749ffa5a.png

(guacamole wiki page)

Oh my God! it's even worse than I thought... I imagined the quote definitely meant it was edible. Guess it's a dead challenge now, haha!

also, quick tip, you might wanna improve your audio a bit! this doesn't necessarily mean buying a better mic, you can also, for example, cut out long pauses and little noises like 'um' and 'uh,' you can add maybe a little bit of music under your voice to make it less flat, maybe even edit in short jokes or comments throughout the video or time it to music to keep people's attention a little better. just a thought! 

I have an idea for a challenge. Haven't really thought through all the logistics of it, but here it is: sleep for the equivalent of about eight of every twenty four hours, like a real person would be inclined to. Spend a third of every day in a tent or a lean-to or on a straw or fur roll. You'll have to keep getting materials to make things to sleep in, and also you'll have to compensate for all of the hunger you'll lose while sleeping, and time that you won't be spending working.

If you skip a day's sleep, maybe penalize yourself by eating a raw green mushroom or two, or something, because skipping even one day of sleep really messes with you in real life.

I haven't looked into mods, and maybe there's a sleep-meter mod already that drains your health and/or sanity if you don't keep it filled by sleeping. But this was my idea I just had. Do with it as you wish.

11 minutes ago, taako bell said:

also, quick tip, you might wanna improve your audio a bit! this doesn't necessarily mean buying a better mic, you can also, for example, cut out long pauses and little noises like 'um' and 'uh,' you can add maybe a little bit of music under your voice to make it less flat, maybe even edit in short jokes or comments throughout the video or time it to music to keep people's attention a little better. just a thought! 

One of my main problems is definitely the mic... I really want to get a good one. As for the music, I totally agree; I need to look for some tracks to implement from time to time. It's just that these runs take a lot of time in on themselves. This one was 27 days long, which was around 4-5 hours of gameplay already, but maybe I should just prioritize quality over quick uploads, right?

I'll try polishing the edits, even if it takes more time to upload a vid :D

Archived